Past #7: Jack Ziebell [Part II] - retires post-RFC game/280gm&183gl/6yr captain - Shinboner - assaulted post-RFC game& in hospital - get well soon JZ

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Well, Jack would be better overhead than most players his size and stronger too. Picking when to mark and when to punch would be an experience and confidence thing down back but I would expect some intercept marking from him.

Stoppages down back he would be Ok.

Pace and agility wise, a worry and will look bad chasing tail. And like Scott McMahon may get burned when he goes third man up and his opponent does not.

Good open field kick to move, switch play and bite off the corridor. Could take the odd kick out.

Based on last year, McKay and also Kyron telegraph and their disposal is not pinpoint.

B-Macs long kicking is good. It's the "deft" stuff that needs work.

If Ziebs can get to the contests he is strong enough to win or negate the forwards . I would be concerned about guys running off him and him keeping his feet, I reckon he goes hard at the ball but goes to ground a bit as a result which could be costly in the back line. On the other hand his game sense and leadership could be a massive win for us.

shimaburnsgrieg

Premiership Player
Apr 1, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
FB - Tarrant - McKay - Atley
HB - Ziebell - Corr - Mcdonald

It’s a pretty experienced back 6. My two biggest concerns with him playing back are:

1. His 1 on 1 ability (a relative unknown)
2. His ball use & creativity (can kick well, can also butcher)

Looking at that back 6, I’m less concerned about point 1 - 5/6 of those players are above average-elite 1 on 1, so Jack can get the worst forward.

His ball use is going to be the big one for me. We just cannot afford to butcher the ball in the back half anymore.

Going to be fascinating to see how this plays out, I expect that it will be trialled through preseason with the intention of him being able to play both Defence & Forward. If he can add another string, it will really help IMO.
It's interesting to see who he would match up on in the 6/6/6 as you run through other teams 'best 22' - he won't get the 'worst' forward as such but he will get the tweeners.

We have the gorilla forwards covered via BMac and Taz and the smalls covered via LMAc and Hayden/Atley. Corr can play big and small so it leaves JZ. As we know some teams like Richmond play alot of smalls forward - others like Melbourne look like going with land of the giants.

Anyway the beauty of January speculation each year hey - it's all good grist for the mill until matches are actually played against real opposition and then we'll see how things are looking.

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
If Ziebs can get to the contests he is strong enough to win or negate the forwards . I would be concerned about guys running off him and him keeping his feet, I reckon he goes hard at the ball but goes to ground a bit as a result which could be costly in the back line. On the other hand his game sense and leadership could be a massive win for us.

Where does this idea that he falls over a lot come from?

I think you're confusing his centre clearance work & lack of breakaway speed. This is not really applicable to the backline.

Psicosis

Brownlow Medallist
May 7, 2012
Bird Rock
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Don't mind the kicking ability but there's no real pace.
Didn't bring in guys like menadue and young not to play them, similar with perez and hayden.
Bunch of mid-late 30 yr olds who can't really break a pack and might break something when trying to cover the young early 20yr old forwards of the league.

Re pace in the back half, it’s interesting to look at the 2020 GF back lines...

Geelongs back 6 was: Taylor, Blicavs, Henderson, Kolo, Henry, Blicavs + Tuohy
Richmond’s back 6 was: Broad, Grimes, Balta, Baker, Vlastuin, Houli + Short

North’s potential 2021 back 6: Tarrant, McKay, Corr, McDonald, Ziebell, Atley + Perez/Young/Hayden

Corr & Atley both have elite pace, Perez/Young/Hayden also pretty quick. Geelong & Richmond’s back half aren’t exactly oozing with pace either. I’m definitely pro having players that are quick in the backline, but they don’t all need to have it IMO.

Ziebell back there is a bit of an experiment, it may pay off, it might not, but personally I’m happy they’re trying different things to increase our players positional flexibility.

Jun 4, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Worth a try. But no shame to be essentially done at 30 the way hes played.
If he stays uninjured I don't think he's that close to done just yet. He genuinely looks in pretty bloody good fitness right now. Last year when his lower body was imploding I was sure it was the end for him, so I'm glad he's had an uninterrupted offseason.

Your general point is correct though. He's put his body through a lot over his career, and that typically comes at the cost of longevity.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Re pace in the back half, it’s interesting to look at the 2020 GF back lines...

Geelongs back 6 was: Taylor, Blicavs, Henderson, Kolo, Henry, Blicavs + Tuohy
Richmond’s back 6 was: Broad, Grimes, Balta, Baker, Vlastuin, Houli + Short

North’s potential 2021 back 6: Tarrant, McKay, Corr, McDonald, Ziebell, Atley + Perez/Young/Hayden

Corr & Atley both have elite pace, Perez/Young/Hayden also pretty quick. Geelong & Richmond’s back half aren’t exactly oozing with pace either. I’m definitely pro having players that are quick in the backline, but they don’t all need to have it IMO.

Ziebell back there is a bit of an experiment, it may pay off, it might not, but personally I’m happy they’re trying different things to increase our players positional flexibility.

The idea of the 7th defender is that they have elite zoning ability. Jack's is elite.

They should also be able to compete in the air and rebound via penetrating kicking. Jack also has these traits.

I am not even aware of a past zoning/extra defender who had elite pace.

Jack is also well suited for the "tweeners".

Rad Roo

Premiership Player
Aug 2, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Wait, if ziebell goes to half-back, does that mean Atley might finally get unleashed in the midfield?

What do you know, this could be a masterstroke. Ziebell half back, i am not too sure but he could play a firrito type role as an undersized key defender...

Josh Walker looks very likely to be a key forward then. If tarrant goes down with a career ending injury, walker straight back to CHB, problem solved.

Sep 11, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I reckon we have figured out that Zeebs can’t kick for goal haha

Field kicking (while not under pressure) is great. Could be a master stroke

But yeah, kind of spells the end of Zeebs IMO, unless he does well. He’s been pushed out of the midfield and forward, I don’t see who else he pushes out? Would rather Kyron, Perez, Bmac, Corr, Lmac, Taz etc

Jun 4, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne

But yeah, kind of spells the end of Zeebs IMO, unless he does well. He’s been pushed out of the midfield and forward, I don’t see who else he pushes out? Would rather Kyron, Perez, Bmac, Corr, Lmac, Taz etc

I agree he's been pushed out of the midfield, at least the primary rotations, but I don't buy that he's been pushed out as a forward. Only Larkey and Zurharr would compare to him on '18 and '19 forward form.

speedy

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 5, 2001
Melbourne, VIC
AFL Club
North Melbourne
My hunch is he'll play the spare in a 7 man defence.
Is that even a thing anymore? Teams are more fluid (and more complicated) than that these days. You can‘t even start with 7 defenders at centre bounces. There is no chance he starts on a wing or hf and then drifts back, so at the very least he will be a starting part of the back 6.

Can't wait for that hospital pass and witness JZ smack the ball 15m to the space of our loose wingers.

Uplifting footy reminiscent of the 90s.
You mean instead of taking the ball he just belts it forward?

I like that sort of thing. Especially with the likes of Bailey Scott or Tarryn or even Mahoney who reads the game very well.

i don't think he'll be pushed out of the forward line. We have a plethora of potential mid sized forwards who we want to see in action but none of the (except possibly Garns) has the physicality or presence of JZ. if we need that presence I imagine he will be moved forward.

Feb 11, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
FB - Tarrant - McKay - Atley

It’s a pretty experienced back 6. My two biggest concerns with him playing back are:

1. His 1 on 1 ability (a relative unknown)
2. His ball use & creativity (can kick well, can also butcher)

Looking at that back 6, I’m less concerned about point 1 - 5/6 of those players are above average-elite 1 on 1, so Jack can get the worst forward.

His ball use is going to be the big one for me. We just cannot afford to butcher the ball in the back half anymore.

Going to be fascinating to see how this plays out, I expect that it will be trialled through preseason with the intention of him being able to play both Defence & Forward. If he can add another string, it will really help IMO.
Jack could be at the expense of one of the talls,
Would mean a whole lot more mobile back half,
FB - Kyron/Perez - McKay - Atley

also would trust him a lot more then getting caught one out on a key forward, than previously, as was always left up to JMac or McDonald to cover.

ball in hand, he could be a weapon, got a great low penetrating kick over 40/50m.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
It looks as though it's on.

Back to the future

Jack Ziebell could play a defensive role in 2021.

By Rob Burton - North Media

250121_ziebell.jpg

North Melbourne skipper Jack Ziebell could be set for a move to defence in 2021.

The 29-year-old has made his name through the midfield and up forward across 218 games, but his experience would be welcomed in the back half.

“‘Nobesy’ (David Noble) floated the idea pre-Christmas about going across half-back and it was something I definitely entertained,” Ziebell told 7 News Melbourne.

“I’ve got some great role models in the past doing the same thing in Luke Hodge and Matty Boyd and guys like this from different clubs who can go down there and have an impact.”

Ziebell is known for his relentless attack on the ball and opposition, and could provide a harder edge in defence.

“I’ve always said, whether it be midfield, forward or back, I’ll play wherever the coach wants me to play,” he said.

The North number seven had a challenging 2020 campaign, with injury hampering his ability to get out on the field.

But he's confident of bouncing back in a new-look Kangaroos' outfit.

“I probably won’t set too many expectations at the start. I’ll probably just be learning the craft of half-back, but I want to get back to playing my best football,” Ziebell added.

“I still think my best football is ahead of me.”

Reginald0

Club Legend
Jul 30, 2012
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Do you seriously believe that Jack needs to be "trained" to play the role of a defender?

He's a 218 game footballer, not a 9 year old child.

2 days is a long time on BF, w***er

Reginald0

Club Legend
Jul 30, 2012
AFL Club
North Melbourne
You spent the whole weekend slagging anyone and everyone
Or have you forgotten
Like your post
A simple Mea Culpa
Should be good at it by now

The idea of the 7th defender is that they have elite zoning ability. Jack's is elite.

They should also be able to compete in the air and rebound via penetrating kicking. Jack also has these traits.

I am not even aware of a past zoning/extra defender who had elite pace.

Jack is also well suited for the "tweeners".
Jack could potentially play the old "Pittard" role. My worry is, not so much pace, but him giving away free kicks in the wrong area of the ground. I can see that costing us 2-3 goals a week

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Jack could potentially play the old "Pittard" role. My worry is, not so much pace, but him giving away free kicks in the wrong area of the ground. I can see that costing us 2-3 goals a week

He's averaged 1.2 FA over his career.

Back