Player Watch Aliir Aliir

Remove this Banner Ad

Because it's been nearly two weeks™

Why Sydney traded Aliir Aliir

Sydney Swans recruiting and list strategist Kinnear Beatson says Tom McMartin’s emergence as a key defender made the decision to trade Aliir Aliir a little easier.

Speaking on SEN Mornings on Wednesday, Beatson said the Swans needed to give up something in order to bring in something, which in this instance was ruck cover for the injured Sam Naismith.

“A factor that had a fair bit to do with that was how good young Tommy McCartin looked when he went back,” Beatson said.

“In the back half of the year he looked like a natural defender and to get Lance (Franklin) back next year, we’ll be able to have those two settle back into their positions.

“Sometimes to get something in, and we desperately needed another ruck option given the injury to Sammy Naismith, you’ve got to give something up to get something.

“That deal with Port was a deal that was going to enable us to get Tom Hickey in, which was a priority for us."

Beatson also explained how issues with the salary cap and Total Player Payments (TPP) can often be a driving force in clubs decisions to trade players.

“It’s sometimes difficult for our members and supporters to understand that,” Beatson said.

Port Adelaide handed Sydney a 2021 second-round pick for Aliir which the Swans then sent to West Coast as part of the deal that brought ruckman Hickey to the club.

Not too long now. Someone may as well pre-write the welcome Lachie Jones thread so that the second he is picked up the thread is up :D

TWO weeks of Playstation, Netflix and working out in a home gym was not quite how new Port Adelaide recruit Aliir Aliir pictured his first fortnight in his new home city.

The former Sydney Swan spent Christmas in Perth with family but returned to the harbour city to see the surgeon who operated on his jaw last year and then found himself forced into 14 days of quarantine when he eventually got to Adelaide.

On the eve of his first training session with his new club, Aliir told portadelaidefc.com.au he is feeling physically fit and is eager to get stuck in.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

PORT ADELAIDE recruit Aliir Aliir says he is embracing the challenge of breaking into the competition’s meanest backline, saying the competition will only make the team stronger.

Aliir joined the club during the trade period in a deal which saw a future second-round draft selection head to his former club Sydney.

The 26-year-old has played 64 AFL games since being drafted from East Perth in 2013, becoming renowned for his agility, intercept marking and drive out of defence.

He arrives as the tallest option in Port’s backline and as an option to rotate through the ruck and even up forward.

But during a press conference on Wednesday after his first week with the club, Aliir said he hoped to break into the defence.

The wires are off his mouth I see. Here are a couple of before & after grabs showing the changes to Aliir's jaw, mouth, and overall change in appearance. Remarkable! With his big mouth, correcting the underbite and bringing his jaw back has improved his looks 100% ... My young mate went from ugly to stunningly good looking after his jaw was fixed. Will be great for Aliir's confidence. By extension, hopefully his game jumps up a level too! :p

AALir2.PNG AALir1.PNG

It's been said that Port's interest in Aliir was pricked by his switch into the ruck in our game against Sydney last year...

He is the new Hoff.

But instead of being primarily a forward who can also do minor roles in the ruck and backline,

AA will be primarily a defender who can do minor roles in the ruck and up forward.

It's been said that Port's interest in Aliir was pricked by his switch into the ruck in our game against Sydney last year...

Due to his domination in the ruck during the 2nd half of last year’s game, AA showed me of his versatility as a footballer. He took Scotty Lycett to the cleaners in the ruck and actually Sydney outscored us in the 2nd half.
Besides the obvious choice of Dusty, he was the most impressive opposition player to front up to us at AO. (in my humble opinion)
I SAID TO MYSELF, “GET HIM”!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back