Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 4 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fans don't realise it's not soccer. There's a salary cap & you can't transfer players in. It's a squad game these days. Geelong have been great at attracting players, I'm a bit dubious about their salary cap & wouldn't be surprised if a BAD smell emanates from Kardinia park, and it's not the oil refineries.

St Kilda have taken the easy route. Hawthorn tried but have failed. There's merit in bringing through a cohesive group ahead of recruiting 'stars'.
Dubious. Lol.

If they're not cheating the cap you can pineapple me sideways in the cornhole.

Munnez

Premiership Player
Apr 2, 2018
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Slight correction. Hawthorn tried, succeeded quite well, then tried again and so far have failed in trading in ready made stars / role players.

Successful clubs find the right balance......with a pinch of good fortune.
It worked the first time as they had a very solid core of stars that they drafted, then topped up. Now they have tried bringing in a couple of stars and broken down players on the cheap and that strategy hasn't been successful. Same idea but very different execution, there is no ONE way to get it done but a good slice of luck doesn't hurt

Bulldogs Legend

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 18, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
M Boyd was never timid or scared of body contact.

Plenty of players that can’t kick well have played backline very well(Wood and Moz to name two), name one that didn’t like to be in contests.... I will wait.

I don’t need to see Caleb Daniel in the ruck to know it won’t work.
Ok if you say so

i prefer coaches who explore all variables than just pigeon holing

Bulldogs Legend

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 18, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I understand the “only pick on merit” philosophy but .... can’t help thinking we might have missed a trick in not signing him to Footscray. Just a little extra incentive for Josh to stay.
No I understand what your saying but we need to be consistent with how we treat our player. We extended his contract 18 months ago and he agreed to that so now the ball is in his court

Bulldogs Legend

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 18, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Slight correction. Hawthorn tried, succeeded quite well, then tried again and so far have failed in trading in ready made stars / role players.

Successful clubs find the right balance......with a pinch of good fortune.
Their recruiters have been living of Burgoyne for a long while and don’t forget he came into a side that benefitted from the original overly generous priority pick system

Virgin Dog

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
As a Dogs fan growing up, I can't imagine Lipinski will be in any rush to leave the club. Admittedly i've not seen much of the Crows, but given the hype around McAsey, he hasn't seemed to live up to it just yet from the bits i've seen.
If it were the NBA where we could ship off players at will, then I'd be moving Lipinski on without hesitation. Many other clubs would kill to have him in their side, but we can't afford another slow midfielder with no defensive game. A club like Hawthorn or West Coast would suit him perfectly.

In reality, he'll likely be a long term Dogs player, and if the VFL returns properly this year, he may work on the defensive aspect of his game and make a valuable member of the side.

Pugz89

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 29, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
If it were the NBA where we could ship off players at will, then I'd be moving Lipinski on without hesitation. Many other clubs would kill to have him in their side, but we can't afford another slow midfielder with no defensive game. A club like Hawthorn or West Coast would suit him perfectly.

In reality, he'll likely be a long term Dogs player, and if the VFL returns properly this year, he may work on the defensive aspect of his game and make a valuable member of the side.
It is also about trying to maximise his strengths and hide/improve his weaknesses. Tbh his goal sense is actually pretty good, so I wonder if he could play as a half-forward, rather than a midfielder. His entries into forward 50 are usually pretty good as well. He will be behind a few others, but that is probably his best chance of getting games outside of a lengthy injury list.

Jun 19, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
As a Dogs fan growing up, I can't imagine Lipinski will be in any rush to leave the club. Admittedly i've not seen much of the Crows, but given the hype around McAsey, he hasn't seemed to live up to it just yet from the bits i've seen.
I’m not convinced by McAsey either yet but very early days. He does seem gettable though which is the first challenge and I believe we do need to improve at KPD.

We have absolutely zero chance with Balta. Would love it to happen though. He would improve us so much.

I’m not convinced by McAsey either yet but very early days. He does seem gettable though which is the first challenge and I believe we do need to improve at KPD.
I didn't followed McAsey's 2020 form but speaking more generally it can change quickly, especially for taller players. A topical example: Balta didn't get a game in his first year at Richmond but played 13 games in 2019 and 17 games in the shortened 2020 season.

I agree it's unlikely we'd prise Balta away from Richmond. We had our chance in the ND if we were after a quick tall player. He went at pick 25 in 2017 while we took Richards at 16 that year. However we need to remember that Balta would have been considered a huge reach at pick 16 especially after we'd drafted another tall defender in Naughton at pick 9. Knightmare had him going at pick 49 and Brett Anderson at pick 41. Twomey / Landsberger didn't mention him at all in their top 30/20. Fox had him at pick 40. Congrats to Richmond on their courageous drafting. Sometimes it pays off!

It's a hindsight call. I was happy with the Richards pick at the time but would we swap Richards for Balta now? I certainly would. Would it be enough for a trade? Nuh. Although who knows, maybe Richards will have a breakout year ... ?🤞

It's another reason why debates about "who won this year's draft" are meaningless until you have a longer perspective, say 4-5 years.

Munnez

Premiership Player
Apr 2, 2018
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
What would MacAsey cost? I get the feeling he wants out of the Crows.
If I recall MD was saying something about McAsey and the dogs at the next trade period. So there could be something brewing there particularly if Dunks still wants out, would have enough trade capital to work out a deal

Dale4captain

Premiership Player
Sep 14, 2010
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
If McAsey is available and willing to come across at a reasonable price, you do that every day of the week. Supremely talented junior that has been hung out to dry by the crows. Haven’t settled him in at one end. Treat him very similarly to how we treat Lewy Young. He’s still stick thin, too.

weltschmerz

Brownlow Medallist
May 23, 2019
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I'd use our first rounder on McAsey in a heartbeat. Top 10 pick with two years of development under his belt. He's a Dogs man through and through, bring him home.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back