Football Related Random Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Continued in Part 2

As an immigrant I have no particular connection to Jan 26th. Its a farcical date. Why would we celebrate Australia day on the day the first fleet founded the NSW colony? If you are a WA or SA resident its a completely arbitrary date to commemorate becoming Australia. The most sensible date to commemorate Australia day would be Jan 1st for when the federation was established. Jan 26th is really only NSW colony day.

I think we should change Jan 26th to Invasion Day as a public holiday to reflect on our Indigenous past and their loss. We should have the apology on Feb 13th commemorated as a public holiday as Sorry Day (or something) and have the weeks in between as a reflection time to review our Indigenous past and their experiences, celebrate Indigenous history in schools and focus on how we can bridge the gap between the two Australia's that continue to exist to this day (the fantastic Australia we all enjoy and the poor outcomes Indigenous people face).

Understandably, celebrating Australia day on Jan 1st is not what most people would want given the global popularity of celebrating New Years. I think the day I would pick to celebrate Australia would be 27th of May. The White Australia policy, its treatment of foreigners and its accounting of Indigenous folks as 'fauna' is a national embarrassment and highlights the disgusting past of Australia. Modern Australia is a reflection of the 1967 referendum to recognise Indigenous people. I think thats a great day to celebrate our nation and what it has become despite its horrific history.

Whether you have colonial roots, Indigenous heritage or came afterwards as a migrant, having extra holidays in summer and an extra holiday in autumn would be fantastic.

A day considered an indigenous day of mourning is NOT that day.
Since when, the BLM movement or social media?

I've known many indigenous people over the years and have been close to one all of my life and NOT once, up until the last 12 months has this 'invasion day' or 'mourning day' or whatever you want to call it ever been brought up until, like most things, enough people rallied the troops over social media to start shouting at the clouds and demanding things, including money.

Just for the record, I couldn't care less about "Australia Day", don't celebrate it like millions of others don't and generally, like any other public holiday, catch up on work, but this constant angst against white people who did nothing to them or their people is just absurd even though we love and respect indigenous people, their heritage, our land etc. But sure, hate on us anyway.

Already looking forward to the next "cause" the masses are going to get excited about so they can pointlessly get on their high horse and paint all over social media how in touch they are, which is not too dissimilar to any celebrity donating money for whatever the cause of the day is, because god knows you can't ever do anything without letting everyone know how good you are and how much you care, ignoring the fact, that they could be anonymous without the plaudits, which isn't quite the same is it? :rolleyes:

Just for the record, I couldn't care less about "Australia Day", don't celebrate it like millions of others don't and generally, like any other public holiday, catch up on work.

So it wasn't you driving a white VN commodore, with Australian flags sticking out the windows, with the southern cross and 'SUCH IS LIFE' stickers on the back windscreen that flew past me today down beach road......

No-one has ever really explained adequately to me why the date Jan 26 holds such significance for them as an Australian. It seems like, for most people, it is just a date that they enjoy having off and celebrating what it is to be an Australian. I mean, I don’t see any commemorative services paying tribute to the first fleet or anything like that so I kinda think that the date itself doesn’t hold meaning.

Except, for a proportion of the population, it does mean something. It is associated with loss, abuse and pain.

So if the actual date doesn’t hold meaning for most people and holds a negative meaning for others, it just seems to me to be a no brainer to change the date.

The people who don’t want it changed seem to be more opposed to the reason for change than anything else. That seems like a child not sharing a toy that they don’t want to play with anymore, just to deny another kid. It feels mean-spirited, churlish and kinda dumb, to be quite honest.

I used to try and work out a more meaningful date that doesn’t cause pain or create division. Now I think that it doesn’t matter what the date is, just that we have a day when we celebrate what unites us as a nation.

So my vote is this - completely randomly, the first Monday of February every year should be Australia Day. It creates a guaranteed long weekend which is great for tourism and for people to get away. It is still in summer. The date itself means nothing but they way we act and treat each other on that day is what will create the meaning.

I've known many indigenous people over the years and have been close to one all of my life and NOT once, up until the last 12 months has this 'invasion day' or 'mourning day' or whatever you want to call it ever been brought up until, like most things, enough people rallied the troops over social media to start shouting at the clouds and demanding things, including money.

So we should live our life stuck in mediocrity not caring to better and help each other? Rather, we should strive to find those so called 'causes', if only to make them a point of discussion if not to enact widespread changes.

Australia Day means nothing at all. Discovery? Hardly. A day to get drunk more like it. But it has some very real connotations to some of our fellow Australians. But oh they should shut up about all that, it was 100 years ago or so... yeh.:think:

and just a side-note. Social media grandstanding for charitable donations by celebrities have just about no negative factors, and hopefully can shine a light on causes other people can donate to too. (and any negative aspect of this is all in the eye of whiners who complain of "social justice")..god its just stupid. working yourself up into a state over nothing.

Great to see the Lions boys out there at the protest too

Just for the record, I couldn't care less about "Australia Day", don't celebrate it like millions of others don't and generally, like any other public holiday, catch up on work, but this constant angst against white people who did nothing to them or their people is just absurd even though we love and respect indigenous people, their heritage, our land etc. But sure, hate on us anyway.

Already looking forward to the next "cause" the masses are going to get excited about so they can pointlessly get on their high horse and paint all over social media how in touch they are, which is not too dissimilar to any celebrity donating money for whatever the cause of the day is, because god knows you can't ever do anything without letting everyone know how good you are and how much you care, ignoring the fact, that they could be anonymous without the plaudits, which isn't quite the same is it? :rolleyes:

I was a bit ignorant of this too, apparently it has been a thing since at least 1938.

Great to see the Lions boys out there at the protest too
Out of curiosity, why hasn't the club or anyone else for that matter, protested about this say 4, 9, 13, 18 years ago or any other arbitrary year up until now? Seems pretty convenient and very rich if you ask me that a lot of people and organisations are only doing so because it is politically correct to do so or align to such a cause as a supposed "good corporate citizen"?

I would actually have some respect for anyone, including the Lions if they'd been passionate about this cause before it was "cool" to do so, but I have zero empathy or respect for anyone getting in on the bandwagon because it is convenient to do so as is the case in these modern times when it can be publicised or tweeted or whatever else and have even less interest in wanting a change

Hell, I reckon there would be plenty like me that wouldn't give two craps whether there is even an "Australia Day" as it really is just an excuse for a lot of bogans to get pissed, fight and carry on and believe me, I saw a tonne of that when watching the fireworks in Perth from the comfort of restaurant's years ago, but the carry on all of a sudden is pretty embarrassing.

So it wasn't you driving a white VN commodore, with Australian flags sticking out the windows, with the southern cross and 'SUCH IS LIFE' stickers on the back windscreen that flew past me today down beach road......
I do love a good bogan in a Commodore for comedic value, but no, not me even if I was on Beach Road today.

Sorry but I think we're fundamentally looking at this differently.

Why with this obsession of figuring out if people want to score brownie points or look cool.

Who gives a flying *

The cause is good, the support is needed. Good lord the only people I wouldn't want at these marches are Hansen, Morrison or Dutton. Bring out the insta influencers, the yuppies who heard about it on facebook? who cares (not saying those people are there mind you, the large majority look like driven people actually fighting for that cause)

Additionally, protests for social causes don't just happen in a flash. Sometimes it takes time for people to be educated on the issues, a groundswell of support etc. This stuff wouldn't need to happen if it was rectified in the past. Maybe its 'popular' now, but also there is a lot more attention and support for it now. Popularity of social causes? sign me up.

Sorry but I think we're fundamentally looking at this differently.

Why with this obsession of figuring out if people want to score brownie points or look cool.

Who gives a flying fu**

The cause is good, the support is needed. Good lord the only people I wouldn't want at these marches are Hansen, Morrison or Dutton. Bring out the insta influencers, the yuppies who heard about it on facebook? who cares (not saying those people are there mind you, the large majority look like driven people actually fighting for that cause)

Additionally, protests for social causes don't just happen in a flash. Sometimes it takes time for people to be educated on the issues, a groundswell of support etc. This stuff wouldn't need to happen if it was rectified in the past. Maybe its 'popular' now, but also there is a lot more attention and support for it now. Popularity of social causes? sign me up.

:rolleyes:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was a bit ignorant of this too, apparently it has been a thing since at least 1938.

And it wasn't until 1994 that Australia Day was locked in to be on 26 January across the country. The ANZAC Day Pies/Dons game has a longer continuous history.

And maybe because we finally have a decent indigenous presence at the club and they are mates.
Plus the cause as a whole is gaining momentum.
Yep, more apologists to get on social media and ride the bandwagon. :rolleyes:

We also had a decent indigenous presence at the club when the likes of White, Headland, Johnson, Corrie etc. were at the club too and there was nothing, so why now in 2021? Oh that's right, because the cause is gaining momentum with a bunch of tree huggers, apologists, refugees and every other minority group in Australia.:rolleyes:

We also had a decent indigenous presence at the club when the likes of White, Headland, Johnson, Corrie etc. were at the club too and there was nothing, so why now in 2021? Oh that's right, because the cause is gaining momentum with a bunch of tree huggers, apologists, refugees and every other minority group in Australia.:rolleyes:
There's being a hipster, and then there's "once a movement or cause becomes popular it is no longer worthy of support and anyone involved now is just a poser" :moustache:

You're a sad, sad human being Dylan.

You're a sad, sad human being Dylan.
Sure am, but like many others with a similar view, will not be losing sleep over it either because of some arbitrary date really makes a huge difference. I dare say the majority of those protesting today will have forgotten what they were protesting about today or will give a crap about some arbitrary date in 4 months time, but hey, keep hating on those day who can see right through this BS argument that makes no difference to anyone in 2021.

There's no statute of limitations on doing what's right & morale. Things that we now just accept as normal were at one stage a landmark of human rights, Women's voting rights, abolition of slavery, indigenous people being allowed to vote.

In the years before these things became law, I'm sure there were people saying why now? Why weren't they complaining years ago.

I hesitate to say this but I've done a bit of work with indigenous groups in my declining years and none of them know what day Australia day is ,or seem to care in my experience. And that would go for most other Aussies as well . Just another political flashpoint that gives agitators and those who oppose them a chance to blow off hot air.

But yeah, change it . I don't think anyone has a problem with changing it , it's not as if the general community is invested in any particular date . Ask those who want to change it what date they want and make that Australia Day. And it'll be interesting to see if that actually becomes a 'uniting' force.

And it'll be interesting to see if that actually becomes a 'uniting' force.
I honestly couldn't care if the date is changed and I agree, I'd bet every cent that changing the date will not unite the country as if that is the magic panacea that changing the date will create.

Whilst you didn't say it, I also doubt anyone gives a crap other than families of recipients that win Australia Day awards either. On top of that, I think the continual rewarding of dinosaurs such as Margaret Court demonstrates how outdated a lot of these "awards" really are. Don't get me started either on the Victorian Government / Tennis Australia retaining her name as a venue in the Melbourne and Olympic Parks precinct.

Rants endlessly when we trade Witherden

Couldn’t give a s**t about a large group of people not wanting the whole country to commemorate a day which triggered a series of awful things happening to your people

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back