The 2021 Gin and other random beverage discussion thread

Dec 4, 2014
Top End of Aussie
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood
I found when in Bali that too much Duty Free Gin in a glass has detrimental effects
BECAA14C-58CF-45B0-AB86-9814E9A74045.jpeg

Dec 18, 2007
Arcadia
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Redbacks
Potentially, though the Kings Head have just reopened. Went out of business during Covid last year. Since they reopened and renovated the place I believe the bottle shop there no longer exists. Had been made in to a cafe.

Sorry, I was a little confused when you said The Ed, I got you now, you're talking about the one in Mitcham.

hey shorty

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
Ah, Extra Drys and Northerns are fine on a hot afternoon. You can smash fifteen of them and not feel it - there's a place for that sometimes.
Nah I can't even do that, they're beers for the biggest of bogans or underage drinkers.

Aug 7, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
Pale and Sparkling are pretty much always my go to beers .. drank Pale for years though now I find Sparkling my preference
Had to turn away from all Coopers beers after reading all(?) their beers are bottle/can conditioned so have yeast which isn't good for anyone prone to gout.

Did a taste test last Christmas for can beers that are reasonably priced (under $70 a carton) for an away trip and settled on the following very tasty beers:
Vale IPA - heavier for quick get drunk
Atomic PA - more sessionable beer
Big Drop Pine Trail PA - for when you have to drive or sober up (0.5% alc/vol)

Jarman3

Premiership Player
Oct 22, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
Had to turn away from all Coopers beers after reading all(?) their beers are bottle/can conditioned so have yeast which isn't good for anyone prone to gout.

Did a taste test last Christmas for can beers that are reasonably priced (under $70 a carton) for an away trip and settled on the following very tasty beers:
Vale IPA - heavier for quick get drunk
Atomic PA - more sessionable beer
Big Drop Pine Trail PA - for when you have to drive or sober up (0.5% alc/vol)

Speaking of Vale, I grabbed a couple of their Tropic Ale from the Dan Murphy's mix n match section back around xmas to give it a try. I was pleasantly surprised - a really nice, light, refreshing sort of beer. Great for the hot weather - have bought some more since, although I'll shift to something heavier once the cold weather returns.

Although when did Vale start making everything in cans? Had been a while since I bought any of their stuff, and last time I did it was in bottles which I prefer. But they don't seem to make anything bottled anymore?

Also really like the Hitachino Nest Red Rice Ale. Had it at a couple of Japanese restaurants about the place. Can't get it at Dan Murphy's etc, but I did end up getting a case (at great, probably excessive, expense) from Old Richmond Cellars in Melbourne who have been a good source for Japanese beer (I've also ordered Suntory Premium Malts and Echigo Koshihikkari rice lager from them at various stages). These aren't the kind of things I buy regularly simply because of the expense, but a good option when I occasionally feel like indulging. I certainly won't be travelling to Japan again any time soon, so might as well funnel some of those savings into Japanese beer :p

Nah I can't even do that, they're beers for the biggest of bogans or underage drinkers.

I had my first Northern on Saturday.

It does an ok job when its >35 degrees and any decent beer will do an absolute number to you. There are certainly better options though, I.e. Pirate Lifes South Pacific ale, Sweet Amber's Session Ale etc.

Aug 7, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
Speaking of Vale, I grabbed a couple of their Tropic Ale from the Dan Murphy's mix n match section back around xmas to give it a try. I was pleasantly surprised - a really nice, light, refreshing sort of beer. Great for the hot weather - have bought some more since, although I'll shift to something heavier once the cold weather returns.
I did try the Tropic Ale and thought it was good but the Atomic PA beat it for the sessionable option.

Although when did Vale start making everything in cans? Had been a while since I bought any of their stuff, and last time I did it was in bottles which I prefer. ...
Cans are handy when you're away from home though. Had to crush about 300 beer/soft drink cans and all fitted into a bout 3 beer cartons - same number of bottles would have been a nightmare to deal with.

May 29, 2011
SA
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt
I've heard Gout is incredibly painful. Check out this artists depiction of gout from 1799. Looks like Venom from Spiderman eating some poor bastard's foot.

n5140002-400px-wm.jpg

Last edited:

hey shorty

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
I had my first Northern on Saturday.

It does an ok job when its >35 degrees and any decent beer will do an absolute number to you. There are certainly better options though, I.e. Pirate Lifes South Pacific ale, Sweet Amber's Session Ale etc.
I do like the South Pacific

Jarman3

Premiership Player
Oct 22, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
I've heard Gout is incredibly painful. Check out this artists depiction of gout from 1799. Looks like Venom from Spiderman eating some poor bastard's foot.

I had it once, maybe 5 or 6 years ago. It never happened again after that so I'm hoping it was just a one off, maybe a reaction to something I ate, I don't know. Whatever the cause, it was excruciating. I was laying on the bed and couldn't even have a sheet draped over my foot because just the weight of that was causing me agony.

cm_perfect

Premiership Player
Dec 7, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
I had it once, maybe 5 or 6 years ago. It never happened again after that so I'm hoping it was just a one off, maybe a reaction to something I ate, I don't know. Whatever the cause, it was excruciating. I was laying on the bed and couldn't even have a sheet draped over my foot because just the weight of that was causing me agony.

Yeah, I have had it twice and it is nasty!!

Mine were after 4 day benders though so I stop at 3 now

Aug 31, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
I don’t admit to any problems in my house, I have found some of my wife’s Chinese remedies are far worse than the problem

Aug 7, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
This is probably true technically but (outside of genetic causes), gout is due to eating foods rich in purines (yeast, anchovies, ...) regularly over a long period of time and/or having a bad habit of not drinking enough water.

Jarman3

Premiership Player
Oct 22, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
This is probably true technically but (outside of genetic causes), gout is due to eating foods rich in purines (yeast, anchovies, ...) regularly over a long period of time and/or having a bad habit of not drinking enough water.

Yeah, but that's the weird thing - I don't really have any of those lifestyle indicators that would suggest a likelihood of gout. I read that it can be brought about by basically an allergic reaction to something. I had eaten goat's cheese (which I don't usually eat) at a birthday party a couple of days earlier, so I do wonder if it might have been that. I guess the simple test would be to eat it again and see if the gout flares up again, but it's just not worth the risk :p. I just resolved to never eat goat cheese again for the rest of my life, just in case :p

Aug 7, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
Yeah, but that's the weird thing - I don't really have any of those lifestyle indicators that would suggest a likelihood of gout. I read that it can be brought about by basically an allergic reaction to something. I had eaten goat's cheese (which I don't usually eat) at a birthday party a couple of days earlier, so I do wonder if it might have been that. I guess the simple test would be to eat it again and see if the gout flares up again, but it's just not worth the risk :p. I just resolved to never eat goat cheese again for the rest of my life, just in case :p
I can't stand goats cheese - too gamey for me :sickv1:

I hadn't heard of gout being caused by an (relatively fast acting) allergic reaction before - maybe it's something else that has the same end effects as gout. Gout usually takes a while to develop..

Excess blood uric acid can induce gout, a painful condition resulting from needle-like crystals of uric acid precipitating in joints, capillaries, skin, and other tissues. ... purines are metabolized into uric acid which is then excreted in the urine. Consumption of some types of purine-rich foods, particularly meat and seafood, increases gout risk. [wikipedia]

en-wikipedia-org-fluorescent_uric_acid-jpg.1046929

Back