Miscellaneous Sports 2021 off-season

Remove this Banner Ad

Team

After a good suggestion, we’ve decided to move all non-AFL threads to the old and dusty “Purple Horde” sub thread. The hope is it has the following effects
A) Keeps them easily available but still out of sight
B) Encourages the use of the sub-forums like they are meant to be used for and brings a bit more organisation to the forum
C) While I love how passionate everyone is on the topics and that there is terrific debate on the topics, moderating the politics thread can get... tiresome. I’ll be letting things go a bit more, however personal attacks will not be tolerated and I encourage you to report them in any shape or form.

As usual, reach out to BeinPurplenGreen, myself and Tonga Bob to discuss anything as needed. Thanks for making the forum what it is.

Last edited:
I don't know Isa, but if she is a pom, let her commentate English games.
I was referring to the English lady during the test coverage.
Australia vs India & they bring in a pom?!
It does my head in.
I'm guessing Isa is a big bash commentator. I generally don't watch that.
I actually prefer women's cricket nowadays & only watch the men play tests.
You're insane. Isa Guha is a class act.

Lovely voice to to listen to and has that understated class common in English commentators. Away Ashes are always my favourite series because of the quality of their commentary. Understated class reminiscent of Richie and co, while we get loud patriotic cheerleading over here (though life is much better now I have Kayo and don't have to listen to Healy and Slater screaming at me anymore).

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

It does my head in.

We wouldn't have to get in foreign commentators if ours weren't a bunch of absolute *******s.

It does my head in.

1. She is probably the best female commentator there is even better than many of the male commentators.
2. That is pretty closed minded just because she has an accent and/or she isn't aussie.
3. She has indian herritage so makes sense in an aus v ind match.

It does my head in.

if you're referring to the british lady on channel 7, Alison Mitchell likewise is a good commentator. that's frankly all I care about, did you have an issue with Tony Greig commentating here for 30 odd years?

if you're referring to the british lady on channel 7, Alison Mitchell likewise is a good commentator. that's frankly all I care about, did you have an issue with Tony Greig commentating here for 30 odd years?

Don't forget Mark Nicholas as well.

That was the one.
Perhaps I'm fed up with all of the English people on Australian television. It seems every one of those reality shows that I don't watch, but there are infinite ads for, always seem to have an English guy there to provide "bitchy" comments?
Tony Greig was different & may have been a former England captain, but his accent was South African.
I really didn't like them using Mark Nicholas as the lead, that's for sure.
Having posted these views here, I actually like the commentary of Geoff Boycott.
For mine we should have our own commentators, along with representatives from teams we are playing.
We should have had a few Indian commentators, IMO.

Radio commentary, nothing worse than jumping in the car & listening to cricket & the commentators ramble on about nothing without giving the score.

“Great shot, 4 runs, now back to the story about 1984 & what we had for dinner on the 3rd night of the 2nd test at Lords”

FFS your on the radio & we can’t see what the fcuk is going on, give us a regular score!!

Tampa Bay are into the Superbowl with Tom Brady showing he can still call enough shots when required. Three intercepts is not his usual form however and he won't want to give those kind of chances to either of the other two teams they will play in the Superbowl.

Bill Belichick and the Patriots looked rather average this season without TB12. A decent QB will paper over quite a few deficiencies on a roster it seems.

Tampa Bay are into the Superbowl with Tom Brady showing he can still call enough shots when required. Three intercepts is not his usual form however and he won't want to give those kind of chances to either of the other two teams they will play in the Superbowl.

Bill Belichick and the Patriots looked rather average this season without TB12. A decent QB will paper over quite a few deficiencies on a roster it seems.

Yes, so it would seem. But I think Tom finally feels his age next time against the best young player in the game. The Packers are like Geelong this past nine years - always good but never quite good enough to get it done. This was their best chance - against an arthritic QB who hates playing in the cold;)

That was the one.
Perhaps I'm fed up with all of the English people on Australian television. It seems every one of those reality shows that I don't watch, but there are infinite ads for, always seem to have an English guy there to provide "bitchy" comments?
Tony Greig was different & may have been a former England captain, but his accent was South African.
I really didn't like them using Mark Nicholas as the lead, that's for sure.
Having posted these views here, I actually like the commentary of Geoff Boycott.
For mine we should have our own commentators, along with representatives from teams we are playing.
We should have had a few Indian commentators, IMO.
Sunil Gavaskar? With stints via video link of Harsha Bogle on Fox.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It does my head in.

She is a Pom from an Indian migrant background. An excellent choice as a guest commentator. (As CapitalA has said)

She is a Pom from an Indian migrant background. An excellent choice as a guest commentator. (As CapitalA has said)

Absolutely. And I might say that this has been a very strange discussion. Perhaps we should be discussing how our national team, having made good strides since 'sandpaper', builds from here after being outplayed by a very good and very deep Indian team.

I don’t get the decision to bowl first against the Heat. Scorchers always play better when they have put the runs up, then back the bowlers to defend the total. I don’t think they handle the pressure of having to chase, where as when they’re defending they seem to relish it.
Chris Lynn is going ballistic, and Perth needed all 4 points to stay on top and get a home final. Right now they can kiss one of those points goodbye, regardless of the outcome of the game.

I don’t get the decision to bowl first against the Heat. Scorchers always play better when they have put the runs up, then back the bowlers to defend the total. I don’t think they handle the pressure of having to chase, where as when they’re defending they seem to relish it.
Chris Lynn is going ballistic, and Perth needed all 4 points to stay on top and get a home final. Right now they can kiss one of those points goodbye, regardless of the outcome of the game.

it’s a hard decision. On this occasion it will not work but you can’t guarantee that you will win every toss so you have to practice both setting and chasing a total.

It might still benefit them in the finals even if they lose.

it’s a hard decision. On this occasion it will not work but you can’t guarantee that you will win every toss so you have to practice both setting and chasing a total.

It might still benefit them in the finals even if they lose.
Firstly I can see your logic in getting practice in doing the opposite of what you normally do, however I also think there’s merit in doing what you need to do to be in the best possible position for finals. Scorchers post 175 batting first, the will more than likely win the game, and subsequently finish top of the table.
Now they have to rely on the Stars to beat the Sixers to do that.
why do you say losing might still benefit them?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back