Votes: 26 43.3%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

hamohawk1

Premiership Player
Feb 18, 2011
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Found a couple threads discussing Australia Day, but not one tailored on the issue of the date change.

Personally, seems logical and beneficial to change the date. It's sad the divisiveness this day creates, providing little opportunity to celebrate our nation as a country. It's not a perfect place, but i bloody love Australia, from the weather, people, open space, nature etc. Its a stunning place.

I do wonder how long it will take the issue to reach the tipping point of critical mass to changing the date. Seems very very close, and i dare say a few more big organisations, sporting bodies, and notable people jumping off 'Australia day' will assist in a date change in the next 2-3 years.

Jul 4, 2012
County Grant
AFL Club
Geelong
It's actually quite nice to see how Australia Day has evolved. Solemn dawn service acknowledging our history and recommit to improving our country. Then hopeful optimism as we perform citizenship ceremonies. Then the afternoon is for family/drinking/sport. Basically the formula for ANZAC Day.

All we need now is to move it to a floating Monday towards the end of January. I'm not too keen celebrating NSW, but a move to commemorate all bits of Australia would be welcomed.

Sep 13, 2015
Hillary Step
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
76ers
I think the date needs to change sooner rather than later - though from a purely selfish perspective it is a shame as the time of year it takes place is perfect for celebrating Australia. Late Summer, usually a hot day, people have been back at work for a couple of weeks, the extra day off is very nice. Personally I'm not even that bothered by the date but its obviously important to a sizeable chunk of society and I'm sick of the conversation every bloody year, I'd rather celebrate Australia Day on Australia Day than hear about protests..

The problem is there aren't many other alternatives. Most of these types of events still carry the same stigma to the indigenous community. Federation was on Jan 1, which is obviously already a public holiday and even if you said the 2nd as a replacement, since most people aren't at work at this point anyway it's a bit like just taking a holiday away.
May 8 is just a terrible idea - "Why is Australia Day on May 8" "Because if you say it it sounds kinda like a slang word not even exclusively used in Australia"
Anzac Day is its own thing and it's wrong to celebrate on it just as its wrong to indigenous people to celebrate on Australia Day.

Fortunately, the otherwise ****ed non-inclusion of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders in our constitution grants us an opportunity to create a new, genuine, culturally significant date worthy of celebration by all Australians.

Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong
Found a couple threads discussing Australia Day, but not one tailored on the issue of the date change.

Personally, seems logical and beneficial to change the date. It's sad the divisiveness this day creates, providing little opportunity to celebrate our nation as a country. It's not a perfect place, but i bloody love Australia, from the weather, people, open space, nature etc. Its a stunning place.

I do wonder how long it will take the issue to reach the tipping point of critical mass to changing the date. Seems very very close, and i dare say a few more big organisations, sporting bodies, and notable people jumping off 'Australia day' will assist in a date change in the next 2-3 years.
Only 30 percent want the date change. Its not even close.

like the say soory debate that went on for decades changing the date doesnt do anything for indiginous people. It just takes air space from real policy that could help. Im guessing the libs will try and ride this debate for decades so they dont have to focus on real policy.

Goroyals22

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 29, 2014
AFL Club
West Coast
IMG_4496.JPG

Well all these dates are taken so it cant be one of these

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Nov 8, 2000
South of the river
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Peel Thunder
Only 30 percent want the date change. Its not even close.

like the say soory debate that went on for decades changing the date doesnt do anything for indiginous people. It just takes air space from real policy that could help. Im guessing the libs will try and ride this debate for decades so they dont have to focus on real policy.

To be fair, I reckon most people that are against changing the date are more opposed to the slippery slope than any particular affinity with January 26.

Deep down we all know it's not going to change anything, nor going to make the "change the date" side happy. I was at the beach this morning and had to go about a km up the coast just to find a park. It was packed, and people are hardly there to celebrate a bunch of convicts arriving. If you prefer to go and protest on a day like today, then I reckon you're probably a pretty miserable person that has problems a lot bigger than what date Australia day is.

Pessimistic

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts HBF's Milk Crate - 70k Posts TheBrownDog
Sep 13, 2000
Melbourne cricket ground. Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Horks
Abolish queens birthday first
How come it gets a free pass when Aus day and Anzac day are so triggered? It would be the easiest to screp and asa birthday for a monarch which isnt actually her birthday, and is different in different states, its bit of a joke anyway

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

To be fair, I reckon most people that are against changing the date are more opposed to the slippery slope than any particular affinity with January 26.

Deep down we all know it's not going to change anything, nor going to make the "change the date" side happy. I was at the beach this morning and had to go about a km up the coast just to find a park. It was packed, and people are hardly there to celebrate a bunch of convicts arriving. If you prefer to go and protest on a day like today, then I reckon you're probably a pretty miserable person that has problems a lot bigger than what date Australia day is.

But surely its gonna be better for everyone who isn't indigenous if we just celebrate the birth of the country on any other day than the one a foreign occupying power landed here and founded a prison colony so people offshore could use the settlers as slave labour. (A colony that makes up less than half of the country as well. WTF!!??)

We won't be a truly independent nation till we address this. FFS we're still just a colony. We dig up our s**t or farm stuff and send it overseas for a pittance - like any other banana republic would and we destroyed all our other industries to facilitate this stupidity.

JFC Grow the * up people.

Typically the "side of politics" that benefits most from this state of affairs is the one that always frames the debate as only about invasion and blackfellas taking away your right to be white.

I guess if we are that stupid as a nation we deserve to be fleeced.

The date has to change for the simple fact it's the right thing to do. Indigenous Australians understandably feel hurt and alienated by us celebrating on Jan 26. Australia's history also goes back far beyond just 200 or so years.

Let's not get carried away with what this will achieve though in the big picture.

But surely its gonna be better for everyone who isn't indigenous if we just celebrate the birth of the country on any other day than the one a foreign occupying power landed here and founded a prison colony so people offshore could use the settlers as slave labour. (A colony that makes up less than half of the country as well. WTF!!??)

We won't be a truly independent nation till we address this. FFS we're still just a colony. We dig up our sh*t or farm stuff and send it overseas for a pittance - like any other banana republic would and we destroyed all our other industries to facilitate this stupidity.

JFC Grow the fu** up people.

Typically the "side of politics" that benefits most from this state of affairs is the one that always frames the debate as only about invasion and blackfellas taking away your right to be white.

we are a immature nation. Where people think it’s more important to celebrate the landing of some foreigners on this soil.

a true Australian, would want a date significant to Australia . And at the moment, that’s March 3

CheapCharlie

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 12, 2015
AFL Club
Sydney
How many people celebrate Australia day anyway?
Its all a bit cringeworthy
Change the date by all means, and make it inclusive of past, present and future citizens. Low key is best

Aug 12, 2012
sv_cheats 1
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Edmonton Oilers
Ignoring all political and identity-based arguments entirely, Jan 26 is potentially the dumbest day you could pick to celebrate Australia Day. It's a day that effectively recognises the opposite to Australia, i.e. what the holiday is supposed to be about. Not sure which bright spark came up with this date when they were considering when to make the holiday, but they shat the bed on this one.

When you throw in all the other considerations, it's a no-brainer too. Change it. Make it something that represents the actual nation of Australia being born.

And * your "but the weather" bullshit argument. What dumb thing for an adult to say lmao

Nov 8, 2000
South of the river
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Peel Thunder

Maybe, but i'm not making pro-Jan26 arguments. I'm just saying that it's about a lot more than Jan26, for both sides.

Better for everyone? I reckon we could move it to any other day and very very little will change for everyone. Might make you feel better maybe.

We won't be a truly independent nation till we address this. FFS we're still just a colony. We dig up our sh*t or farm stuff and send it overseas for a pittance - like any other banana republic would and we destroyed all our other industries to facilitate this stupidity.

JFC Grow the fu** up people.

Gee you've gone off on a tangent there (not really sure why).

But I will say we're bloody good at farming stuff and digging s**t up. We're pretty rubbish at making stuff, like cars or clothes. That's why we do more of the former and not much of the latter.

Goroyals22

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 29, 2014
AFL Club
West Coast
How many people celebrate Australia day anyway?
Its all a bit cringeworthy
Change the date by all means, and make it inclusive of past, present and future citizens. Low key is best

Id wager more people celebrate it than protest, virtue signal and hashtag rubbish about it thats for sure..

Cringeworthy maybe but each to their own..

Jul 3, 2009
tigerland
AFL Club
Richmond
Maybe, but i'm not making pro-Jan26 arguments. I'm just saying that it's about a lot more than Jan26, for both sides.

Better for everyone? I reckon we could move it to any other day and very very little will change for everyone. Might make you feel better maybe.

Gee you've gone off on a tangent there (not really sure why).

But I will say we're bloody good at farming stuff and digging sh*t up. We're pretty rubbish at making stuff, like cars or clothes. That's why we do more of the former and not much of the latter.

Changing the date will have no effect on non indigenous people in Australia. It is not magically going to improve the lives of Indigenous Australians either, but it is a step in the right direction. Future generations will not be born into a country that celebrates the beginning of the destruction of their culture and the murder of their ancestors. That is something.

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
Just get rid of "Australia Day" altogether, I've never seen any meaning/significance in it at all, just another holiday ah la the Queens Birthday.

I see Anzac Day as a day of national importance re commemoration full of many emotions, if you have been to a dawn service you will know what I mean.

CheapCharlie

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 12, 2015
AFL Club
Sydney
Id wager more people celebrate it than protest, virtue signal and hashtag rubbish about it thats for sure..

Cringeworthy maybe but each to their own..

But do more people neither celebrate or protest, rather just treat the day with a degree of apathy?

Nov 8, 2000
South of the river
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Peel Thunder
Changing the date will have no effect on non indigenous people in Australia. It is not magically going to improve the lives of Indigenous Australians either, but it is a step in the right direction. Future generations will not be born into a country that celebrates the beginning of the destruction of their culture and the murder of their ancestors. That is something.

I agree with your first sentence, but I have to say you must hang out with a different crowd to me. I've never ever seen anyone celebrate what you're suggesting.
Where have you seen it?

Back