Opinion The SARS-COV-2 and COVID-19 Political or otherwise all you can eat Buffet.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
For some some reason videos won't play for me, I'm presuming she uses her underwear as a mask?
Yeah, and when he won't accept that she takes off her bra and he finally relents..

You'll be impressed she was desperate to get food for her dog...

Hmmmmm

This is what I said in my very 1st post in the covid thread.

This is something the Chinese were developing in their laboratories as a weapon (eg. To exterminate rohingyans).. but someone got careless & it escaped by accident... & now we have this pandemic that has killed millions & cost jobs & economies a motza.

If proven, there should be a super tax applied by all countries on Chinese imports to pay back the cost of covid. Their arrogance needs to be dealt with as they have showed no contrition.

This is what I said in my very 1st post in the covid thread.

This is something the Chinese were developing in their laboratories as a weapon (eg. To exterminate rohingyans).. but someone got careless & it escaped by accident... & now we have this pandemic that has killed millions & cost jobs & economies a motza.

If proven, there should be a super tax applied by all countries on Chinese imports to pay back the cost of covid. Their arrogance needs to be dealt with as they have showed no contrition.
Rohingyans, or Uighurs?

Rohingyans are the people that the Burmese Govt is trying to eliminate, through means of genocide.

Looks like AdV was on the money, TGA approval in January, not an emergency approval like most of the other countries did last year.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-01-25/pfizer-covid-19-vaccine-approved-australia-tga/13087990

Vaccinations to start end of February, interesting the vaccine won't be mandatory for Aged care workers.

Is that because the vaccine doesn't stop you catching Covid - the vaccine just reduces the "severity" of symptoms so presumably you can still test positive and spread it?

Is that because the vaccine doesn't stop you catching Covid - the vaccine just reduces the "severity" of symptoms so presumably you can still test positive and spread it?
Pretty much. It's also the reason why someone who has been vaccinated will still need to do 14 days of quarantine, until Australia achieves herd immunity.

... whether or not it's even possible to achieve herd immunity, when the majority of the population will be receiving the relatively low efficacy Oxford Astrazeneca vaccine, is another question entirely.

Pretty much. It's also the reason why someone who has been vaccinated will still need to do 14 days of quarantine, until Australia achieves herd immunity.

... whether or not it's even possible to achieve herd immunity, when the majority of the population will be receiving the relatively low efficacy Oxford Astrazeneca vaccine, is another question entirely.

Does any one know if it will be a vaccination we will need on an ongoing basis?

If the different strains that are appearing "vary" too much would the vaccine need to be rejigged like the yearly flu jab?

I suppose it is still too early to know.

If the different strains that are appearing "vary" too much would the vaccine need to be rejigged like the yearly flu jab?

Probably, but they don't know. The trials haven't been running long enough to determine how long the vaccine remains effective. They can tell you that the Pfizer vaccine is ~95% effective for the first 1-2 months after receiving the 2nd shot. Beyond that, they just don't have the longitudinal trial data to tell you more. They don't know how long the efficacy lasts, or how quickly it disappears once it starts to wear off.

From what I've read, the best case scenario is re-vaccination every 2 years - but it could be as short as 6 months. They just don't know yet.

Following the news today I can't get my head around the confirmation that the Tokyo Olympics will go ahead. Japan is *maybe* starting to see their third wave under control so *only* 5k new cases a day! Is it that countries like the US and UK are looking at Japan being lower risk than staying at home? Otherwise how are they justifying participation?

Following the news today I can't get my head around the confirmation that the Tokyo Olympics will go ahead. Japan is *maybe* starting to see their third wave under control so *only* 5k new cases a day! Is it that countries like the US and UK are looking at Japan being lower risk than staying at home? Otherwise how are they justifying participation?
Yes, seems strange even without crowds.

Think how difficult is has been to arrange the Australian Tennis Open with participants all over the world. Multiply that several times over with the number of participants, coaches & officials with more countries involved... in a country that still has plenty of community infection.

Just like the Tennis, there will be people come in with covid. It will be chaos.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Looks likely extra jabs will be needed. Likely to be like the flu shot.

Yes, seems strange even without crowds.

Think how difficult is has been to arrange the Australian Tennis Open with participants all over the world. Multiply that several times over with the number of participants, coaches & officials with more countries involved... in a country that still has plenty of community infection.

Just like the Tennis, there will be people come in with covid. It will be chaos.
14k went to the 2016 Olympics. Add on officials, coaches, 30k to 50k? Compare that to 1,400 coming into Australia for the AO

I’m just gobsmacked that they even think the Olympics can go ahead in less than 6 months. Just bizarre.
Won't go ahead. Japan already want to cancel and host again in 12 years.

Moderna CEO: US needs to prepare for fall, COVID-19 resurgence

"News of Moderna’s vaccine’s weakened efficacy to the South African strain (B.1.351) of the coronavirus is raising concern amid the ongoing pandemic.

The World Health Organization’s Melissa Van Kherkove said during a briefing Monday that the emergence of variants means even more attention should be paid to mitigation measures in absence of widespread vaccinations.

“Everything we are learning about these variants does not change our approach to controlling COVID. It will take longer than all of us want for vaccines to have the impact that they will have,” she said.

Michael Ryan, executive director of the WHO Health Emergencies Programme, added that the virus is going to continue to transmit “likely for a very long time.”

To-date, smallpox is the only disease to be eradicated, with polio and measles an ongoing fight.

“I don’t believe we should start setting elimination or eradication of this virus as the bar for success. The bar for success is reducing the capacity of this virus to kill, to put people in hospital, to destroy our economic (and) social lives,” Ryan said.

“We have to reach a point where we are in control of the virus,” he said."

Can I suggest several of my "favourite" posters on this board should holiday in China? :p

China is enforcing strict new measures, including anal swab testing, as COVID-19 cases surge ahead of Lunar New Year, a time of high travel for the country.

Groups deemed necessary for "close monitoring", including international arrivals, are being subjected to four tests — a nasal swab, a throat swab, a blood test and an anal swab.

"Applying extra anal swabs can improve the detection rate of infection and reduce missed diagnosis," Li Tongzeng, associate director of respiratory and infectious diseases at Beijing's You'an Hospital, told state broadcaster Central Chinese Television (CCTV).

So it maybe on a state by state basis. NSW is not as stringent as other states - so NSW might miss out on the travel bubble without having to do quarantine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back