Training 2021 - Preseason Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm off to eat a tub of ice cream. I think I'm going to give up my AFL career aspirations.

Started running recently to get my fitness up and weight down to pre-marriage levels. First 2 weeks have struggled to run the full 2km, doing about 6min kms.
Mind you, I'm late 30s and 20kgs over weight.

Cameron's 11min 2km time trial in comparison doesn't seem that bad, let alone Newman's 9mins 😭

Absolutely agree, that is a shamefully terrible time given the situation - and if correct it is by far the slowest that I have ever heard of at AFL level.

M.Newman's now infamous run in November 2012 was in a time of 9:36 - it was also the second 2km time trial conducted that day (his first run was in 8:13), and occurred just days after the nightclub incident that would sentence him to gaol.

He finished last in both trial runs and was well beaten by Worsfold on each occasion.

The two runs were won by Masten and Dalziell in respective times of 6:05 and 6:48. Newman was lapped by Dalziell during the second run.

If Cameron's time is indeed as bad as to be believed, then Newman's first run time in 2012 of 8:13 would have easily lapped him.

Cameron could arguably be in worse physical condition now than Newman ever was during his time at the club.

It also should not be forgotten that Newman was at the end of his first year in the system then, whereas Cameron is now entering his third preseason.

The difference is in 2012 the club publicly named and shamed Newman's performance, allowing the media to make a story out of it.

Cameron's issues on the other hand are being kept pretty tightly under wraps this year to avoid any unsavory media attention, which is probably a far better method of managing it for both the club and player.

Unfortunately it doesn't change Cameron appearing to be lamentably out of condition at training and that the majority of posters on this forum are likely to have a superior running capacity to what he can achieve right now.

I'm not buying 11 minutes as a 'real' time. If he was on some sort of restricted duties, or told to run to a very slow pace for whatever reason then maybe. But putting in any sort of effort in a 2km TT an athlete (even one who may not have run for 12 months) would be easily able to get sub-5-min-km's.

There is definitely a piece of information missing from the story we have here. What that is (whether he wasn't trying, or whether he was told to complete the run in a certain way, or whether he was completing a running task outside of the TT parameters based on medical advice) we don't know.

I'm not buying 11 minutes as a 'real' time. If he was on some sort of restricted duties, or told to run to a very slow pace for whatever reason then maybe. But putting in any sort of effort in a 2km TT an athlete (even one who may not have run for 12 months) would be easily able to get sub-5-min-km's.

There is definitely a piece of information missing from the story we have here. What that is (whether he wasn't trying, or whether he was told to complete the run in a certain way, or whether he was completing a running task outside of the TT parameters based on medical advice) we don't know.
Looking at that photo I suspect he has s**t himself and is doing the poo shuffle trying to keep it all contained.

Seriously though, I think a number of big assumptions have been made and agree that there is no way, even an unfit, 22 year old AFL footballer would be running 2km above 10 min.

I agree, something must be going on elsewhere as a means of explaining that output as the pace is surely too slow to be considered as his best effort.

It equates to barely 11km/h, which is sluggish even for tempo running.

I suspect (hope) that as you have alluded he received instruction to run laps at 120-130 second pace rather than go flat out.

You sound too smart for BF. I am in rehab - I have been given a programme times to do - no more but planned progression.

Absolutely agree, that is a shamefully terrible time given the situation - and if correct it is by far the slowest that I have ever heard of at AFL level.

M.Newman's now infamous run in November 2012 was in a time of 9:36 - it was also the second 2km time trial conducted that day (his first run was in 8:13), and occurred just days after the nightclub incident that would sentence him to gaol.

He finished last in both trial runs and was well beaten by Worsfold on each occasion.

The two runs were won by Masten and Dalziell in respective times of 6:05 and 6:48. Newman was lapped by Dalziell during the second run.

If Cameron's time is indeed as bad as to be believed, then Newman's first run time in 2012 of 8:13 would have easily lapped him.

Cameron could arguably be in worse physical condition now than Newman ever was during his time at the club.

It also should not be forgotten that Newman was at the end of his first year in the system then, whereas Cameron is now entering his third preseason.

The difference is in 2012 the club publicly named and shamed Newman's performance, allowing the media to make a story out of it.

Cameron's issues on the other hand are being kept pretty tightly under wraps this year to avoid any unsavory media attention, which is probably a far better method of managing it for both the club and player.

Unfortunately it doesn't change Cameron appearing to be lamentably out of condition at training and that the majority of posters on this forum are likely to have a superior running capacity to what he can achieve right now.
Sounds like Cameron is going the reverse Masto.

It is odd if true though, Cameron up to this point has been always super cut with plenty of muscle for a small frame.

I remember Walters rocking up to training for the purple mob early in his career in embarrassing shape. Can’t really remember how Lyon handles it but whatever he did seemed to kick Walters ass into gear. Maybe eagles should take a leaf out of that book.

If Cameron is actually in as bad shape as it sounds, hypothetically would it be worth throwing him on the LTI list and having an extra swing at the mid season? Assuming you can do that of course. Would love to know his actual time. No AFL player should even be near the 10 minute mark for a 2km but I guess we don’t have anything concrete at the moment

Ross steps in close, lays a hand on Michael's chest and whispers throatily, "budding boobs"

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wonder if we ever let woosha in while he was coaching the dockers? Or maybe his kid is there as part of our academy

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

There's not much Lecca wouldn't know about the club, and I don't think we'd be heavily into training strategy at this point anyway. Probably ramping hard at achieving a fitness base before we get into specifics.

Does anyone know if Lecca still has his job with Freo after the coach cutting?

Is Lecca even still at Freo. He would have gone as part of the footy dept cuts last year surely?

Yeah I agree. I ran quicker than that in my 2km warm up session for the gym today and that was going gentle - and I am certainly not in anything like elite athlete shape at the minute.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back