Society/Culture The Humanities: A cesspool of academic fraud

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club

Why do you think you speak on behalf of everyone?

Do you think you might be over-influenced by group consensus? If so, do you think this makes you a better thinker?

A group experience takes place on a lower level of consciousness than the experience of an individual. This is due to the fact that, when many people gather together to share one common emotion, the total psyche emerging from the group is below the level of the individual psyche. If it is a very large group, the collective psyche will be more like the psyche of an animal, which is the reason why the ethical attitude of large organizations is always doubtful. The psychology of a large crowd inevitably sinks to the level of mob psychology. If, therefore, I have a so-called collective experience as a member of a group, it takes place on a lower level of consciousness than if I had the experience by myself alone. ― C.G. Jung, The Archetypes and the Collective Unconscious

Why do you think you speak on behalf of everyone?

Do you think you might be over-influenced by group consensus? If so, do you think this makes you a better thinker?

[Boring, pseudo-intellectualism, wall of text snip]

No

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Last edited:
Jul 5, 2011
AFL Club
Collingwood
Now you're reading sh*t on other forums and misunderstanding it.

In Australia we don't have the privatised student loan system. We have HECS. And repayment isn't an issue, as it's deduced from your income automatically.

Grants are another issue entirely. You don't repay a grant. You do however have to apply for it and get accepted. This acceptance is dictated on your research proposal, not who you are or who you vote for. I've never done it, but heard the process is a pain in the arse (don't know if they were getting a public one or private)
I was referring to academia broadly, not just in Australia. And of course HECS repayment is an issue, it relies on the student to not only have an income, but have an income greater than 46k. The only gender studies grads that make that are the ones who landed jobs as lecturers.

Jul 5, 2011
AFL Club
Collingwood
I don't understand the contempt towards arts and humanities. My dad has the same view, and he finished school in year 9. That's always lead me to believe that this view comes from ignorance more than anything.

I took several arts/humanities of these subjects as electives while I was studying a STEM degree in computing, and I found that I was able to transfer a lot of these knowledge when having to consider the ethical, societal, or legal impacts of the applications or systems I was designing implementing. I felt it really gave me an edge over the typical IT types when showcasing, or explaining certain choices in my end products.
Be honest, listening to some lanky virgin crap on about "ethics" did not make you a better coder, you're just trying to justify the decision. Which is fine.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Be honest, listening to some lanky virgin crap on about "ethics" did not make you a better coder, you're just trying to justify the decision. Which is fine.

The irony of my "ethics" course module is that it was taught by the most biased virtue signaling professor that I have encountered in tertiary education. She literally imposed the same crap on the classroom at the start of lectures, which she then went on to point out as ethical issues in the supervisor-student relationship.

I used to get great joy out of driving her nuts about her contradictions.

I was referring to academia broadly, not just in Australia. And of course HECS repayment is an issue, it relies on the student to not only have an income, but have an income greater than 46k. The only gender studies grads that make that are the ones who landed jobs as lecturers.

even cleaners can earn that kind of money these days. average wage is a fair bit higher than 46k

Jul 5, 2011
AFL Club
Collingwood
The irony of my "ethics" course module is that it was taught by the most biased virtue signaling professor that I have encountered in tertiary education. She literally imposed the same crap on the classroom at the start of lectures, which she then went on to point out as ethical issues in the supervisor-student relationship.

I used to get great joy out of driving her nuts about her contradictions.
This bloke lectured students on ethics, in between his other hobby of assaulting people with deadly weapons. Wonder if it made his students better coders :p

even cleaners can earn that kind of money these days. average wage is a fair bit higher than 46k
Of course, but you're suggesting that this type of professional victim would agree to be a cleaner rather than finding excuses to get on the disability pension.

This bloke lectured students on ethics, in between his other hobby of assaulting people with deadly weapons. Wonder if it made his students better coders :p

Of course, but you're suggesting that this type of professional victim would agree to be a cleaner rather than finding excuses to get on the disability pension.

im suggesting that unless they are working as a social worker or similarly lowly paid job (because we pay jack s**t to people who do those kinds of jobs sadly) they will be having a salary high enough to be deducted from

you're just pushing the myth because its what people in the usa complain about, but their student loan system is completely different to ours.

You probably should have just shut up then, instead of making yourself look like a goose.

Yeah, it's only Carl Jung. FFS.

You implied that the only way my perspective could be valid was if I had no idea what I was on about. You may as well have wrote "nice point, for a *in idiot!! 😎😎"

Don't mistake me choosing not to deal with inanity as me cowering in fear of your intelligence. You're just predictable in your response on these sorts of topics, and it's become a bit tiresome.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club

A philosophy professor, which goes back to the premise of this thread, and my claims for limited academia inserting itself in to non aligned fields.

IMO, an ethics module for computer engineers should be predominately overseen by a law professor.

A lot of these people eek out careers by secreting themselves in to non aligned fields, and this ultimately goes back to administrations filled with like minded people from similar backgrounds. It is becoming a self replicating industry of academic excrement.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
You implied that the only way my perspective could be valid was if I had no idea what I was on about. You may as well have wrote "nice point, for a fu**in idiot!! 😎😎"

Yes, but that would be crass.

Don't mistake me choosing not to deal with inanity as me cowering in fear of your intelligence. You're just predictable in your response on these sorts of topics, and it's become a bit tiresome.

It seems to get a rise out of you, and I don't remember linking you in to this conversation.

My take is that there's something gnawing at you, and I am not the real issue.

You're opinion on academia is probably about as useful as mine is on plumbing.

Yes, but that would be crass.

It seems to get a rise out of you, and I don't remember linking you in to this conversation.

My take is that there's something gnawing at you, and I am not the real issue.

Not at all mate, just a bit confused as to why you post on a forum at all when all you want to do is blog. Have at it all you want, I'm no mod or anything like that. It's just a shame that a bloke can't post in a thread that you're in without knowing you're eventually going to come in and do a big smelly s**t in it.

Jul 5, 2011
AFL Club
Collingwood
You're opinion on academia is probably about as useful as mine is on plumbing.
I've done it all m8, bach of commerce, cert iii in electrotechnology, seen it all. The uni system could learn a bit from the TAFE system, a bit more hands-on training, work placement n whatnot.

I'm not out here claiming that interpretive dance made my C++ better, but what I'm suggesting isn't outrageous or even original thought.

There's definitely a role when developing a tool or product in knowing how to market it, knowing how people might interact with applications, knowing deployment area demographics, designing a visually appealing GUI, and all of these come from areas outside computing.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
I'm not out here claiming that interpretive dance made my C++ better, but what I'm suggesting isn't outrageous or even original thought.

There's definitely a role when developing a tool or product in knowing how to market it, knowing how people might interact with applications, knowing deployment area demographics, designing a visually appealing GUI, and all of these come from areas outside computing.

Basically, how to make money.

Last edited:
I've done it all m8, bach of commerce, cert iii in electrotechnology, seen it all. The uni system could learn a bit from the TAFE system, a bit more hands-on training, work placement n whatnot.

You haven't done it all

My Bach of Commerce had me doing multiple case studies per unit per semester for real companies with real scenarios and presentations.

And that was nearly 30 years ago.

The era of a Bach being confined to a classroom with make believe scenarios is long gone

Jul 5, 2011
AFL Club
Collingwood
You haven't done it all

My Bach of Commerce had me doing multiple case studies per unit per semester for real companies with real scenarios and presentations.

And that was nearly 30 years ago.

The era of a Bach being confined to a classroom with make believe scenarios is long gone
Perhaps it's gone in the wrong direction then. I graduated 2009 and it consisted of a lecturer or tutor reading jargon straight from the textbook.

Perhaps it's gone in the wrong direction then. I graduated 2009 and it consisted of a lecturer or tutor reading jargon straight from the textbook.

The uni can be a factor. Don't won't to dox either of us, so won't go further for each.

I know some have commerce depts with strong industry ties, some just cash the cheque

raskolnikov

Cancelled
10k Posts 30k Posts Wordler Werewolf Player Essendon Player Sponsor 2021 - Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti and Archie Perkins Essendon Player Sponsor 2020 Essendon Player Sponsor 2019 Song Contest Winner - 5+ Rounds
Apr 1, 2002
Cap Coast
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Gold Coast Suns
I was a Literature/Music double major. I loved my classes. My Literature professor especially was awesome. Made the likes of Dickens, Tolstoy and Zola come alive.

pugsville

Club Legend
Nov 28, 2001
leningrad
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
collingwood
Ran out of ideas and playing the man already Gough?

You really are a pissweak intellect.

He;' still wearing pants which you however are not stil not wearing pants.

Have you addressed the fact that the so called evidence presented in the OP by Peterson was so flawed as to be worthless,

Are just going crap on, insulting people or are actually going to have resoansed debate were you are capable oif defending with arguments and evidence your claim?

pugsville

Club Legend
Nov 28, 2001
leningrad
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
collingwood
FFS, "cutting edge physics" is the architecture of the modern material world.

raskolnikov, you are actually undertaking a worthy intellectual pursuit. Why would you even associate yourself with this toilet?

No mate, I have predominately focused on the concept and have only played the man when engaged in that manner.

You're better than this.

Well you obviously not betger than this because it;s all you do.

try wearing pants,

Back