Opinion Best ever Brisbane Lions side, you agree?

Remove this Banner Ad

At the risk of starting a shitfight, I have came up with a slightly different "Best team" albeit with a little cheating in the form of a 12 man bench.
Its actually quite a team to behold with 15 of the 30 playing for the Brisbane Lions

B:JohnsonAndrewsLeppitsch
HB:MurrayRoosRich
C:AkermanisBlackBunton
HF:QuinlanBrownWilson
F:RuthvenLynchOsborne
Foll:MartinVossNeale
Int: (From)ConlanHughsonKeatingLappin
McRaePertPowerR Merrett
MoriartyMurphySmallhornZorko

Roos, Bulldog, Wilson, Lynchy and Ozzie. 5 of my all time favourite Roy boys mate. I don’t know much about Hughson I must admit. What era is he from mate? If you have a couple of minutes, would love to hear a bit about him. Thanks for posting

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
I never saw Fred Hughson play either, I'm not that old! He was my grandfather's favorite so I have a little bias there. Named FB in the Team of the Century, Victorian captain, Captain coach of the 1944 premiership.

Jack Dyer was quoted as saying
"One of the great full-backs of the game was Fitzroy’s Fred Hughson and also one of the greatest men the game has seen. I doubt if he ever did a wrong thing on or off a football field. The first time I got to know him was in a match when I tried to reduce his playing capacity with a bit of hard football. When I hit him in the nose it started to bleed and his trainer came out with a towel.

They’re the greatest trouble-makers in the game, trainers. This one started swearing and abusing me as he applied the towel to Fred’s nose. Fred pushed the towel away and snapped at him, ‘Now cut that out, he’s only playing for his side.’ So for the first and only time I apologized for causing a football injury and I declare it is the only time I regretted having hit a player. We became solid friends and I never hit him again with anything but my shoulder."

Career cut down by injuries, but if I'm picking a team to win a game, I'm squeezing in Josh Drummond.

Can't have Stef as first ruck. Butch Gale was R/U in the b/f 7 times mainly because we had the best player in the game in our side. Also captained Victoria.

Also since he died of a heart attack when addressing the Fitzroy players prior to the first game in 1987 ,that has to go down as the most inspirational finish in football and give you legend status.

Norm Brown was probably a better player than Stef. Keating as well. Given though I do love Stef.

It must be a good side if you've got Haydyn Bunton on the wing. Won the Brownlow 3 times and R/U once in his 7 years at Fitzroy. Went to Perth for the money and won the Sandover in 3 of his 4 years there . Then joined the Army in 1942 which cut short his career.

So adjudged best player in the comp 6 out of the 11 years he played and a close runner up another time. And had a day job as well.

I don't think anyone could top that.

My dad told me legendary stories about Bunton. He half revolutionised the game by using a drop punt or rifling low spirals to pass to the forwards when all of the skillful players used the stab pass . There was a write up in the Sun and a lot of debate on radio that Bunton couldn't stab pass , but he came out the next week at the Lakeside Oval and hit nearly everyone with stab passes all day and never used it again.

He was way ahead of his time in the way he trained and played the game , spending most of his time on the ball when the rucks and rovers used to change twice a quarter rotating out of the forward and back pockets. Dad said he was like a rock star in the years following the Depression and people who didn't support the Lions used to go just to watch him play.

It's so hard to judge players of different eras but you can only play in the time you're given and I doubt there's anyone in football with an individual honor roll like him.

I never saw Fred Hughson play either, I'm not that old! He was my grandfather's favorite so I have a little bias there. Named FB in the Team of the Century, Victorian captain, Captain coach of the 1944 premiership.

Jack Dyer was quoted as saying
"One of the great full-backs of the game was Fitzroy’s Fred Hughson and also one of the greatest men the game has seen. I doubt if he ever did a wrong thing on or off a football field. The first time I got to know him was in a match when I tried to reduce his playing capacity with a bit of hard football. When I hit him in the nose it started to bleed and his trainer came out with a towel.

They’re the greatest trouble-makers in the game, trainers. This one started swearing and abusing me as he applied the towel to Fred’s nose. Fred pushed the towel away and snapped at him, ‘Now cut that out, he’s only playing for his side.’ So for the first and only time I apologized for causing a football injury and I declare it is the only time I regretted having hit a player. We became solid friends and I never hit him again with anything but my shoulder."

Ripper of a little story there. Thanks for sharing!

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Remove this Banner Ad

Back