2021 Lions Off-season

Ralphy2017

Cancelled
Jul 16, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Going off Rayner’s interview yesterday they are expecting a few changes throughout the year.
A bit of a rotational policy maybe?
I think that we have a deep enough squad now to be able to do it successfully with resting the older players when required. And bringing in some young and hungry faces to replace them.
Been saying this for sometime, can afford to reward good training and commitment and should be done with an eye on the future. Very likely none of the 'older', senior players will want to, but should happen. Interesting to see who is played in the preseason games, or will it be like last year where senior players were played eg Adams to get them as match fit as possible for the first round.
Reward Fullarton, Dev, Ely etc for what appears to be an effort in the off season to get in as good as shape as possible. Rest one of the mid fielders (we got smashed in the Prelim in the mid field), rest Birchall, Mitch, McStay, rest possibly Zorks, and Lyons. Not saying they are not considered for round 1 but rest them for the two preseason games.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
I wouldn’t be surprised if Zorko is managed a fair bit this season.

We really need to get a couple of our younger Mids up to speed.

There’s some depth there with Cockatoo, Ely Smith, Tom Berry, Tom Joyce and Dev Robertson.

Apart from Cockatoo, and maybe Berry jr, they’re best suited to playing inside, and I believe that’s Berry jr best position as well.

Hard to imagine Fagan will consider resting Neale much, if at all.

I wouldn’t be surprised if Zorko is managed a fair bit this season.

We really need to get a couple of our younger Mids up to speed.

There’s some depth there with Cockatoo, Ely Smith, Tom Berry, Tom Joyce and Dev Robertson.

Apart from Cockatoo, and maybe Berry jr, they’re best suited to playing inside, and I believe that’s Berry jr best position as well.

Hard to imagine Fagan will consider resting Neale much, if at all.
If Neale is anywhere near Brownlow contention there will be no thought of resting him, I wouldn’t think.
He is in his prime, Zorko appears to have gone past his.
We need to get Zorko back to his defensive pressure best.

jackess

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 10, 2005
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I’m guessing we’re managing Zorkos Achilles tendinitis in the same way as last season. Consistent running without overdoing it.

Scubaveg

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 6, 2009
Carina
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
A good interview. Interesting about his role v Fagan's role in the team
He just confirmed what briztoon & Dlions have been saying about Daniher. That he is in full training and going very well
Also expecting Cam Rayner to breakout this season. Hope he is right

I don’t think he said he’s expecting Rayner to breakout. Rather that the one he’d like to see break out is Rayner.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

davemc_lions

Premiership Player
Aug 21, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Not big on resting core players unless they need a rest as carrying an injury.
Players who bottom third in team I say the ones more likely to get swapped around.
Although where coaches value people vs BF people be interesting.
I say from PF the below be under the pump
McStay, Robbo, Birchall, CEY, Lester, AhChee & Payne
Which interesting as I think the midfield lost us the game and I included no mids.

Should add Tigers and Cats turn over players a lot more then we do.
We normally only change the team because of injury

Last edited:
Players who bottom third in team I say the ones more likely to get swapped around.
Which interesting as I think the midfield lost us the game and I included no mids.

I would consider Robbo a midfielder as a full time winger just not inside.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Great to see Ely Dev and Tom "training the house down" like others would love to see them given a run of games this year,perhaps managing the older players now and then. Ely sounds like the perfect replacement for Robbo but more talented
If Ely was more talented, he would have been in the team last year.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams

I don’t see Ah Chee being under any pressure.

Not necessarily Ely probably had to get his fitness up to scratch.

This. briztoon I think you'll find his biggest weaknesses were his lack off fitness to cover AFL level KMs and his versatility wasn't there. Judging by the reports he sounds like he's worked particularly hard on those two areas. Will be an interesting one to watch.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Experience counts for something.
No doubt, but Tom Berry got a run ahead of Ely last year when Mitch was out.

Not necessarily Ely probably had to get his fitness up to scratch.
Ely had decent fitness levels last offseason, he’s not coming from a ways back fitness wise.
And when he was drafted they said he would take a bit longer as he is a country boy who didn't come through the elite pathway.
GWS academy is fairly elite.
When he was drafted, Conole mentioned he hadn’t been involved at the elite level of GWS’s academy.

Last edited:

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
This. briztoon I think you'll find his biggest weaknesses were his lack off fitness to cover AFL level KMs and his versatility wasn't there. Judging by the reports he sounds like he's worked particularly hard on those two areas. Will be an interesting one to watch.
I watched last year’s preseason before Covid. His running was decent, even with his bigger frame then.

My understanding is that Ely was too one dimensional.
It was inside or bust, just like CEY, we don’t need another CEY.
Last year they worked on developing a more rounded game in Ely by playing him out on a wing.
Fitness may not have been at the level required to play a wing role permanently but with a big off season he may now be ready.
I wish him all the best because we do need someone to step up as Robbo didn’t have the best of years last year and is entering his twilight.

I would love Ely to succeed, but from everything I have seen myself and heard from others I would have him at fairly long odds.

He is in a system that has developed others around him quite quickly and comprehensively, to the point where the vast majority are now significantly better footballers than they were when they arrived at the club. I’m not sure the same could be said of him.

He wouldn’t be the first high level AFL player to be a late bloomer if he is able to put it all together, but I don’t think the signs have positive been in any meaningful way since his arrival at the club.

Ralphy2017

Cancelled
Jul 16, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I don't see Ah Chee and Payne being under the pump. Payne only got 5 games due to injuries, and his performance in the Prelim demonstrated he is up to playing on mid size forwards and as he gets a little more experience will be able to play 1 v 1 against the big elite players. Still not sure where Fages sees him, but all things being equal should be preferred over Adams and possibly Lester. Ah Chee showed his versatility, but I liked him down the back, suppose it will depend on where Cockatoo fits in, as we seem to have a few in that back flank and or pocket area.

Ralphy2017

Cancelled
Jul 16, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I would love Ely to succeed, but from everything I have seen myself and heard from others I would have him at fairly long odds.

He is in a system that has developed others around him quite quickly and comprehensively, to the point where the vast majority are now significantly better footballers than they were when they arrived at the club. I’m not sure the same could be said of him.

He wouldn’t be the first high level AFL player to be a late bloomer if he is able to put it all together, but I don’t think the signs have positive been in any meaningful way since his arrival at the club.
Hopefully coming back fit and finishing 4th in the 3km indicates that he is probably fitter, which helps when making decisions and executing when suffering fatigue. Lets hope Ely has a big year, and the new ressie comp will be great for the younger guys to develop further as last year was a little hit and miss with no real ressie comp, and 2019 NEAFL was not a true fierce competition for the young guys to develop.

May 20, 2015
Maleny, Queensland
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I don’t believe Ah Chee is under pressure from any of the reserves.
Agreed Briz, I think he is one, if not the most, flexible player we have once the game starts. He can be swung back to forward or onto a wing during a game to cover injuries or form and does a good/servicable job.

Nov 8, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

This surprises me. Do you say this based on your own view of Ah Chee or that Fagan stuck by him through thick and thin last year?

Imo he was so underwhelming - had a good half against the blues and a good quarter forward when Rayner (?) did a hammy.

I'd prefer Answerth and Starc as the 2 small defenders, Gardiner 3rd, Rich and Birchall, plus Harris and Lester as the back 7. Lester's game against Riewoldt was fantastic and he was good in the prelim too. No reason he can't be our Liam Jones.

Back