Analysis Worst AFL contracts.

Remove this Banner Ad

No-one’s fault but Dylan Roberton is a topical one given his possible retirement.

Makes the AA squad at the end of 2017 having played 22 games. Hawthorn allegedly comes sniffing and the Saints extend his contract on very good coin until the end of 2021.

Collapses against Geelong at the start of 2018 and ends up most likely only playing 5 games across 4 years (including 2021).

Such a shame he didn’t get a good run at it given he is only 29 this year. Definitely had some talent.

On the personal front he probably has made enough over the journey to set his young family up which is great for him.

No-one’s fault but Dylan Roberton is a topical one given his possible retirement.

Makes the AA squad at the end of 2017 having played 22 games. Hawthorn allegedly comes sniffing and the Saints extend his contract on very good coin until the end of 2021.

Collapses against Geelong at the start of 2018 and ends up most likely only playing 5 games across 4 years (including 2021).

Such a shame he didn’t get a good run at it given he is only 29 this year. Definitely had some talent.

On the personal front he probably has made enough over the journey to set his young family up which is great for him.
Sadly accurate, even though it was 100% the right move at the time for an All-Australian quality player coming into his prime.

In terms of money per game, he might have earned over $500,000 for each game he's played since signing that contract. I don't think even Hannebery is getting that kind of value for money.

He's an absolute legend of the club, and a champion. He was offered industry standard for a top five player at a club. It may be a year or two too long, but the dollar value was about right.
Didn't deny he's not a legend of the club.

Industry standard isn't giant long contracts into 30s.

Settle. We all know the trade was.

Forget all the small pieces - Carlton got McGovern, Adelaide got 13 and McAdam, Sydney got points.

Sure it wasn't a top ten, but his point remains.

# # #

Adelaide has been able to accommodate forward Mitch McGovern's wish to join Carlton with a trade officially finalised on Wednesday morning.

As part of a three-way deal, the Crows receive pick No. 13, a future fifth-round selection from Carlton and highly-rated Sturt forward Shane McAdam, who the Blues were able to claim as one of their mature-aged pre-draft access picks.

Carlton gains McGovern and a future third-round selection from Adelaide, while Sydney receives selections No. 26 and 28 from the Blues as well as No. 40 from the Crows.

No, but someone DID trade 13 for it.

No one is going to trade and not get a small bump in points, but it gives you a rough value.
Sydney gave up pick 13 for picks 26, 28 AND 40.

No list manager is going to give up pick 10 for picks 26 and 28. I really don't care if you agree with me or not. It's called common sense.

I still don't know why you have commented on posts from months ago.

Heaps at the Saints

Webster - injured a lot. Still on contract till 2021. Has fallen behind Paton.

Armitage when he was there, had a brief purple patch and got himself a new contract for 3-4 years. Was a trade bait to Richmond till then. He signed his new contract, immediately got injured and never did anything similar for the rest of his contract. Richmond instead got other players and won premierships.

Webster until 2022.

on huge money for a bloke who won't play.

Paton, Wilkie and Coffield have gone past.

Last edited:
What is the absolute maximum length of a contract should a player get?

Personally, I'd get uncomfortable if my club offered anything longer than 5 years and then they'd have to be entering their prime (23 or 24 years of age).

Moneywise it doesn't worry me if a club overpays for a player as each club's management of their salary cap is different.

Pies have clearly had some stinkers in recent years, but the most baffling one to me was Mason Cox's contract at the end of 2017 which was revealed during the 2019 trade period when the Bombers were interested in him.

By the end of 2017, Cox had played a total of 20 AFL games and was due for a promotion to the senior list.

Brisbane came sniffing. List manager at the time, Derek Hine, got spooked by this and gave Cox a three-year deal worth $550k/year. On top of that, there was a games played trigger for a fourth year, which he hit last year. Current list manager Ned Guy is apparently trying to negotiate an additional year beyond 2021 to spread the money.

I am absolutely bewildered at offering a Cat B rookie with 20 games worth of experience that sort of deal.

Pies have clearly had some stinkers in recent years, but the most baffling one to me was Mason Cox's contract at the end of 2017 which was revealed during the 2019 trade period when the Bombers were interested in him.

By the end of 2017, Cox had played a total of 20 AFL games and was due for a promotion to the senior list.

Brisbane came sniffing. List manager at the time, Derek Hine, got spooked by this and gave Cox a three-year deal worth $550k/year. On top of that, there was a games played trigger for a fourth year, which he hit last year. Current list manager Ned Guy is apparently trying to negotiate an additional year beyond 2021 to spread the money.

I am absolutely bewildered at offering a Cat B rookie with 20 games worth of experience that sort of deal.
We should all be thankful he did otherwise the Tigers probably win 4 in a row.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Josh Bruce still has three years left on his contract...

The contract to have the gf at the g for what, 40 years?

Sure I love the gf being at the g as much as anyone else, and if it were ever moved I'd want it at a stadium at least 85k in capacity.

But why the hell sign a contract for 40 years? What's the purpose? The AFL surely have the MCG over a barrel because they're never going to decline having the countries biggest sporting event, but by signing it for so long they lose all flexibility and bargaining power.

There's obviously some benefit in the background but damn it would want to be a pretty big benefit.

Sure I love the gf being at the g as much as anyone else, and if it were ever moved I'd want it at a stadium at least 85k in capacity.

But why the hell sign a contract for 40 years? What's the purpose? The AFL surely have the MCG over a barrel because they're never going to decline having the countries biggest sporting event, but by signing it for so long they lose all flexibility and bargaining power.

There's obviously some benefit in the background but damn it would want to be a pretty big benefit.

From memory wasn't it something to do with the MCC doing something or other.

The details are very hazy, but I recall there being a link with the MCC doing things.

From memory wasn't it something to do with the MCC doing something or other.

The details are very hazy, but I recall there being a link with the MCC doing things.

I could be wrong, but I thought it was something relating to funds being committed by the VIC government for the redevelopment of the Great Southern Stand?

Show had bad Hine and Guy have been as List Managers.

Though Gubby was not lot better with Way over paying for Daniel Wells and Chris Mayne

He's an absolute legend of the club, and a champion. He was offered industry standard for a top five player at a club. It may be a year or two too long, but the dollar value was about right.

Sloane is not worth elite mid $. He's worth about $500k per year. Is grossly overpaid. Gov the worst contract for players with a Crows link, Sloane comfortably next. His contract much worse than Lever.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back