Player Watch #20 Sam Reid

Remove this Banner Ad

Sam_Reid_2017.6.jpg

Sam Reid

Sam Reid’s outstanding athleticism and strong contested grab make him a genuine threat inside 50. The 2012 premiership forward showed exactly that when he booted six goals in the Sydney Swans’ clash with Collingwood in Mark Grook at the SCG to win the 2019 Goodes-O’Loughlin Medal. The 2009 draftee can also play as a loose man in defence or pinch-hit in the ruck. Reid has had very little luck on the injury front in his time in red and white, but he didn’t miss an AFL match in 2019. He’s played 143 career games at the top level for a return of 154 goals.

Sam Reid
DOB: 27 December 1991
DEBUT: 2010
DRAFT: #38, 2009 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: Wangaratta Rovers (Vic)/Murray U18

9 yr deal to Reid please.
Have a feeling he'll play longer than Tom Brady.

Parker only one to worry about amd don’t be surprised if he goes home even though misses from up there
I'm confident with Parker staying a Swan for life.
He's 28 now so by year's end he'll be 29. He has played real hard footy that no other club would appreciate more than us so I can't see another club offering a 29 year old too much more than the Swans would be prepared to give him. For Parker it would be a case of better the devil you know.
But I guess one never knows if a team close to p'ship success throws ridiculous $$$$$$$ at him for 4 years. He certainly deserves another 3 year contract at the end of this one.

Parker's big chance to leave for massive money was his last deal. Could've signed long term at a club more in flag contention for big money but stayed on and is now captain. He also had to know when he was rumoured to be courting other clubs that the list wasn't going to be in flag contention over the course of the deal and still he stayed. Now that the list is starting to look like making a move up the ladder, I'd be stunned if he left now whilst being captain.

I hope that we sign Paddy into the East Coast team to give him a chance to prove himself and get match fit. There are plenty of chances to upgrade him if he performs well. If we don't we will be short handed once Reid is delisted or retires. These big guys mainly mature later. Assuming Tom stays at CHB we will only have McLean and McDonald. Not enough.
I would not read (pun intended) too much into it if we sign McCartin the elder.

Hayden McLean has got to be looking at taking Reid's role longer term, if he can get his tank up and become reliable at either end of the ground. Reid's versatility has been a strength. He doesn't stand out in any position but he's a good forward, good defender, good ruck and a good contested mark. Horse moves him around like a chess piece.

Hayden McLean has got to be looking at taking Reid's role longer term, if he can get his tank up and become reliable at either end of the ground. Reid's versatility has been a strength. He doesn't stand out in any position but he's a good forward, good defender, good ruck and a good contested mark. Horse moves him around like a chess piece.
100% true, but two KPF's (McDonald and McLean) are not enough. Need at least one more. McCartin has skills and the will. Costs us peanuts with zero downside.
He is a FF, McDonald and McLean can cover CHF and FF. We have supplementary marking power with Heeney, Blakey, Dawson and Hayward.

100% true, but two KPF's (McDonald and McLean) are not enough. Need at least one more. McCartin has skills and the will. Costs us peanuts with zero downside.
He is a FF, McDonald and McLean can cover CHF and FF. We have supplementary marking power with Heeney, Blakey, Dawson and Hayward.
I'd like to see us play with 2 rucks with games going back to normal lengths but also less interchanges so we'll need an extra big man for rotation and rests, we know Sinclair is a capable 3rd tall, so 2 KPF's and a 2 rucks that rotate as a 3 tall fwd option for me!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd like to see us play with 2 rucks with games going back to normal lengths but also less interchanges so we'll need an extra big man for rotation and rests, we know Sinclair is a capable 3rd tall, so 2 KPF's and a 2 rucks that rotate as a 3 tall fwd option for me!

McLean is built for that 2nd ruck / forward role. I have belief that he will develop into that prototypical ruck/fwd player and hopefully he'll play a key role for us for the next decade.

I always get a little edgy when I see this thread at the top. I'm always thinking he has injured one of those paper thin muscles of his
It's hardly remarkable. Lots of players are less durable than Sam Reid, who's played about 71% of possible games over his 11 years, with 3/4 of those missed in just two bad years. Talls aren't particularly robust and Sam plays a very physical game, including pinch hitting in the ruck. He takes and gives out a lot of big hits for the team. More remarkable are those few talls who manage to many more games.

With Buddy, Sinkers and Reid in their twilight years we probably need one more KPF, though Heeney, Blakey and Hayward are all good contested marks. Another option is to use two rucks with the resting ruck going forward.

Sam Reid is many things (see my signature)

But injury prone and KPF he is not.

It won't happen, but I'd like to see him given one proper go at being a permanent CHB.

Definitely not at the expense of McCartin, but it would free Rampe up and its not like Melican or Brand are walk up starts. And there are going to be injuries anyway, so there will be a spot available like there always is.

It would take a lot of the pressure off him and it seems pointless to me to go into another season hoping he is going to be a good KPF. This has been going on 10 years.

But he only just turned 29, he should be in his absolute prime.

It won't happen, but I'd like to see him given one proper go at being a permanent CHB.

Definitely not at the expense of McCartin, but it would free Rampe up and its not like Melican or Brand are walk up starts. And there are going to be injuries anyway, so there will be a spot available like there always is.

It would take a lot of the pressure off him and it seems pointless to me to go into another season hoping he is going to be a good KPF. This has been going on 10 years.

But he only just turned 29, he should be in his absolute prime.

100 percent spot on. It's not going to happen. That ship sailed at least 3-4 seasons ago. The thing I don't understand is why people think he will be a good KP Defender. He has played there as a loose man in red time periods of qtrs. Has he ever had to actually be a defender against a decent forward and had to defend ? If he has I was making a cup of tea at the time. The bloke is last week's pay. Gone.

With Buddy, Sinkers and Reid in their twilight years we probably need one more KPF,

Look I could not let this nonsense pass. Reid has played as if the last decade were his twilight years. Not once has he finished top 10 in the Club's B&F.

100 percent spot on. It's not going to happen. That ship sailed at least 3-4 seasons ago. The thing I don't understand is why people think he will be a good KP Defender. He has played there as a loose man in red time periods of qtrs. Has he ever had to actually be a defender against a decent forward and had to defend ? If he has I was making a cup of tea at the time. The bloke is last week's pay. Gone.

The problem is he is going to be in the team. As frustrating as he is, he is still in our best 22 going into the season imo.

He has never played more than a cameo role in defence as a loose man when we are under pressure. Although that is not a sustainable position, I think he has always looked good there.

His brother was an All Australian CHB and would have been considered a great player if not for his injuries.

I think rather than just watch his career peter out, he is worth trying in that position.

It is much much harder to play key forward than key back and I think he would benefit from having the pressure off him as a forward - plus the added benefit of freeing up Rampe to not have to play on the best key forwards.

He is only just 29, it is not like he is looking cooked physically.

The problem is he is going to be in the team. As frustrating as he is, he is still in our best 22 going into the season imo.

He has never played more than a cameo role in defence as a loose man when we are under pressure. Although that is not a sustainable position, I think he has always looked good there.

His brother was an All Australian CHB and would have been considered a great player if not for his injuries.

I think rather than just watch his career peter out, he is worth trying in that position.

It is much much harder to play key forward than key back and I think he would benefit from having the pressure off him as a forward - plus the added benefit of freeing up Rampe to not have to play on the best key forwards.

He is only just 29, it is not like he is looking cooked physically.

Don't disagree with any of this. The last line not so much. He struggles to bend imo which with history of so many soft tissue problems his lower back and or hips are giving him dramas. Only my opinion but he has that look.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back