Miscellaneous Sports 2021 off-season

Team

After a good suggestion, we’ve decided to move all non-AFL threads to the old and dusty “Purple Horde” sub thread. The hope is it has the following effects
A) Keeps them easily available but still out of sight
B) Encourages the use of the sub-forums like they are meant to be used for and brings a bit more organisation to the forum
C) While I love how passionate everyone is on the topics and that there is terrific debate on the topics, moderating the politics thread can get... tiresome. I’ll be letting things go a bit more, however personal attacks will not be tolerated and I encourage you to report them in any shape or form.

As usual, reach out to BeinPurplenGreen, myself and Tonga Bob to discuss anything as needed. Thanks for making the forum what it is.

Last edited:

bushchook

All Australian
Dec 9, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
Yep, to think that Stuart Law pretty much never played for Australia and Wade has played - whatever number - of Tests.

Only Cummins would have played in Waugh's and Ponting's (early) teams.

Yep, basically swap Cummins in for Lee or Gillespie in the 2003 Ashes side and that's the only change you'd make (assuming nobody knew how good a batsman Smith would become).

Darren Lehmann was the worst batsman in that side with a test average of 44.95

Edit: The 2007 team was even better with Clarke and Hussey in the side

Last edited:

Scham

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 19, 2004
AFL Club
Fremantle
I get what you are saying. He's still learning about T20 cricket. He's a really good talent.
I know it's a different format but he got 8 wickets and a man of the match in his very first shield game and then scored an unbeaten 100 in his 3rd shield appearance.
And as has already been mentioned without him we have a long tail.
I am more concerned about having Bancroft batting in the middle order.

Fair enough re the tail.

He’s certainly talented and started the tournament very well but is fading badly. May need a spell and I don’t think it hurts us.

Marsh should be back for the next game which will ease your concerns over Bancroft.

Apr 26, 2011
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Wimbledon AFC
I grew up in Ireland so I’m only a recent convert to cricket. I find it a fascinating game actually the more I watch it. Got a couple of questions for the experts:
1. Why don’t players like Chris Lynn, Glenn Maxwell etc ever get a go in the test side? Is it that it’s considered they will give up their wicket too cheaply? They just seem like better batsmen than someone like Matthew Wade or even Marcus Harris to me anyway?
2. What’s the main reason for the slower run rate in a test match? Is it the ball, different fielding positions, or just a more conservative approach from batsmen?

2020 is the 100m sprint.
Test cricket is a marathon

Dockeroo

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 1, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
Looking at Adam Zampa bowling spin in the T20 games, he appears to be a quite economical bowler. Would he ever come into consideration instead of Nathan Lyon at all?

Looking at Adam Zampa bowling spin in the T20 games, he appears to be a quite economical bowler. Would he ever come into consideration instead of Nathan Lyon at all?

Hes more of a 20/20 bowler, he usually goes the journey in 1st class cricket eg Sheffield shield.

Purple_Turtle

Stockholm Syndrome
Oct 12, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
South Fremantle, Hull City
I see Glory are continuing their ACL gameplan of "just stop playing in the last ten minutes."

holybishop

Premiership Player
Oct 9, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
GC Suns, Western Warriors/Scorchers
His last First Class game was in 2019. He's hitched his wagon solely to the short format

bushchook

All Australian
Dec 9, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle

Mitch Swepson is the next spinner in line for test team if Lyon is injured or dies of old age

Bring back Drum

Mundy4Hundy
Jul 8, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
Lyon was so frustrating for me this series. He bowled so straight & defensively & very rarely tempted the Indians outside off stump with a bit of loop.

His bowling has become extremely predictable with his overspin style & relied a lot on what was happening off the pitch rather than variation out of the hand. The Indian spinners, everyone of them, out bowled him mainly because of change of pace & side spin variation.

The Indian spinners read the pitches far better & adjusted accordingly.

Last edited:

Monument Hills

Cancelled
Dec 12, 2017
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Hufflepuff, Wildcats, WCE womens
Not sure where this should go but:

Tas Premier refusing to sign new agreements for AFL games in Tas from next year until AFL gives them an idea whether they will get a team soon.

Not sure if North wants to sit on the bottom and look too crap this year. Might be the solution AFL gets blackmailed into as I can't imagine they want 19 teams (or 20 that they have to prop up for a few years) in such precarious financial times for the competition.

Purple_Turtle

Stockholm Syndrome
Oct 12, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
South Fremantle, Hull City
Not sure if North wants to sit on the bottom and look too crap this year. Might be the solution AFL gets blackmailed into as I can't imagine they want 19 teams (or 20 that they have to prop up for a few years) in such precarious financial times for the competition.

Personally if I was North and I was made to move to Tas I'd be livid. They've actually got their finances and club administration in order. Saints should go first.

ImperialPurple

Matthew Pavlich Medallist
May 26, 2003
South Freo
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
SFFC, Aussie Women's Cricket, HNK
Jhye Richardson is a breath of fresh air in a quite lack lustre Big Bash. There is always something happening when he is bowling and he is also proving to be very handy with the bat.
I think there should be more ‘Jhye Love’ around here. Man he’s good 😍

Mar 26, 2012
Block 123
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Dallas Cowboys, FC St. Pauli
After a crap start the season has turned out to be pretty exiting for us, I hope we can push on and get some home finals.

I read that they were looking at expanding the completion a while back with a few of the possibilities being Geelong, GC and Fremantle.

Would anyone here jump onto the Freo team if they joined? (I would stick with the Scorchers)

Apr 26, 2011
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Wimbledon AFC
After a crap start the season has turned out to be pretty exiting for us, I hope we can push on and get some home finals.

I read that they were looking at expanding the completion a while back with a few of the possibilities being Geelong, GC and Fremantle.

Would anyone here jump onto the Freo team if they joined? (I would stick with the Scorchers)
Would be good for the states economy but would be hard to cross over to another team.
Already did that with footy & it has not rewarded me yet 😁

mid be more interested in them bringing a couple of uk teams over here, and basing themselves out of a state.

yyou

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 18, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
NY Mets, NO Pelicans, Toronto Leafs
Yuk
More poms as if there aren't enough in Australia & particularly on TV
Seriously wtf is a pommy chick commentating on Aussie TV the cricket between Australia & India for?
As for the scorchers, I try to not like them as I'm WA forever, but moved to Melbourne in 2013, so I a West Aussie Melbournite, so I would 100% go for a Freo cricket team

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Back