Crow Envy

Cancelled
Dec 2, 2006
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood
I've still not given up on Davis. Showed some nice signs in the 2 games he played. One against the Cats at Kardinia, every forward sucked that day. Then had 2 less disposals than Smith, Tex and Gibbs in round 1 last season. 1 less than Jones. Madness that he didn't get another crack.
Just can’t see him getting a game, the fact he couldn’t get a game last year says it all and he will have more competition this year.

Plus we moved him to the rookie list which shows where he’s ranked.

But our management of Davis has been been absurd. Extend his contract after years on the list without a game, give him a death game against Geelong, pump him up last preseason, give him a game where he actually got coaches votes and then never to be seen again after the Covid break when we stank.

Something has to be up, he must have eaten 30 Big Macs on the Covid break.

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
Just can’t see him getting a game, the fact he couldn’t get a game last year says it all and he will have more competition this year.

But our management of Davis has been been absurd. Extend his contract after years on the list without a game, give him a death game against Geelong, pump him up last preseason, give him a game where he actually got coaches votes and then never to be seen again after the Covid break when we stank.

Great, now I've got a hankering for a Big Mac. Nice work.

I've still not given up on Davis. Showed some nice signs in the 2 games he played. One against the Cats at Kardinia, every forward sucked that day. Then had 2 less disposals than Smith, Tex and Gibbs in round 1 last season. 1 less than Jones. Madness that he didn't get another crack.

Yeah I found that baffling as well. Had a good preseason, solidish game against Sydney then COVID happened and was never seen again.

You'd think he genuinely ****ed up during the lockdowns and is a dead man walking. Especially as Cook has entered the scene now.

Mego Red

The Artist Formerly Known As Kristof
10k Posts
Oct 3, 2003
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Soft spot for Brisbane
Yeah I found that baffling as well. Had a good preseason, solidish game against Sydney then COVID happened and was never seen again.

You'd think he genuinely f’ed up during the lockdowns and is a dead man walking. Especially as Cook has entered the scene now.

Interesting to hear from Borlase that Davis is one of the fittest and most dedicated players at the club. Maybe I've dimissed him a bit soon - I'd be curious whether that's a change from what he's shown in the past.

May 24, 2006
Car 55
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Redbacks, Sturt, Liverpool, Arizona
Interesting to hear from Borlase that Davis is one of the fittest and most dedicated players at the club. Maybe I've dimissed him a bit soon - I'd be curious whether that's a change from what he's shown in the past.
That's genuinely baffling

Fit and dedicated usually gets you a spot in the side. Mackay, Kelly, etc.

So he must be absolutely atrocious at football if his preparation is elite

Sidthehat

All Australian
Oct 7, 2017
London
AFL Club
Adelaide
Where did he say this?

Mego Red

10k Posts
Oct 3, 2003
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Soft spot for Brisbane

Mego Red

10k Posts
Oct 3, 2003
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Soft spot for Brisbane
Isn’t it a bit soon for Borlase to know what constitutes elite preparation and standards?
Probably.

I guess he can compare it to his peers, to the Sturt senior team and to what he sees at the Crows. Whether that's enough, who knows

Aug 4, 2004
on planet Crow
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
36ers
Davis was always considered super talented, but perhaps lacking in the desire required to make the most of his talent.
I believe that getting that taste, getting dropped out and then getting relegated tot he rookie list has lit a fire under him. I can confirm that he is taking his training very, very seriously this year. Let's hope we see the best of his ability in the top team this year.

May 29, 2011
SA
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt
Davis was always considered super talented, but perhaps lacking in the desire required to make the most of his talent.
I believe that getting that taste, getting dropped out and then getting relegated tot he rookie list has lit a fire under him. I can confirm that he is taking his training very, very seriously this year. Let's hope we see the best of his ability in the top team this year.
Vibe I get from him is the opposite. Works hard on the track, looks to be in great shape, isn't heaps talented. He definitely looks a step above SANFL in the games I've seen him play but he's overdue to take next step to AFL. The safe bet would be delistment after another year of nothing.

I'm not particularly happy with the way we've handled Davis tbh. It shouldn't take a club this long to figure out if a guy is AFL standard. I'm never happy when we continually extend a players contract only to have them stuck in the reserves. I don't care if he's on basement rates, it's a waste of a list spot.

JPetro83

Premiership Player
Sep 25, 2014
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt, Adel United & Leeds United

You can tell from all reports he has busted his gut this pre season.. its his last crack at it. I cant see who he keeps out? maybe if Lynch gets an injury? or maybe just play him no matter what for a few weeks and not just can him after 1 game. give him a fair crack.

Mego Red

10k Posts
Oct 3, 2003
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Soft spot for Brisbane
You can tell from all reports he has busted his gut this pre season.. its his last crack at it. I cant see who he keeps out? maybe if Lynch gets an injury? or maybe just play him no matter what for a few weeks and not just can him after 1 game. give him a fair crack.
I think Davis is trying to make sure he's in that top 25 or so. He won't be first cab off the rank, but there will eventually be injuries so he's making himself ready.

Oct 16, 2011
AFL Club
Adelaide
Vibe I get from him is the opposite. Works hard on the track, looks to be in great shape, isn't heaps talented. He definitely looks a step above SANFL in the games I've seen him play but he's overdue to take next step to AFL. The safe bet would be delistment after another year of nothing.

I'm not particularly happy with the way we've handled Davis tbh. It shouldn't take a club this long to figure out if a guy is AFL standard. I'm never happy when we continually extend a players contract only to have them stuck in the reserves. I don't care if he's on basement rates, it's a waste of a list spot.

Agree with this, there is an element of desire within the club where they'd rather keep what they have because it is a known (in regards to ability/output) than to cut their losses and try their luck at getting someone who works out better. It explains how we let players carve out careers here whilst being little more than a bit player. It reduces hunger amongst the list when they realise you can just get by.

Based on what I saw of him in the SANFL level I never quite understood the hype. Looked like a player with enough tools to be drafted late, but not enough tools to make it

hey shorty

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
Based on what I saw of him in the SANFL level I never quite understood the hype. Looked like a player with enough tools to be drafted late, but not enough tools to make it
I'm a bit the same.

Neat skills, decent overhead and good pace. Nothing terrible but nothing outstanding. Typical late pick gamble that hasn't paid off to this point.

Jun 21, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
I'm a bit the same.

Neat skills, decent overhead and good pace. Nothing terrible but nothing outstanding. Typical late pick gamble that hasn't paid off to this point.

From memory, he was drafted as a cheap "project player". I think the reservation on him at the time was regarding his drive and application, rather than skills. I tend to agree: I like the look of him in games, but does he do enough? Perhaps, this year his toned body indicates that he has found some desire? He won't find a better opportunity to put his case.

Aug 9, 2019
Victorian Central Highlands
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Panthers, GWV Rebels, Central Augusta
From memory, he was drafted as a cheap "project player". I think the reservation on him at the time was regarding his drive and application, rather than skills. I tend to agree: I like the look of him in games, but does he do enough? Perhaps, this year his toned body indicates that he has found some desire? He won't find a better opportunity to put his case.
This was former Swans AFL/Geelong VFL player and long time NSW/ACT talent Manager Darren Denneman's take on Ben Davis in his draft year (2016) remembering he was eligible for the Swans through their Academy program the previous year most of which he missed with foot fractures from memory.

“He's a versatile type, maybe more so than people give him credit for. He did well in our early academy stuff as a forward so we ended up leaving him there, but he could play as a half-back as well. He has good hands and I think he has genuine pace when he goes, he just needs to use it a bit more consistently than he does. He understands the game well, thinks his way through things and is quite mature in terms of where he's at in his life."

Nov 1, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
I think the early wraps on his older brother did Ben Davis no harm

kick it to me_

Team Captain
Jul 12, 2020
AFL Club
Adelaide
Any chance wayne milera, goes on the long term injury list and his spot on the list gets opened up?
Murray Bushrangers midfielder Zavier Maher missed out on a spot at Carlton, would love afc to give him a crack.

On SM-G988B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Back