big_e

Existential crisis management consultant
Apr 28, 2008
Back Pocket
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Wycombe Wanderers
https://www.theaustralian.com.au/bu...s/news-story/02716968228e314b196f7560b36dad53

You're arguing a technicality. It's insurrectionist behaviour, from the national broadcaster.

Cut the campaigners off at the knees and withhold funding. And cancel Ita's AOTY.
I'm not arguing a technicality at all. You said the ABC only calls it invasion day. I showed they don't.

Pretty low bar for insurrection, btw.

And why are you do keen to cancel anyone who disagrees with you? That's not very nice.

Ron The Bear

Up yer arse, AFL
30k Posts 10k Posts
Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
I'm not arguing a technicality at all. You said the ABC only calls it invasion day. I showed they don't.

Pretty low bar for insurrection, btw.

And why are you do keen to cancel anyone who disagrees with you? That's not very nice.

I'm not stopping anyone from having a say, but I object to people doing it on my taxes. Defund. And give Ita a slap across the chops to bring her to her senses.

I believe I believe
Ita's lost control, yes I do
I believe I believe
At the end of the day
The ABC has gone cuckoo

It appears the most pressing concern for Cricket Australia was not that we lost the first test at the GABBA since 1988.

It is not that we lost to an Indian C team
It is not that we have massive problems with the quality of cricket in the Big Bash
It is not that we have a T20 captain who can't buy a run at the moment
It is not that we have no idea who our next captain is after Paine

It appears their No.1 priority is to ensure they are taking the right "moral stance" on Australia Day.

Who are these guys running the game these days? Why the fu** does CA even have a stance on Australia Day?

How about focusing on the game, our struggling test team, our development of junior players, the length of the Big Bash?

Disgraceful.

looking forward to a few years time where we can’t even call ourselves Australia anymore

it’ll be the Ashes between england and 11 people whose individuality is important and can’t me pigeonholed into labels

i want Australia Day changed to the date we become a republic

but whilst it remains our national day I’ll celebrate all that’s great about our country

seems rather odd that if cricket Australia find the day so offensive they are scheduling 3 games to be played on it

Ron The Bear

Up yer arse, AFL
30k Posts 10k Posts
Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
‘Yeah they didn’t even have their own cricket team or compete in the olympics.

No wonder it was declared “Terra Nullius” until Mabo came along!

Mmmm. Chances are that, undisturbed, they would be living in much the same way. But the world was closing in.

Let's deal. What is being offered in return for surrendering January 26?

The Cattery 1980

Debutant
Jan 17, 2021
AFL Club
Geelong
looking forward to a few years time where we can’t even call ourselves Australia anymore

it’ll be the Ashes between england and 11 people whose individuality is important and can’t me pigeonholed into labels

i want Australia Day changed to the date we become a republic

but whilst it remains our national day I’ll celebrate all that’s great about our country

seems rather odd that if cricket Australia find the day so offensive they are scheduling 3 games to be played on it
If the rabid left had their way, the Australian Cricket Team would enforce racial quotas like they have in South Africa, to the detriment of the team's performance.

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
If the rabid left had their way, the Australian Cricket Team would enforce racial quotas like they have in South Africa, to the detriment of the team's performance.

South Africa have a cricket team that is the complete opposite of the make up the general population of their country.

92 per cent of the country is coloured - for the majority of the cricket team’s existence before Makhaya Ntini and Herschelle Gibbs the entire 11 was always white and even after the arrival of that pair, non white players have been sparse until the quota idea was brought into existence. The whole point of it was that coloured people were stupidly underrepresented and by alienating entire races, the sport was inaccessible to all but about 5 million people.

Indigenous Australians don’t have that problem - they are actually over represented in the football codes and have a good representation in sports like basketball and the way sports here are structured there’s nothing really stopping indigenous people from succeeding in cricket. True enough the amount of players who have reached the top is minute - Jason Gillespie and Daniel Christian are the two I can think of off the top of my head - but our situation is nothing like South Africa

Ron The Bear

Up yer arse, AFL
30k Posts 10k Posts
Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
The whole point of it was that coloured people were stupidly underrepresented and by alienating entire races, the sport was inaccessible to all but about 5 million people.

Cricket's a relatively expensive game to kit up for compared to the likes of soccer or basketball. There aren't a lot of black golfers either, for the same reason.

The Cattery 1980

Debutant
Jan 17, 2021
AFL Club
Geelong
South Africa have a cricket team that is the complete opposite of the make up the general population of their country.

92 per cent of the country is coloured - for the majority of the cricket team’s existence before Makhaya Ntini and Herschelle Gibbs the entire 11 was always white and even after the arrival of that pair, non white players have been sparse until the quota idea was brought into existence. The whole point of it was that coloured people were stupidly underrepresented and by alienating entire races, the sport was inaccessible to all but about 5 million people.

Indigenous Australians don’t have that problem - they are actually over represented in the football codes and have a good representation in sports like basketball and the way sports here are structured there’s nothing really stopping indigenous people from succeeding in cricket. True enough the amount of players who have reached the top is minute - Jason Gillespie and Daniel Christian are the two I can think of off the top of my head - but our situation is nothing like South Africa
Nothing has prevented people of all races from playing for South Africa for decades. Racial quotas do nothing but cause further division and make non-white South African cricketers second wonder if the only reason they're in the side is because of tokenism/meeting quotas.

On the other side, imagine a young Pat Cummins being turned away from making his debut because he wasn't 'coloured'. It's sad what's happening over there, and the quality of their cricket side is suffering.

Nothing has prevented people of all races from playing for South Africa for decades. Racial quotas do nothing but cause further division and make non-white South African cricketers second wonder if the only reason they're in the side is because of tokenism/meeting quotas.

On the other side, imagine a young Pat Cummins being turned away from making his debut because he wasn't 'coloured'. It's sad what's happening over there, and the quality of their cricket side is suffering.
Imagine being condemned to live in a slum just because of the colour of the skin you were born with. Keep up with your straight white man victimism though, it's cute, you guys really do it tough.

May 2, 2007
WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Chicago Bears, de Boer, Arsenal
Culturally just don't like the game I think, sure cricket costs money to play properly but out my way you never ever see indigenous kids in the street or park playing the game which costs near nothing. None ever played at lunch at my school. Not having any hereos on TV to look up to like footy up to would be a big thing as well.

My nan that died before I was born was indigenous so I have fairly strong ancestry and love the game but I'm white (apart from tanning pretty quick haha), culturally I don't really have any link at all if that makes sense.

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong

Bahahahahaha

The Cattery 1980

Debutant
Jan 17, 2021
AFL Club
Geelong
Imagine being condemned to live in a slum just because of the colour of the skin you were born with. Keep up with your straight white man victimism though, it's cute, you guys really do it tough.
What structural racism exists in South Africa these days? You know, other than the South African government forcefully evicting white farmers and the police offering them little protection despite high homicide rates against them? It's not hard to see why there's such a large white flight from South Africa as country's heading down the same path as Zimbabwe.

What structural racism exists in South Africa these days? You know, other than the South African government forcefully evicting white farmers and the police offering them little protection despite high homicide rates against them? It's not hard to see why there's such a large white flight from South Africa as country's heading down the same path as Zimbabwe.
Nothing says patriotism like fleeing democracy in your own country. Farmers over there get killed because for the most part they are terrible people with a long history of violence against blacks, they're targeted for a reason and it's mostly their own fault, you don't hear about white South African accountants or bank tellers being targeted, do you? Think about it ffs.

The Cattery 1980

Debutant
Jan 17, 2021
AFL Club
Geelong
Nothing says patriotism like fleeing democracy in your own country. Farmers over there get killed because for the most part they are terrible people with a long history of violence against blacks, they're targeted for a reason and it's mostly their own fault, you don't hear about white South African accountants or bank tellers being targeted, do you? Think about it ffs.
Piss poor generalisations against farmers which, for the most part these days, would be good people. White farmers are easy targets compared to bankers and accountants, and the South African government and the police have made it pretty clear that they're fair game.

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong

Yes, because slavery doesn't exist these days there are no remnants of racism in the USA either. The instant you change the laws, everything is cured. That's how it works isn't it?

Yes, because slavery doesn't exist these days there are no remnants of racism in the USA either. The instant you change the laws, everything is cured. That's how it works isn't it?
It made me laugh when Dutton wanted to import these knuckle draggers citing them as successful farmers. Let's see how much they can yield here without the slave labour they enjoy currently on farms in South Africa. .

Oct 3, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
West Perth
Still waiting for an indigenous leader to tell us the date they think is significant? Decades into this debate and still no date.
Try and help us with an alternative and we will celebrate that day. Just a day of work for the majority so they don’t really care one way or another.

VogonProsthetnic

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 26, 2010
Beaufort
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Still waiting for an indigenous leader to tell us the date they think is significant? Decades into this debate and still no date.
Try and help us with an alternative and we will celebrate that day. Just a day of work for the majority so they don’t really care one way or another.
Sounds like Jonny Howard’s strategy to block the republic. Ask someone to come up with a detailed plan then argue for status quo by shooting down the details.

Oct 3, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
West Perth
Sounds like Jonny Howard’s strategy to block the republic. Ask someone to come up with a detailed plan then argue for status quo by shooting down the details.

Not really, the majority don't care what date it is. The indigenous do care so let them set a date and just move on. It's the government that won't change the date. The people don't care.

VogonProsthetnic

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 26, 2010
Beaufort
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Not really, the majority don't care what date it is. The indigenous do care so let them set a date and just move on. It's the government that won't change the date. The people don't care.

You may be correct. Most people I know like the convenience of a holiday in late January and would have no idea of James Cook, the first fleet or the application of British property law.

That said, it’s pretty meaningless picking a date which has nothing to do with nationhood and marked the start of a illegal dispossession.

As a Victorian, I object to Sydney siders foisting a date of their own on the rest of Australia. Seeing Bob Hawke and his mates sipping Chardonnay on their yachts at the bi- centenary pretending they represented the rest of Australia was galling.

Back