NO TROLLS Transgender Discrimination AFL Lawsuit

Lip Gallagher

Club Legend
Nov 11, 2020
AFL Club
Collingwood
Are you being a flog deliberately or what?
Why the quotation marks around the name and why are you using masculine pronouns for someone that is now female?

You can have an opinion on the current debate without the need to be an ignoramus
No need for hysterics now.

Apr 23, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
No not really.

Apparently it is, given your posting on this topic.

Whether you agree with their choices or not, referring to people as 'transgenders' is pretty disrespectful, particularly when you know that someone posting in this thread has been pretty respectful about answering questions and sharing their views and experiences on the topic.

Lip Gallagher

Club Legend
Nov 11, 2020
AFL Club
Collingwood
Apparently it is, given your posting on this topic.

Whether you agree with their choices or not, referring to people as 'transgenders' is pretty disrespectful, particularly when you know that someone posting in this thread has been pretty respectful about answering questions and sharing their views and experiences on the topic.
I didn't know the term was disrespectful, are you genuinely outraged or are you outraged on behalf of someone else? There's a lot of that going around.

Apr 23, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
I didn't know the term was disrespectful, are you genuinely outraged or are you outraged on behalf of someone else? There's a lot of that going around.

Not at all outraged, just seems a consistent theme where people posting on this topic lose any semblance of respect for other people, so when someone new comes along posting and calling kirsti a he, I think it's pretty poor form.

Jan 14, 2016
AFL Club
West Coast
Yes I understood that the first time.

I suppose the same argument was conducive to indigenous people back in the day.

Comparing the trans issue with past indigenous treatment is actually damn disrespectful and callous to all that indigenous ppl have been through and still go through.

Helpful hints: I would keep such comparisons to your anonymous online persona and not air them in public.

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
Not at all outraged, just seems a consistent theme where people posting on this topic lose any semblance of respect for other people, so when someone new comes along posting and calling kirsti a he, I think it's pretty poor form.

Just about everybody gets tangled up in the terminology. Male/female woman/man gender/sex sex/sexuality gender/cisgender. Pretty much everyone "misuses" these words along the way, and the usage tends to vary in the individual case as well.

Imposition of mandatory meanings, especially when they are changes to longstanding customary meaning, are thought inhibitors.

Apr 23, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Imposition of mandatory meanings, especially when they are changes to longstanding customary meaning, are thought inhibitors.

There's a difference between an innocent mistake and malicious intent though, the content of many of the posts show that there's clearly malice behind it.

It's a complex topic but it can be discussed while still being respectful of actual people.

Apr 23, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
No, I know exactly how social media works. It's an echo chamber for the morally outraged, a vehicle for the Karen's of the world to make themselves feel important and 'heard', a place were the emotions of certain minority groups claim to be more important than anything else. Basically the domain of nutters.

Now replace 'social media' with 'the AFL' and read it again.

What's your point?

The AFL clearly like to stage manage their appearance. It's not a surprise they don't want to come out and say they simply don't want Mouncey to play in the women's comp, so they're dancing around the issue as best they can without getting anyone offside.

Lip Gallagher

Club Legend
Nov 11, 2020
AFL Club
Collingwood
Maybe it's not intended as a disrespectful thing in your case, in which case I apologise for lumping you in with all the posters who have cropped up in this thread and clearly do intend these things disrespectfully.
Yeah i get it, i can come across that way, it wasn't intended though.

Roby

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jul 27, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Comparing the trans issue with past indigenous treatment is actually damn disrespectful and callous to all they have been thought and still go through.

Helpful hints: I would keep such comparisons to your anonymous online persona and not air them in public.

Sorry?

Roby

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jul 27, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Just goes to show the affect some ignorant posters posses when they can't discuss something without pushing their own agenda when someone leaves the forum.

You can disagree in discussion but there is certain rules you need to abide by, like showing dignity to other posters. And certainly you can have your radical view if you want, but don't pretend to be respectful but then use subtext to convey your disrespectful views.

Again, if you are here purely to troll, cause arguements or throw your own agendas around, just scroll past or post elsewhere. Bigfooty has a wide range of posters and we value them all. Discuss respectfully, debate like adults without personal insults or be threadbanned and possibly infracted.
Please don’t quote or argue, just report trolling so the mods see it.
Thank you.

Apr 23, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Grown ups are able to discuss differing points of view understanding that not everyone is from the same cultural/social background and had the same life experiences.

Without presuming exactly what your view point actually is, cancelling your account because 'some' ppl don't think the same as you is the non 'grown up' position to take.

I'm sure kirsti can defend themselves, but having seen their posting over time and the monumental amount of tolerance shown when people refuse to discuss anything on this topic respectfully, I think the comment is quite reasonable.

https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/ama-transgender-player-kirsti-miller.1105520/ for example should give you some context around kirsti.

People don't have to agree with kirsti's position, but I do think we can be respectful of the person and have a discussion without the more toxic comments people make.

Jan 14, 2016
AFL Club
West Coast
I'm sure kirsti can defend themselves, but having seen their posting over time and the monumental amount of tolerance shown when people refuse to discuss anything on this topic respectfully, I think the comment is quite reasonable.

https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/ama-transgender-player-kirsti-miller.1105520/ for example should give you some context around kirsti.

People don't have to agree with kirsti's position, but I do think we can be respectful of the person and have a discussion without the more toxic comments people make.

I agree but the reality is that expectation really goes only one way doesn't it?
I mean my comment you quoted has been deleted already, just for stating grownups are able to discuss things.

Apr 23, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
I agree but the reality is that expectation really goes only one way doesn't it?

Depends how people present their argument I guess, I think it's fine to disagree with the premise Mouncey is arguing, so long as it's done so in a way that respects the individual. We're pretty ok with not using language that would obviously offend other groups of people these days.

I mean my comment you quoted has been deleted already.

I didn't think it was particularly problematic, and was probably a good one to prompt some context around kirsti's response.

OniAu

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 4, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
We've just got women playing the game and now some think they should be expected to play against females who were born male, sure i get the testosterone thing but males are typically born with much larger skeletal structures.

Lots of people are unable to play sport for a vast variety of reasons, unfortuantly being transgender should be one of them, unless they choose to play (in this case) in a mens comp. (IMO)

Cant agree more.

Posts have been deleted because they have nothing to do with the topic, which is a transgender discrimination lawsuit. Stick to the topic, don’t troll or act superior, lay off other posters and there’s no problem with having an opinion either way. If a user wishes to leave BF that’s their right and no one needs to question them.

Jan 14, 2016
AFL Club
West Coast
Depends how people present their argument I guess, I think it's fine to disagree with the premise Mouncey is arguing, so long as it's done so in a way that respects the individual. We're pretty ok with not using language that would obviously offend other groups of people these days.

Yeah agreed. I'm all for live and let live - and would call someone by whatever gender term they made clear to me they would like to be referred to by (without having to learn zee, ze etc).
But being from a cultural non-white background I can understand the more culturally conservative other side of the debate too.
We all know that both sides of the debate can get feral at the other side with what they have to say - but I think we all know the enforcement of the niceties, whether online or in reality, are only ever really enforced going one way.

Back