Top 5 - Most Hated Teams in the AFL Era (poll included)

Most hated club in the afl era?

• Essendon

Votes: 133 33.2%
  • Carlton

Votes: 37 9.2%
  • Hawthorn

Votes: 30 7.5%
  • Brisbane

Votes: 2 0.5%
  • Sydney

Votes: 7 1.7%
  • West Coast

Votes: 26 6.5%
  • Melbourne

Votes: 4 1.0%
  • Other

• Geelong

Votes: 28 7.0%
  • Port Adelaide

• Adelaide

Votes: 13 3.2%
  • Richmond

Votes: 37 9.2%
  • St. Kilda

• GWS

• Bulldogs

• Fremantle

• Gold Coast

• Melbourne

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • North Melbourne

Votes: 8 2.0%
  • Collingwood

Votes: 36 9.0%
  • Melbourne (someone please vote Melbourne)

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Hate for Collingwood? Shouldn't it be pity?

I can understand the 'hate' or even reverence for clubs that actually have success, can anyone link any lengthy period of success for the Pies? Not withstanding two flags two decades apart, does anyone have hate or reverence because of their success now?

If anyone should hate Collingwood it should be Collingwood supporters, everyone else should love em, I know WC fans do, cats fans do, lions fans do. What's to hate?

Maybe it's an Ed and Bucks for oppo fans, fair enough, but let's not pretend the Pies are hated for their success coz there virtually is none.

- 'hating' Collingwood was a narrative created by Collingwood to motivate, galvanise and achieve success for Collingwood. Us against them, blah blah blah, biggest club in the land. Its all fantasy and none of it is true.

It's true for me.

Because there's NOTHING to 'hate' about Collingwood.

There's plenty.

Collingwood for sure. Run by a goose, run like goose farm, blocking up media inches when the reigning premiers and other improving clubs should be getting some press, and not mention their obnoxious Ed sycophant supporters, so I'll be kind and won't mention them.

Insta Essendon with my selection. Supporters are flogs, their admin are flogs, Dodos a flog, they knowingly hired a drug cheat to get an advantage, salary cap breaches in the 90s and yet to this day they still flog it up with their king, Dodo who has no peer.

Atrocious list going nowhere and their players are starting to abandon that rat infested ship.

Here's hoping it can go for another 20 years.

I do however feel for James Hird, absolute champion footballer who unfortunately is associated with that train wreck of a club.

I can understand the 'hate' or even reverence for clubs that actually have success, can anyone link any lengthy period of success for the Pies? Not withstanding two flags two decades apart, does anyone have hate or reverence because of their success now?

If anyone should hate Collingwood it should be Collingwood supporters, everyone else should love em, I know WC fans do, cats fans do, lions fans do. What's to hate?

Maybe it's an Ed and Bucks for oppo fans, fair enough, but let's not pretend the Pies are hated for their success coz there virtually is none.
Lol. I used to say similar about Richmond during our multi decade stint in the wilderness: " No one hates Richmond more than Richmond supporters"

Lol. I used to say similar about Richmond during our multi decade stint in the wilderness: " No one hates Richmond more than Richmond supporters"

And now Richmond is more revered than any other club for obvious reasons, yet STILL f*n Collingwood gets more media attention or at least the same, what gives? What's so f*n great about Collingwood?, from where I sit it's nothin but frustration and seemingly perpetual false hope.

Over here Freo and WC are bitter rivals and Collingwood is seen as a joke, as it should be.

Good to see Essendon at the top of the table. Where we belong.

I voted for the scum. I hate them so much that I won't even post their name.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

LOL's at Freo with no votes. So insignificant not even WCE supporters can't give a rats about them.

Hang in there guys as your time is just around the corner.:thumbsu:
Hate isn't the opposite of love. Indifference is.

Good to see Essendon at the top of the table. Where we belong.

I voted for the scum. I hate them so much that I won't even post their name.

You're kidding right? The bomb outs aren't hated for their success, they're hated for .......................... other reasons. I like them (at the moment) just as much as I hate dislike my own club right now.

You're kidding right? The bomb outs aren't hated for their success, they're hated for .......................... other reasons. I like them (at the moment) just as much as I hate dislike my own club right now.
It's preferable to be hated than ignored...like Freo.

It's preferable to be hated than ignored...like Freo.

And because of our continued lack of success, Collingwood in WA at least is laughed at as a joke, and so it should be.

Slowly but surely this once proud club is becoming irrelevant from a success perspective. Your mob is light years away from irrelevance in that respect.

Greek going for Carlton makes no sense. Your parents raised you wrong.

Italians - Carlton
Greeks - Richmond and Collingwoo
Wtf 😂😂

I never bothered until your supporters got their knickers in a knot

'We are hated too!!! We are too!!'

Im just giving reasons, you keep bouncing back and forth

Plenty of Greeks go for Carlton though?Quite a few Greeks moved to Australia, during and after the Greek civil war. Majority came to Melbourne, where they populated suburbs such as Richmond, Collingwood,Carlton etc etc, my family being one that lived in Carlton.

So there you go, it does make sense why my family follows Carlton. Carlton has always had a Greek fanbase, it may not be as big as Collingwoods, but we exist and are one of the biggest.

Quite a few Greeks followed north melbourne aswell, simply because they share the same colours as the greek flag.

There's only one club I hate, and I despise them.

Carlton.

I have enjoyed every minute of their mediocrity over the past two decades, and long may it continue.

Geelong, Hawthorn, West Coast and Sydney - I respect the way these teams go about their football. Long term success on the field - that is what we all aspire to.

Melbourne and Richmond - Nothing but pity for these two teams. Both go decades on end without contending for premierships; not sure how both teams are still in the competition to be honest.

Feelings for other teams come and go on a year to year basis.
Yeah, observing years of your anti carlton posts, i was beginning to think you might actually dislike us!

Majority of us Carlton fans hate Essendon more then Collingwood, i don't even know if I'd have them as 2nd hated lol.

West Coast Eagles, especially from 1990 onwards when they got Malthouse and knocked down the old concrete terraces and grassed bank at Subiaco Oval to make the ground sanitized and corporate. Also, as a Perth person, the culture was you were expected to support Eagles because they were viewed as a state-team (and as a football club so no logic there). You were expected to support West Coast and old loyalties to your existing WAFL and VFL club suddenly overnight counted for nothing. In fact to abandon your Melbourne-based VFL club was even viewed favourably whilst to still support WAFL was viewed as quaint, weird and hopelessly old-fashioned and boring. The world changed overnight - I never really adjusted!

Majority of us Carlton fans hate Essendon more then Collingwood, i don't even know if I'd have them as 2nd hated lol.
Probably a younger generation thing.

There hasn't been much of a rivalry between Collingwood and Carlton for the past 35 years or so.

I don't think we've played a final against one another since the 1981 Grand Final?

1985 to 1988 - Pies shite, Carlton good
1990 to 1992 - Pies good, Carlton shite
1993 to 2001 - Pies shite, Carlton good
Since 2002 - Pies good, Carlton shite

Whereas Carlton v. Essendon since the 1990's:
1993 Grand Final
1999/2000/2001
Since the early 2000's, whilst it has been a cripple battle, the teams have usually been evenly matched.

I reckon my vintage and older, the Carlton v. Collingwood mutual hatred is common.

Last edited:

I have no issue with Collingwood at all. It's actually one of my favourite Victorian clubs. Your supporters aren't as arrogant as some of the other bigger melbourne clubs and seem to be grounded about where the playing list is at most years. There's a couple melbourne based clubs that always think they're sure things every single pre season like clockwork. Collingwood definitely don't fit that narrative.

Last edited:
Plenty of Greeks go for Carlton though?Quite a few Greeks moved to Australia, during and after the Greek civil war. Majority came to Melbourne, where they populated suburbs such as Richmond, Collingwood,Carlton etc etc, my family being one that lived in Carlton.

So there you go, it does make sense why my family follows Carlton. Carlton has always had a Greek fanbase, it may not be as big as Collingwoods, but we exist and are one of the biggest.

Quite a few Greeks followed north melbourne aswell, simply because they share the same colours as the greek flag.
Kouta obviously would have helped. I retract my comments, you've convinced me. I also must say - I know a lot of italians that go for Carlton, In fact, all of them do lol.

Back