Opinion Who is your club's best defender of the 21st century?

Nov 26, 2012
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Let's rank the top 18 defenders of the 21st Century (so far):

1. Scarlett
2. Rance
3. Fletcher
4. McLeod
5. Lake
6. Gibson
7. Leppitsch
8. McGovern
9. Fisher
10. McPharlin
11. Clement
12. Bolton
13. Davis
14. Tarrant
15. Frawley
16. Wakelin
17. Simpson
18. May
Was going to suggest that Chris Johnson would be around the teens for me and then I realised that you had no Enright. Think he might be worth a spot

Was going to suggest that Chris Johnson would be around the teens for me and then I realised that you had no Enright. Think he might be worth a spot
Can only have one defender from each team

kid_a

Club Legend
Apr 5, 2010
Perf
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Hammarby IF, East Freo, Glory
1. Darren Glass
2. Jeremy McGovern
3. Brad Sheppard
4. David Wirrpanda
5. Shannon Hurn

Mr.X

Premiership Player
Apr 27, 2007
AFL Club
Carlton
images

Oct 2, 2008
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Brothers of Destruction
Id say Justin Leppitsch for Brisbane

He developed Rance, Grimes and Astbury and has netted 6 premierships in the process.

Above Scarlett and Rance good old Leppa, great forward too

He developed Rance, Grimes and Astbury and has netted 6 premierships in the process.

Leppitsch above Scarlett? LOL

Jun 19, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Will be interesting to see how the likes of Harris Andrews and McGovern rate at the end of their careers.

Oct 2, 2008
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Brothers of Destruction
Leppitsch above Scarlett? LOL
Sorry to ruin your Scarlett fap party

Ovverrated. Sos was better and so was lep

Funny how Geelong have all the 'greatest' players - Ablett's, Scarlett, Dangerfield etc yet a measly 9 premierships at the highest level. Continue having the best players whilst the actual premiership winners have the best teams.

Three premierships in 58 years and these guys think they can do no wrong 😂 spare us

Aug 13, 2018
South Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Leppich over Johnson makes sense for us. But Harris Andrews looks to be on the trajectory to over take them sooner than later

Feel like Chris Johnson is under-rated overall.
Jeez he was good. Loved watching him.
When he was younger he got wrongly labelled as "flashy talent" but that wasn't fair as he ended up a super consistent and solid gun. Absolute gun.
Better player than Leppa all round.
Leppa would probably agree.

Last edited:
Sorry to ruin your Scarlett fap party

Ovverrated. Sos was better and so was lep
We are talking 21st Century.

“Single-handedly changed how a full-back played the game. Scarlett would beat his man and then be involved in attacking surges, a cornerstone to the Cats' triple premiership success. A six-time All-Australian, Scarlett was rated by Matthew Lloyd as his toughest opponent. Not bad kudos.”

Tell me what made Leppitsch a better defender than Scarlett?

Oct 2, 2008
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Brothers of Destruction
We are talking 21st Century.

“Single-handedly changed how a full-back played the game. Scarlett would beat his man and then be involved in attacking surges, a cornerstone to the Cats' triple premiership success. A six-time All-Australian, Scarlett was rated by Matthew Lloyd as his toughest opponent. Not bad kudos.”

Tell me what made Leppitsch a better defender than Scarlett?
Was the cornerstone of a triple premiership winning defence, moved onto coaching where he developed another triple premiership winning defence - could play forward.

I am entitled to my opinion, im sorry one human doesn't agree that Scarlett is the greatest of all time in the history of everything. Without Leppa, no Rance and arguably no Grimes aswell for Richmond. I rate players not just on their games, on their overall contribution. Richmond's defence doesn't exist with Justin Leppitsch.

You know - that defence that kept Geelong (50), Port (46), St Kilda (49) and Brisbane (69) in the most recent finals series, stopping your side from winning 3 premierships and keeping them to one goal by 3QT in their last H & A meeting.

Thats Justin Leppitsch, very underrated all round.

Catsnlakers

Even Hank Moody is in awe of Geelong!
Oct 2, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
L.A Angels, Anaheim Ducks & M.Stars

Your football knowledge knows no bounds by the look of it. 😂.....Leppitsch was a very good solid defender ( like Mal Michael) in a champion side......But Scarlett & Rance are champion players in their own right, 6 All Australian’s for Scarlett & 5 for Rance are evidence of this.....And on your posting about Leppa’s coaching, first of all it’s got SFA to do with the thread title, & second if you mention him as an assistant why are you not mentioning his deplorable record as a senior coach??

BronCrow

Club Legend
Sep 20, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool FC
1. Darren Glass
2. Jeremy McGovern
3. Brad Sheppard
4. David Wirrpanda
5. Shannon Hurn

Did you consider Jakovich or McIntosh?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Luke Mcpharlin comfortably best defender ive seen.

He was better than Rance and Scarlett comfortably at his peak.

BronCrow

Club Legend
Sep 20, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool FC
Luke Mcpharlin comfortably best defender ive seen.

He was better than Rance and Scarlett comfortably at his peak.

Are trying to be controversial?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Oct 2, 2008
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Brothers of Destruction
Your football knowledge knows no bounds by the look of it. 😂.....Leppitsch was a very good solid defender ( like Mal Michael) in a champion side......But Scarlett & Rance are champion players in their own right, 6 All Australian’s for Scarlett & 5 for Rance are evidence of this.....And on your posting about Leppa’s coaching, first of all it’s got SFA to do with the thread title, & second if you mention him as an assistant why are you not mentioning his deplorable record as a senior coach??
😂😂 you are legit suffocating over there aren't you? I can't have an opinion lol

Back