Essendon 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

This thread has people excited that we will be really crap in 2021 when in reality we will just be kind of crap.
Sorry to burst everyones bubble.

This thread has people excited that we will be really crap in 2021 when in reality we will just be kind of crap.
Sorry to burst everyones bubble.

That Essendon effect where non Essendonians are more desperate for us to be crap than be somewhat competitive

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It’s pretty easy being a hindsight hero like you I suppose.
Suggesting you agree with what I said, just don’t like doing so. Fair enough

Playing kids and seeing the future sounds more exciting than topping up and going no where

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Welcome to the last four years at the Blues. It is worth the pain

Suggesting you agree with what I said, just don’t like doing so. Fair enough

Not at all, I’ve already said why it’s a lazy point, as have others.

Being unwilling to engage in a long winded circular discussion with someone who has no clue, doesn’t validate their commentary as correct.

Maybe someone else will, but given you doubled down on your obtuse posting to the one person who did address it at length, I’m doubtful anything meaningful will come from it.

I think Essendon in 2021 will be bad.

BUT

And this is a very big BUT.

I actually think they have decided to take a step down the ladder and a giant leap forward.

Bombers have faced reality and gone down the youth/re-build path.

Sure 2021 will be ugly but I'd rather be ugly with kids than scrap around in 10th with delusions that you are a contender when you aren't.

So at least now they have hope in the future.

They have a spine for the next decade and young star ruckman.

Nice place to start.

As much as I don’t like Dodoro I think we are in a good position for the rebuild.

I like the talls we’ve taken, there’s no guarantees even at the highest ends of the draft but very tall, agile blokes with good endurance and skills is giving yourself a good chance to make it. Should have a bit of success out of Jones, Eyre, Bryan, Reid and Cox.

We have a bunch of likely father sons coming in the next few years that complement the young players we have (Davey x 2, NLM and Misitis boys).

Gives us the freedom to really target the midfield. Should Merrett leave and we get 2 of Horne/Sinn/Sonsie/Rachele the rest of the rebuild should autopilot.

Not at all, I’ve already said why it’s a lazy point, as have others.

Being unwilling to engage in a long winded circular discussion with someone who has no clue, doesn’t validate their commentary as correct.

Maybe someone else will, but given you doubled down on your obtuse posting to the one person who did address it at length, I’m doubtful anything meaningful will come from it.
Your ‘engagement’ consists of name calling and one liner insults because either you cannot understand meaningful discussion or deliberately pretend not to.

It is a pity you are missing out on the chance to reflect and question from another’s perspective and that is your choice to make.

Your ‘engagement’ consists of name calling and one liner insults because either you cannot understand meaningful discussion or deliberately pretend not to.

It is a pity you are missing out on the chance to reflect and question from another’s perspective and that is your choice to make.

Where the discussion was well informed and meaningful I’m happy to engage.

Where it’s lazy hindsight hero stuff, I’m not.

Particularly where it’s obvious that it’s going to be the same circular argument over and over.

Essendon are rebuilding through the draft, doing so in 2017 makes no sense in the context of 2017. Or 2018. When it became clear that Daniher was a chance to leave even though had been held to this contract, they brought 3 talls in. When he left, 4 were brought in, and of those, 2 were clear best available at their draft selections inside the Top-10.

We’ve also either drafted or had on the list a number of potential KPDs in Ambrose, Hartley, Francis, Ridley and Zerk-Thatcher prior to 2019.

But of course you’ll ignore all this and write the same lazy reply all over again.

This entire thread was started by a poster with a bizarre obsession with Essendon and Adrian Dodoro, so that should show you about how seriously it should be taken.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Where the discussion was well informed and meaningful I’m happy to engage.

Where it’s lazy hindsight hero stuff, I’m not.

Particularly where it’s obvious that it’s going to be the same circular argument over and over.

Essendon are rebuilding through the draft, doing so in 2017 makes no sense in the context of 2017. Or 2018. When it became clear that Daniher was a chance to leave even though had been held to this contract, they brought 3 talls in. When he left, 4 were brought in, and of those, 2 were clear best available at their draft selections inside the Top-10.

We’ve also either drafted or had on the list a number of potential KPDs in Ambrose, Hartley, Francis, Ridley and Zerk-Thatcher prior to 2019.

But of course you’ll ignore all this and write the same lazy reply all over again.

This entire thread was started by a poster with a bizarre obsession with Essendon and Adrian Dodoro, so that should show you about how seriously it should be taken.
Ambrose is 29 and hasn’t played 100 career games
Hartley 26 games
Francis 35 games
Ridley 26 games
ZT 11 games

These guys are not ready to take over from Hooker and Hurley and lead either the defence or attack, another two or three years of experience and they would be up around the 70-100 games and ready to go. Ridley about the only one showing enough to suggest he belongs out there and will be reliable. Adding 4 more tall guys doesn’t fix the problem this season or next.

You don’t wait for players to retire before you begin planning to replace them. Hooker turns 33 this year, if the clubs recruiting department hadn’t thought about his longevity in the game in 2017, then you should sack every one of them. Daniher asked to leave a year ago after playing 11 games in two years then left after playing a couple more last season. Don’t believe your club didn’t expect him to be injured or leave.

The fact you have drafted 7 blokes over 195cms in the last two years as well as trading in two more suggests that you had either badly neglected this part of your list or your recruiting has been very, very ordinary.

Imagine who you might have drafted if you hadn’t given 3 first round picks for Shiel and Smith, neither of whom have transformed your midfield?

Your club thought you were close to challenging for a flag and threw away draft capital to not even win a finals game. Now the departing flood of experienced players and the imminent retirement of more has forced you to start a proper rebuild, only your club can’t admit this is what is happening to its supporters. Unfortunately you needed talls so were unable to replace the other departing players and will be relying on natural improvement from the rest of the players that only won 6 games last year even with the help of Saad etc.

If you win enough games to play finals, won’t be too many that will have predicted it to happen. More likely to end up in the bottom 4. Guess it is lucky for you that the 5 teams finishing below you on the ladder last season are also facing difficulties.
The club literally took 5 picks to the draft to rebuild and specifically mentioned that we're looking to the future by fixing our spine first. How is that not admitting that we're rebuilding? There's a whole video about the draft.

In fact, KPD was the most over-supplied area of the ground we had after HB.

BZT will be ready to replace Hurley when he retires pending development. Francis will hopefully cement his place in the side this year. Stewart is likely going to play back when needed like he did last year considering he's already training with the defenders. We really don't need Hooker back there this year anyway so he's more useful up forward.

Out of the 9 talls we drafted/traded over the last 2-3 years, only 3 are KPDs (Reid, Brand and McBride [Irish rookie]). Wright (KPF/ruck), Jones (CHF), Eyre (KPF), Cox (versatile, but I believe he'll be on a wing with his endurance and skills), Bryan (ruck), Phillips (ruck), Brand (KPD), Reid (KPD) and McBride (KPD). From that, you can argue we've been rushing to fix our forwardline and recruiting to bolster our ruck depth considering Brand and McBride are longer-term options, but both have reasonable explanations. Daniher clearly leaves a huge hole in our list so that's a no-brainer. Draper did his ACL, which delayed his development and prompted the disaster that was the 2019 ruck conundrum where we had our 3 first choice ruckmans out injured. Just like anything, injury and development will dictate how successful the strategy is.

Nothing wrong with our recruiting strategy as far as KPPs are concerned. The midfield balance however is bad and that's the thing we've consistently failed at.

Last edited:
Surely they’ve spent all their coin already. Crouch Jones hannerbury and hill.
We were only paying 95% of the cap for a number of years so we banked a lot of cap space it’s allowed us to do what we have done the last couple of years we also traded Bruce who was on a good contract I still think we have our hearts set on chasing Ben king when his next contract is up

Starts in front of most of your midfield. Bigger than Sheil by some margin. Much cheaper too lol.
View attachment 1043439
Lol no he doesn't. Parish, McGrath, Shiel, Merrett, Heppell and Caldwell would all start before him.

If we were giving up pick 8 for Kennedy, then we may as well have accepted Bulldogs' demands and taken an actual gun mid in Dunkley.

5 blokes over 200cm.

Another 7 over 195cm

Not short on talls...
Yep and only two have played over 100 games, the other 10 have played less games collectively than either of Hooker or Hurley.

These anti - Essendon threads are getting worse and worse.

Posters like boundbyblue, @TasmanianSaint and now Jabba73 continually attempt to troll Essendon but no one is disagreeing with you lot that Essendon will struggle to compete with the better teams, in fact, NOT finishing bottom 4 would be an accomploshment.

The constant throwing of stonesin this(BigFooty) glass house is really getting boring, especially when each stone thrown is debunked.

Q) Essendon will struggle for life post Hurley/Hooke
A) Essendon draft KPD's to fill this void post Hooker/Hurley whilst still actively playing

BigFooty) What a stupid thing to do, you have more pressing needs to fill

Q) Essendon need a big bodied mid
A) No viable, good enough mids were avialable for the right price

BigFooty) Essendon is stuid for not drafting one in the draft (no one good enough was available to fill our 'hole')/ The price on Dunkley's head was too high.

Q) Essendon should have planned for life after Joe
A) Perhaps but no top drawer KPF's were available

BigFooty) Essendon should have just taken the deal last year (eventual piks 3 & 9), Dodoro wanted to, Dan Richardson over rode his authority

The constant barrage of utter tripe is monotonous and boring. I love my Bombers, probably more than most, but it seems non Essendon supporters love (to hate) us more which is both sad and pathetic when the only clubs team noteworthy of such an obsession is Richmond with such a sustained period of success.

These anti - Essendon threads are getting worse and worse.

Posters like boundbyblue, @TasmanianSaint and now Jabba73 continually attempt to troll Essendon but no one is disagreeing with you lot that Essendon will struggle to compete with the better teams, in fact, NOT finishing bottom 4 would be an accomploshment.

The constant throwing of stonesin this(BigFooty) glass house is really getting boring, especially when each stone thrown is debunked.

Q) Essendon will struggle for life post Hurley/Hooke
A) Essendon draft KPD's to fill this void post Hooker/Hurley whilst still actively playing

BigFooty) What a stupid thing to do, you have more pressing needs to fill

Q) Essendon need a big bodied mid
A) No viable, good enough mids were avialable for the right price

BigFooty) Essendon is stuid for not drafting one in the draft (no one good enough was available to fill our 'hole')/ The price on Dunkley's head was too high.

Q) Essendon should have planned for life after Joe
A) Perhaps but no top drawer KPF's were available

BigFooty) Essendon should have just taken the deal last year (eventual piks 3 & 9), Dodoro wanted to, Dan Richardson over rode his authority

The constant barrage of utter tripe is monotonous and boring. I love my Bombers, probably more than most, but it seems non Essendon supporters love (to hate) us more which is both sad and pathetic when the only clubs team noteworthy of such an obsession is Richmond with such a sustained period of success.
So are you saying that after not even a season of being the new s**t show you’re already complaining. Remember we’re Carlton supporters and there is plenty of evidence of this occurring towards the blues for over 10 years. Take your turn. Everyone will get one.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back