AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Hi all,
doing my learners test (vic) in 1 week
I believe the test has 32 questions and the pass mark is 25 out of 32
How hard is this test??
I've done the practise tests many times
Thanks

I did the test about 15 years ago, it was 28 out of 32 correct back then.

I prepared pretty well for it and only had trouble with 2 or 3 questions.

learnerstest

Draftee
Jan 23, 2021
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I did the test about 15 years ago, it was 28 out of 32 correct back then.

I prepared pretty well for it and only had trouble with 2 or 3 questions.
is it essential to read the handbook?
even if i've done several practise tests

learnerstest

Draftee
Jan 23, 2021
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I did mine in 2009 and the questions were exactly the same as the practice ones that are online.

You should read the handbook regardless, as you won’t be a good driver if you don’t know the road rules.
alright thanks
so you mean the questions on your real test were all from the various practise test questions right?

Teagueeee15

Premiership Player
Sep 15, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
alright thanks
so you mean the questions on your real test were all from the various practise test questions right?

Yes, there was a pool of about 100 questions on the practice tests and all the questions on the actual test came from the pool of practice questions.

You should still read the handbook before you go for your first drive though.

Herne Hill Hammer

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 22, 2008
AFL Club
Geelong
Hi all,
doing my learners test (vic) in 1 week
I believe the test has 32 questions and the pass mark is 25 out of 32
How hard is this test??
I've done the practise tests many times
Thanks

My daughter just did hers today. She barely read the book, I just asked her and she said she really only read the section with the signs, she did heaps of the online practice tests. I did a few of the mock tests with her the other day, all I would say is read the questions properly. You'll get 3 options for an answer, if you think the first one is correct, still read the other two alternates, just in case. She got 88%, so 4 wrong.

If you are taking a birth certificate as one of your primary id's, make sure it's the original and not a copy. My daughter was originally booked in for last Friday. I drove from Phillip Island to Cranbourne, 180km round trip and they wouldn't accept a copy (even if it is the full one), it had to be the original. They wouldn't let her do it, so we had to rebook for today which was another $18 to reschedule and another 180km trip.

She said the questions were the same as in the practise tests.

learnerstest

Draftee
Jan 23, 2021
AFL Club
Hawthorn
My daughter just did hers today. She barely read the book, I just asked her and she said she really only read the section with the signs, she did heaps of the online practice tests. I did a few of the mock tests with her the other day, all I would say is read the questions properly. You'll get 3 options for an answer, if you think the first one is correct, still read the other two alternates, just in case. She got 88%, so 4 wrong.

If you are taking a birth certificate as one of your primary id's, make sure it's the original and not a copy. My daughter was originally booked in for last Friday. I drove from Phillip Island to Cranbourne, 180km round trip and they wouldn't accept a copy (even if it is the full one), it had to be the original. They wouldn't let her do it, so we had to rebook for today which was another $18 to reschedule and another 180km trip.

She said the questions were the same as in the practise tests.
i'm doing mine in burwood
if you don't mind me asking, did your daughter also do hers in burwood centre?
Do you know if different centres have different difficulty tests?

revo333

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 7, 2018
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
i'm doing mine in burwood
if you don't mind me asking, did your daughter also do hers in burwood centre?
Do you know if different centres have different difficulty tests?

You are over thinking it, go in prepared and try the best you can 👍

Read the handbook and then do some more practice tests. Remember, you must abide by all road laws, not just the ones you are tested on at any given time in your licence procedure.

Make sure you at least annually review road laws for any update (preferably more frequently) as ignorance will be no defence should you break the law.

Once you have your licence I also recommend you do a defensive driving course.

Apr 28, 2008
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal Kilmarnock
I failed my Ls and Ps tests on my first attempt (NSW). Was pretty normal, a majority of kids didn't get through their Ls and Ps tests unscatched, but we all read the handbook and did the practice tests religiously, it was a ubiquitous thing in computer labs at school in Year 10/11. It's usually a very minor miss, which sucks a bit at the time, but in hindsight I think the pass mark is well set, encourages you to reflect on the mistakes and the responsibilities of being a road user, and doing the tests multiple times can reinforce things or get you to read/practice more widely. Random questions from a larger pool, all of which you'll probably come across eventually in practice tests.

I'm in my 30s and have never had a demerit nor caused a crash (been hit 3 times though, once written off), just a few inner-city parking fines in my early 20s. I don't think of myself as a skilled driver at all, luck plays into it a lot, I just drive within my comfort limits and typically don't rush about.

Even so, there are things you can forget over the years, or not keep abreast of, especially if you move around the country a lot into different jurisdictions. Same goes for cycling, and other licensed things like boating and firearms. For instance, a few years ago I wasn't really aware there were strictly signed rear-to-kerb parking lots, and it took a warning to make me aware and get the message for future reference. I wasn't really aware of the concept as a rule before then, and as someone who normally avoids reverse parking it was important for someone like me to know, especially as that was my nearest supermarket. 2020 was obviously a keen year for the need to be keyed-in to the details of what societal changes are being made and when.

Last edited:

learnerstest

Draftee
Jan 23, 2021
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Just did the test today, got 27/32
I turn 21 in october this year, does this mean I still need to record the compulsory 120 hours?
Thanks

different state but I needed 28/30 over 5 years ago. Was easy if you know your road rules. Nothing was tricky.

I still remember the one question I got wrong on mine many years ago - it was something about changing lanes and I chose 'don't change lanes again for 100m' which seemed reasonable. Can't remember what the correct answer was

Back