Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 17, 2007
melb home of the kangas
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
hellas,liverpool,storm,au
Shaun Atley - take 2nd Round pick if it comes, Jesus. Before they change their mind.
Tom Campbell* - Re-sign. 1 year.
Trent Dumont - Take compensation
Taylor Garner
- re-sign if gets back to best and remains on the park.
Kyron Hayden* - re-sign for 2 years immediately
Luke McDonald - re-sign for 3 years.
Connor Menadue* - Is he on our list?
Robbie Tarrant - 2 year extension.
Josh Walker* - 1 year extension.
Will Walker* - TBC, I like him
Jack Ziebell - love Jack but probably would take compensation if it were 2nd Round.

Got to be a better backup ruck around than Campbell- that can play forward as well.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Shaun Atley - take 2nd Round pick if it comes, Jesus. Before they change their mind.
Tom Campbell* - Re-sign. 1 year.
Trent Dumont - Take compensation
Taylor Garner
- re-sign if gets back to best and remains on the park.
Kyron Hayden* - re-sign for 2 years immediately
Luke McDonald - re-sign for 3 years.
Connor Menadue* - Is he on our list?
Robbie Tarrant - 2 year extension.
Josh Walker* - 1 year extension.
Will Walker* - TBC, I like him
Jack Ziebell - love Jack but probably would take compensation if it were 2nd Round.

Hey, at least you're original.

If we were keeping an eye on Tasmania Jackson Callow to maybe snap him up mid-season, then it looks like Patton's exploits at the Hawks might mean that isn't possible now:

1612672330197.png

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
If we were keeping an eye on Tasmania Jackson Callow to maybe snap him up mid-season, then it looks like Patton's exploits at the Hawks might mean that isn't possible now:

1612672330197.png

Good luck to the kid. Can take a serious grab.

Jul 26, 2007
The Tree
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Arsenal, Coney Island Warriors
Not sure if this is the right thread.
Does anyone know why Derek Egg Smith was cut by the tigers? And not picked up by anyone else? He looked handy in the games he played last year, particularly against us.
I'd have thought he'd be a decent get without giving much up.

Squad cuts were a killer. And that meant clubs weren't taking on other clubs rejects. It's crazy when you look at the amount of delistings league wide last year that only two players (Mason Wood and Jacob Townsend) were offered homes elsewhere (at this current moment).

Swallow_Wood

Premiership Player
Jun 11, 2015
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Squad cuts were a killer. And that meant clubs weren't taking on other clubs rejects. It's crazy when you look at the amount of delistings league wide last year that only two players (Mason Wood and Jacob Townsend) were offered homes elsewhere (at this current moment).
That is interesting!

There was a narrative that there would be the opportunity for recycled bargains galore but apparently clubs got their cuts right insofar as other clubs perceptions.

Jul 26, 2007
The Tree
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
That is interesting!

There was a narrative that there would be the opportunity for recycled bargains galore but apparently clubs got their cuts right insofar as other clubs perceptions.

Yeah, it looked like being a goldmine but it ended up being the great leveler in a way as every club was able to take a free hit on those that weren't going to make it. Of course that mindset would also affect the "shopping" too as this was really just a big list of deficient players (to a minor or maximum degree).

It'll be interesting to see how many with permission to train spots at the moment also get gigs. I'd imagine we'll give one of ours a spot.

Oct 9, 2003
Singapore / 30,000 feet
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Eagles (NFL), Suns (NBA)
McKernan was delisted by * and then picked up by Saints.

Sep 21, 2008
Vic
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Not sure if this is the right thread.
Does anyone know why Derek Egg Smith was cut by the tigers? And not picked up by anyone else? He looked handy in the games he played last year, particularly against us.
I'd have thought he'd be a decent get without giving much up.

he’s currently still training with Richmond. If listsizes hadn’t of decreased he would’ve still been on the list.

handy footballer especially by foot, but he isn’t real flash defensively

Jul 26, 2007
The Tree
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Did you guys notice 44 seconds in. Between Josh Walker & Shaun Atley. Is that Sam Skinner?

It is. Very sneaky. A lot of the group shots show nobody in between but we must have taken some shots with him (and perhaps Appleby) just in case.

Side question, is it just me or is he also wearing #50?

Further side question, that's your first post in 12 years. I think you might have known what you were scooping :D

NewNorth

Debutant
Sep 20, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Lots of chat about the bigger pay cut teams are having players take, ranging between the mandatory 3.5% to 7% I think

We aren't even mentioned in the articles, thus giving me the conclusion that we do have a lot of cap space, like more than any other club. Its important to show that we are on the up this year (not finals, but we trending upwards) because I think we can be big players in FA market and trade space.

I think we can go entice a player of need, who is in our age profile. We can make a splash in 2021 or 2022, really set us up into the future.

DrZaius

GENERATIONAL
Mar 28, 2016
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
norf
Lots of chat about the bigger pay cut teams are having players take, ranging between the mandatory 3.5% to 7% I think

We aren't even mentioned in the articles, thus giving me the conclusion that we do have a lot of cap space, like more than any other club. Its important to show that we are on the up this year (not finals, but we trending upwards) because I think we can be big players in FA market and trade space.

I think we can go entice a player of need, who is in our age profile. We can make a splash in 2021 or 2022, really set us up into the future.

We were at 104% of the cap last year. With the players we lost vs the ones we have brought in / re-signed our cap space is probably pretty balanced now, but I don't think we have a 'warchest' like in years gone by.

New_Roo

Premiership Player
Oct 7, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
We were at 104% of the cap last year. With the players we lost vs the ones we have brought in / re-signed our cap space is probably pretty balanced now, but I don't think we have a 'warchest' like in years gone by.

Not sure who it was that said it in an interview was either Clayton or luff but they basically said the contrary to that... said we have cleared a few big salaries ie fwd paid and are now set up to go big at at couple of targets next trade period....

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

DrZaius

GENERATIONAL
Mar 28, 2016
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
norf
Not sure who it was that said it in an interview was either Clayton or luff but they basically said the contrary to that... said we have cleared a few big salaries ie fwd paid and are now set up to go big at at couple of targets next trade period....

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Which is exactly what I said. Now we no longer need to worry about a big wage for BBB, no longer need to worry about Higgins, and delisted a whole bunch of players who were on more $ than they probably should've been (FWIW Dom Tyson & Aaron Hall also fall into this category, but as they are contracted we couldn't get rid of them).

That doesn't change the fact that we were at 104% of the cap last year due to overpaying players from when we DID have a warchest. The person that I heard this from is literally one of the people responsible for overseeing how the club operates so you'd think they would know what they are talking about.

Now that we no longer have Joyces running the show I fully expect all the contracts of players that have been signed recently are structured in a way that means we can take full advantage of trade period this year and over the years to come ie. responsibly.

But I just think that if we hear any 'North have made 'x' player an offer of $1m a year over 10 years' stories this trade period they should be taken with a very large grain of salt.

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 20, 2018
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Which is exactly what I said. Now we no longer need to worry about a big wage for BBB, no longer need to worry about Higgins, and delisted a whole bunch of players who were on more $ than they probably should've been (FWIW Dom Tyson & Aaron Hall also fall into this category, but as they are contracted we couldn't get rid of them).

That doesn't change the fact that we were at 104% of the cap last year due to overpaying players from when we DID have a warchest. The person that I heard this from is literally one of the people responsible for overseeing how the club operates so you'd think they would know what they are talking about.

Now that we no longer have Joyces running the show I fully expect all the contracts of players that have been signed recently are structured in a way that means we can take full advantage of trade period this year and over the years to come ie. responsibly.

But I just think that if we hear any 'North have made 'x' player an offer of $1m a year over 10 years' stories this trade period they should be taken with a very large grain of salt.

I think that when the big names didn't take the war chest bait a lot of existing players then got their payments bought forward. There was a degree of deliberateness in being at 104% last year to open up more for future years. So it isn't just players leaving, although taking BBB, Higgo, JMAc, and Wood out helps, it is also about Polec dropping back by a couple of hundred.

I think guys like Corr and Stepho will probably have an element of front loading for this year and someone like Jed on a new deal could too. With so many players still on their first or second contracts, I am sure we are comfortable.

DrZaius

GENERATIONAL
Mar 28, 2016
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
norf
I think that when the big names didn't take the war chest bait a lot of existing players then got their payments bought forward. There was a degree of deliberateness in being at 104% last year to open up more for future years. So it isn't just players leaving, although taking BBB, Higgo, JMAc, and Wood out helps, it is also about Polec dropping back by a couple of hundred.

I think guys like Corr and Stepho will probably have an element of front loading for this year and someone like Jed on a new deal could too. With so many players still on their first or second contracts, I am sure we are comfortable.

Yep, it's slightly less relevant to future trade periods as there could be a whole bunch of ways we've re-structured our cap payments (I'm not an accountant) and especially with the list turnover we've had, though I'd hesitate to say it's all completely fixed after a single offseason. Make no mistake, there was definite annoyance and frustration about the position we were put in with our cap.

But for those that were lamenting why we weren't going for a Jeremy Cameron type or throwing more money at Zac Williams last year, that was the reason why.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back