QAFL 2021

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
So 11 QAFL clubs in 2021. I can only assume they must be leaving the 12th spot open for Southport or Aspley to leave the VFL due to costs. We know there is a two-year transitional period for the VFL in 2021 and 2022 so it wouldn't be surprising to see one or both clubs drop down to the QAFL in the next 12-24 months.

12 seems like a good number of clubs to have going forward so I'd guess one of the existing Brisbane or Gold Coast clubs will be asked to drop down when (if?) Southport and Aspley eventually make their way back into the QAFL. 5 Brisbane clubs, 5 Gold Coast clubs and 2 Sunshine Coast clubs would work but I wouldn't be surprised if it ended up being 6 Brisbane clubs, 4 Gold Coast clubs and 2 Sunshine Coast clubs just due to population bases. Either way, the league seems to be setting itself up nicely going forward.

noosaboy

Club Legend
Jan 20, 2011
Noosa
AFL Club
Collingwood
So 11 QAFL clubs in 2021. I can only assume they must be leaving the 12th spot open for Southport or Aspley to leave the VFL due to costs. We know there is a two-year transitional period for the VFL in 2021 and 2022 so it wouldn't be surprising to see one or both clubs drop down to the QAFL in the next 12-24 months.

12 seems like a good number of clubs to have going forward so I'd guess one of the existing Brisbane or Gold Coast clubs will be asked to drop down when (if?) Southport and Aspley eventually make their way back into the QAFL. 5 Brisbane clubs, 5 Gold Coast clubs and 2 Sunshine Coast clubs would work but I wouldn't be surprised if it ended up being 6 Brisbane clubs, 4 Gold Coast clubs and 2 Sunshine Coast clubs just due to population bases. Either way, the league seems to be setting itself up nicely going forward.
Noosa back at this last week.Good numbers I wouldn’t say over the top but all look in pretty good post Christmas shape and ready to tackle qafl.Fair few new faces but i must say finding accomodation for recruits pretty tricky up here at moment.Have to be honest drove down to Byron yesterday and after passing palm beach on the m1 still don’t think it’s feasible to play footy logistically in this climate.Reckon poets to be at aflq and clubs could work out a more adequate system.Noosa did it for 13 years in phc just think people are more time poor and work orientated these days.Hope I’m wrong and can’t wait to have a crack!

noosaboy

Club Legend
Jan 20, 2011
Noosa
AFL Club
Collingwood
Noosa back at this last week.Good numbers I wouldn’t say over the top but all look in pretty good post Christmas shape and ready to tackle qafl.Fair few new faces but i must say finding accomodation for recruits pretty tricky up here at moment.Have to be honest drove down to Byron yesterday and after passing palm beach on the m1 still don’t think it’s feasible to play footy logistically in this climate.Reckon poets to be at aflq and clubs could work out a more adequate system.Noosa did it for 13 years in phc just think people are more time poor and work orientated these days.Hope I’m wrong and can’t wait to have a crack!
Not poets, position of people in power

noosaboy

Club Legend
Jan 20, 2011
Noosa
AFL Club
Collingwood
I remember a final at PBC back in maybe 2012 and there was a crash on the m1 which noosas bus got caught in. Think they arrived at 1:45 for a 2pm bounce.

That highway is cursed, hopefully nothing like that this year
Yes dezario remember it well bloody nightmare the 4 lane highway from brisy to goldy is awesome but still on Saturday from Beenleigh to Helensvale was almost at a standstill.And yes I know it’s still school holidays but just think it’s not a sustainable Comp logiiscally

noosaboy

Club Legend
Jan 20, 2011
Noosa
AFL Club
Collingwood
Yes dezario remember it well bloody nightmare the 4 lane highway from brisy to goldy is awesome but still on Saturday from Beenleigh to Helensvale was almost at a standstill.And yes I know it’s still school holidays but just think it’s not a sustainable Comp logiiscally
Apologise for splelling of logistically

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Spelling I’m half pissed in byron
Say hi to Thor for us. Might head down there in a week or two to soak up the summer vibes.

When you think about it, it's a bit weird that Byron Bay is only one hour from the Gold Coast and Noosa is two and a half hours from the GC. Letting a Byron Bay club into the QAFL almost makes more sense than Noosa. They would have absolutely no issues convincing retired AFL players to play for them and it would allow juniors living in the northern NSW region to play in a decent standard senior competition. Now some may argue letting a NSW team into the Queensland AFL competition is silly but the Byron Shire falls under the Suns' academy zone and therefore it would actually service Queensland football more than NSW football. Plus, Caloundra already services the Sunny Coast juniors from areas like Noosa.

noosaboy

Club Legend
Jan 20, 2011
Noosa
AFL Club
Collingwood
Pretty true there smy as sight and hearing continues to deteriorate.I like the idea of staying down on the goldy the night before for better preparation however salary cap constraints will put an end to that.Just reckon a 5 hour plus round trip to play a game of community footy will take its toll in the long term.

Apr 26, 2010
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
So any predictions? I’ll have a go

Finalists ( no particular order)

Redland
Noosa
Broadbeach
PBC
Morningside
Labrador

wooden spoon: Grange

big improver: Labrador

sliders:
PBC ( still play finals but not top 3 IMO)
Maroochydore: great first year but harder now with Noosa in.

premiership favourites: Redland

Feb 14, 2007
house
AFL Club
Essendon
Finalists ( in no particular order)

Broadbeach
Redland
Morningside
Labrador
Noosa will win lots of home games
PBC

wooden spoon: Don’t like to say it but Grange. Round 1 vs Noosa at Noosa will give us a better idea of both clubs years

big improver: Labrador

sliders:
PBC will be a very different senior team this year to the past few years.

premiership favourites: Broadbeach

smy1305

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 27, 2011
Buderim
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Pretty true there smy as sight and hearing continues to deteriorate.I like the idea of staying down on the goldy the night before for better preparation however salary cap constraints will put an end to that. Just reckon a 5 hour plus round trip to play a game of community footy will take its toll in the long term.

Haha - I think you are going ok. Its a long trip 4x a year now but hopefully it works out and the blokes embrace it.

noosaboy

Club Legend
Jan 20, 2011
Noosa
AFL Club
Collingwood
Noosa won’t make the finals
Labrador big improvers
Broadbeach big sliders
Redlands are the unknown
Surfers /Grange bottom 2
Have to agree there Ablett with Labrador and not just what they post on Facebook but they were pretty keen on a above 100 k salary cap and malchesk,kolajashi and Daniels from Southport will all be helping each other which is fine.

noosaboy

Club Legend
Jan 20, 2011
Noosa
AFL Club
Collingwood
Maroochydore picked up a few from the western districts area of Vic. They will be competitive I think.
Yeah from all reports Roos picked up the best player from the Hampden league.Think his name is Mclaughlin from Nth warnambool.Noosa picked up 3 or 4 from same area and a forward from Frankston vfa who like a lot do looks slick on the track.Good numbers on the track in all grades with many back after having the shortened COVID season off.Have an abundance of women actually and not quite sure which way to go with this!

AllOrNothing22

Debutant
May 1, 2018
AFL Club
Geelong
Broadbeach
Labrador
Morningside
Redlands
Noosa
PBC

wooden spoon: Grange