List Mgmt. 2021 List Management: Academy, Contracts, Trading & Draft

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
Some more trade and draft resources. Courtesy of Lore.

Key Off-Season Dates
This is a comprehensive list including dates for draft combines, list lodgements, delisted free agency windows and return to train dates. I had to collate these from three different club websites because the AFL is lazy af and doesn't have it on their website, so thought it might be helpful to share:

AFL TRADE, DRAFT AND FREE AGENCY DATES 2021

AFL TRADE, DRAFT AND FREE AGENCY DATES 2021

Grand Final

Saturday September 25

Draft Combine – Vic Country
Friday October 1

Restricted and Unrestricted Free Agency Window
Friday October 1 – Friday October 8

Delisted Free Agency Window 1
Wednesday October 3 - Friday October 15

Trade Period (picks and players)
Monday October 4 (9am) – Wednesday October 13 (7.30pm)

Draft Combines (States and Regions)
VM: Saturday October 9 (tbc)
Qld: Sunday October 10
Tas: Monday October 11
SA: Saturday October 16
WA: Sunday October 17
NSW & ACT: tbc
NT: will join SA or Qld

Trade Period (picks only)
Monday October 18 – Monday November 15

List Lodgement 1
Friday October 29

Delisted Free Agency Window 2
Wednesday November 3 – Tuesday November 9

List Lodgement 2 (Final date for primary list delistings)
Wednesday November 10

Delisted Free Agency Window 3
Thursday November 11 – Monday November 15

AFL Pre-Season Commences (First to fourth year players)
Monday November 22

National Draft
Round 1: Wednesday November 24 (7pm)
Round 2–end: Thursday November 25 (7pm)

Preseason and Rookie Drafts
Friday November 26 (3.20pm)

Final List Lodgement
Monday November 29

Pre-Season Commences (All other players)
Monday December 6

Pre-Season Supplemental Selection Period (SSP)
December - March (tbc)

Pre-Season Christmas Break
Sunday December 19 - Sunday January 9

Draft Order & Future Pick Tracker

FAQs & Resources Thread

It has an index at the top with threadmarks so it's easy to find what you're looking for – or easier than scrolling through 250 pages of AFL Rules, Regulations and CBA pdfs anyway.

These sorts of questions are all answered along with a bunch of other resources made by posters from across BigFooty (feel free to add to it!):

GWS List Summary

Senior List

33: 36 less delisted Shipley & Hutchesson, delisted Wehr (to be reselected in rookie draft), traded Finlayson, plus DFA signing of Brander. 3 to 5 spots available at ND.

1 Phil Davis - 2022
2 Jacob Hopper - 2023
3 Stephen Coniglio - 2026
4 Toby Greene - 2026
5 Tanner Bruhn - 2022
6 Lachie Whitfield - 2027
7 Lachlan Ash - 2023
8 Callan Ward - 2022
9 Ryan Angwin - 2022
10 Jacob Wehr - 2022 [delisted with an agreement to select in the rookie draft]
11 Brayden Preuss - 2023
12 Tom Green - 2023
13 Isaac Cumming - 2022
14 Tim Taranto - 2022
15 Sam Taylor - 2025
16 Brent Daniels - 2025
18 Conor Stone - 2024
19 Nick Haynes - 2024
22 Josh Kelly - 2029
23 Jesse Hogan - 2022
24 Matthew De Boer - 2022
25 Lachlan Keeffe - 2022
26 Jake Riccardi - 2023
27 Harry Himmelberg - 2023
29 Cam Fleeton - 2022
30 Matt Flynn - 2023
32 Kieran Briggs - 2022
33 Xavier O'Halloran - 2022
36 Harry Perryman - 2022
37 Ian Hill - 2022
39 Connor Idun - 2022
40 Adam Kennedy - 2022
44 Jack Buckley - 2022

+ Jarrod Brander - 2022 (selected in first DFA window)

Rookie List - A

4: 7 less delisted Reid & Buntine, retired Shane Mumford. 0 to 2 spots available for rookie draft.

28 Zach Sproule - 2022
38 Daniel Lloyd - 2022
42 Jake Stein - 2022
45 James Peatling - 2022

Rookie List - B

2: full

35 Will Shaw - 2022
46 Callum M Brown - 2022 (Irish international rookie, extended 1 year under COVID rules)

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Manchester City, Collingwood AFLW
Been watching as much 2021 AFL Draft eligible boys as I can over the last couple of weeks. I'm praying Collingwood finish bottom 4 so we can get a kid like Tyler Sonsie atm, has good athletic traits and plays a variety of roles through the midfield and in the forwardline, would be one that could be that missing piece we need around stoppages as he matures

Giant Pete

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 17, 2013
AFL Club
GWS
Been watching as much 2021 AFL Draft eligible boys as I can over the last couple of weeks. I'm praying Collingwood finish bottom 4 so we can get a kid like Tyler Sonsie atm, has good athletic traits and plays a variety of roles through the midfield and in the forwardline, would be one that could be that missing piece we need around stoppages as he matures
Where are you viewing this?

Nov 7, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Where are you viewing this?
All NAB League games from 2019 are on youtube, so it's just a matter of finding out which kids played when. If you use AFL Draft Central they have player pages that'll list every game a kid has played at NAB League level

Apr 30, 2011
Wollongong
AFL Club
GWS
Our current free agents with Kelly and Davis being the only ones of note:

Matt Buntine
Phil Davis
Matt de Boer
Lachlan Keeffe
Josh Kelly
Daniel Lloyd
Sam Reid
Zach Sproule
Jack Stein

Also:

Former Greater Western Sydney co-captain Callan Ward has been removed from the list after penning an extension with the Giants for 2022.

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
Our current free agents with Kelly and Davis being the only ones of note:

Matt Buntine
Phil Davis
Matt de Boer
Lachlan Keeffe
Josh Kelly
Daniel Lloyd
Sam Reid
Zach Sproule
Jack Stein

Also:

Ward re-signed? Where the announcement?

Yeah Kelly and Davis are the ones of note.

At least with regard to Kelly if we haven’t heard anything by June he is probably gone considering they put a time frame on it according to a podcast last year.

Giant Pete

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 17, 2013
AFL Club
GWS
Ward re-signed? Where the announcement?

Yeah Kelly and Davis are the ones of note.

At least with regard to Kelly if we haven’t heard anything by June he is probably gone considering they put a time frame on it according to a podcast last year.
He’d be restricted wouldn’t he?

Nov 7, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
OK, I meant to open this before Christmas, after the 2020 National Draft. But better late than never! 2020 is put to bed, and on with this year's speculation.
I heard from a friend of a friend whose brother works for Sydney that we're a certainty to get Oliver Florent and Callum Mills for a 2nd round draft pick

Danny88

Premiership Player
Mar 21, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
I think the kelly decision will be performance based. If we pull it together and look to have recovered from the 2020 disaster I think he stays. But if we start losing again, he will probably chase premierships and money

I think the kelly decision will be performance based. If we pull it together and look to have recovered from the 2020 disaster I think he stays. But if we start losing again, he will probably chase premierships and money
I reckon he just stays.
Why go to the effort of putting together the 10 year plan if you don't plan on going through with it.

Danny88

Premiership Player
Mar 21, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
I reckon he just stays.
Why go to the effort of putting together the 10 year plan if you don't plan on going through with it.
It wasn’t a 10 year plan. It was a two year plan with a player option

it’s very USA and it’s also very skewed to the player

Oct 12, 2016
AFL Club
GWS

Which clubs could fit him in salary wise that are top 8? I don't see many options to get better than what's already in front of him.

It wasn’t a 10 year plan. It was a two year plan with a player option

it’s very USA and it’s also very skewed to the player

I know that the first 2 years was the only standard part, but if you intent isnt to stay, why would you bother negotiating terms for the next 8.

It is a clear intent that he wants to stay.

Unless there is a dramatic change in circumstances, I reckon he stays.

Nov 7, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Which clubs could fit him in salary wise that are top 8? I don't see many options to get better than what's already in front of him.
Most top 8 teams can offer a level of opportunity outside Footy that we simply can't match, a club like Collingwood can sort him out with media appearances, sponsors, charity appearances, etc. that we can't, at least not to the same extent

Most top 8 teams can offer a level of opportunity outside Footy that we simply can't match, a club like Collingwood can sort him out with media appearances, sponsors, charity appearances, etc. that we can't, at least not to the same extent
I actually don't think that is true.
There is actually a lot of corporate opportunity in Sydney, the big name players pick up lots of stuff.

It is true, came from Matthews directly, that they can get more money outside of the footy contract in Melbourne. Especially during finals.

It may be, but being in secondary market doesn't usually hurt earning potential. My experience in this area is the other way, leaguies and Rugby players being based mostly in Melbourne or Perth.

Although there is more call for the primary market (AFL in Mel, or NRL in Syd), there is alot of people looking for some exposure to the secondary sport, especially with National organisations. There is obviously a lot more gigs in Melbourne, but a lot more competition. In Sydney and Brisbane, less gigs, less competition. The big names at Swans have been killing it for years.

If you use a player from a second market, you don't alienate the fans of other clubs.

We haven't got any big name retired players yet, but they will have good career post footy. There are plenty of ambassador gigs around for AFL players in Sydney.

Sorry, a bit rambling, but my point is that, being in a secondary market shouldn't be a disadvantage to earning capacity of our players.

Nov 7, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Giant Strides I think it was you who I had this discussion with last year

We still have right of refusal for Fahey come draft time, so I'm assuming the move to Queensland was temporary like a boarding school situation. I'm now obsessed with the thought of Fahey and Ash running off the back flank together

We still have right of refusal for Fahey come draft time, so I'm assuming the move to Queensland was temporary like a boarding school situation. I'm now obsessed with the thought of Fahey and Ash running off the back flank together
That is a win.
Is he a top 10 selection?

Nov 7, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
That is a win.
Is he a top 10 selection?
Would be in that 10-20 range consensually as it stands, I have him at 11 currently (granted I haven't done a proper rankings yet) more likely to slip down than rise with the (hopeful) return of Vic footy this year which isn't a mark against him, more a sign of the quality of the top end this year

Would be in that 10-20 range consensually as it stands, I have him at 11 currently (granted I haven't done a proper rankings yet) more likely to slip down than rise with the (hopeful) return of Vic footy this year which isn't a mark against him, more a sign of the quality of the top end this year
We might have to trade up our pick 18, so we can get Collingwoods pick 1 and a second pick before our man goes in the teens :)

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS

Wow, that is interesting! Yes, we'd discussed it on the back of the release of the AFL academy list. That's great news - provided it doesn't get changed between now & draft time. I'll join you in salivating over a Fahey-Ash HBF combo.

Back