Chunky09

Premiership Player
Jul 8, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
Jon O’Rourke
Tom Scully
Jon Patton

Has there been another team more royaly reamed by another club than we were by GWS..I thought us with hay and Thompson trades with north or pick 1 trade with dockers would be hard to beat but here we are...

Before our supporters try justifying “but we only traded a fourth rounder for Scully and Patton”... we are also paying them big $$$ to consistently do f*** all!

O’Rourke was also traded for pick 19!!
Carlton (cheers sos)

Jul 30, 2011
Right behind you
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Gunners & Steelers
Scully could have been anything had he a) not ended up in development hell at Melbourne, and b) had that horrific ankle injury. We will never know, but he certainly had the talent. All the best to him.
Balls. All he did was run run run. Got into afl and found out that the other guys there could run run run too.
Now I’m not going to dispute that Melbourne was a basket case at the time but he never did much that I saw to make him a stand out other than his 18 possession quarter against Footscray way back in 10 or maybe 11

Jul 30, 2011
Right behind you
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Gunners & Steelers
And imagine if Melbourne nabbed Dusty and Fyfe with picks 1 and 2, or, putting Fyfe aside and looking at the draft’s top 10 of that year, getting dusty and cunnington.
Dusty would be doing 25 to life and Fyfe would have taken up water polo. We killed every bit of talent that walked in the doors in those years

Balls. All he did was run run run. Got into afl and found out that the other guys there could run run run too.
Now I’m not going to dispute that Melbourne was a basket case at the time but he never did much that I saw to make him a stand out other than his 18 possession quarter against Footscray way back in 10 or maybe 11
What junk. He was one of, if not the best junior in the country and showed more than just glimpses of elite talent at AFL level. Melbourne just did everything they could to stall his development and the ankle injury finished it off.

Jul 30, 2011
Right behind you
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Gunners & Steelers
What junk. He was one of, if not the best junior in the country and showed more than just glimpses of elite talent at AFL level. Melbourne just did everything they could to stall his development and the ankle injury finished it off.
Double balls. Show me anything elite he ever did but run. He wasn’t a crap player but he was a million miles off being the number one pick you’d hope for

Aug 11, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Timberwolves, Crystal Palace

PetterdHoisted

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 27, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
I never saw that. Run of the mill in terms of kicking, general skills. Good runner, meh the rest.

Was baffled that Sheedy made him GWS' Ablett-esque white whale.

Jul 14, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea FC

Have a look at his junior highlights - he was always a general accumulator with a massive engine. Looked ultra cumbersome handballing (and in general play really), and didn't have the same natural ability as Martin and Trengove.

I can see why he went number one. He was a dominant junior midfielder and an absolute workhorse who was going to extract the most out of himself, but he was surprisingly limited as a footballer.

Jul 30, 2011
Right behind you
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Gunners & Steelers
I never saw that. Run of the mill in terms of kicking, general skills. Good runner, meh the rest.

Was baffled that Sheedy made him GWS' Ablett-esque white whale.
Sheedy was s**t off that we turned him down and gave Bails the coaching gig, so he targeted Scully. It wouldn’t have mattered who we picked. He was going to chase them.

Stung at the time but in hindsight we dodged a big bullet

Jul 14, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
Sheedy was sh*t off that we turned him down and gave Bails the coaching gig, so he targeted Scully. It wouldn’t have mattered who we picked. He was going to chase them.

Stung at the time but in hindsight we dodged a big bullet

Decent compromise in light of no senior players wanting to move up there. They got some good years out of Scully, and were unlucky not to win a flag during his prime, around 2016, but his form was never going to get close to matching the Giant's return on investment.

His signing was as much symbolic as it was a genuine hunt for an elite player.

Jul 30, 2011
Right behind you
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Gunners & Steelers
The hatred some Melbourne fans have for Scully all these years later is truly something i will never understand.
It didn’t help he lied to a dying man. But all that aside I would have taken the cash too. But you lot are doing the opposite in reverse- talking him up like he was a gun in the making. He was just a kid picked by a basket case and given the golden ticket he wasn’t worth. And now he’s gone. No biggie. GWS were the only losers here

Aug 9, 2017
Penguin
AFL Club
Tasmania
Other Teams
Hurricanes, Panthers
It didn’t help he lied to a dying man. But all that aside I would have taken the cash too. But you lot are doing the opposite in reverse- talking him up like he was a gun in the making. He was just a kid picked by a basket case and given the golden ticket he wasn’t worth. And now he’s gone. No biggie. GWS were the only losers here
Not sure it was a fair question to put in front of a very young kid personally. Should not have been put in a position where he had to lie.

I agree he never lived up to the number 1 pick or the contract, however he had a very respectable career.

187 games and at his best was a good (not great) wingmen. Seeing the hate he cops from a lot of Dees is crazy.

Jul 30, 2011
Right behind you
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Gunners & Steelers
Not sure it was a fair question to put in front of a very young kid personally. Should not have been put in a position where he had to lie.

I agree he never lived up to the number 1 pick or the contract, however he had a very respectable career.

187 games and at his best was a good (not great) wingmen. Seeing the hate he cops from a lot of Dees is crazy.
Man my uncle captained the club way back when. I’ve seen us train wreck many times. I know how the inner sanctum works (or mostly doesn’t). I am my clubs harshest critic.

But yes you are right. We put him in a s**t spot and I probably would have done what he did too, but don’t ever expect us to like him over it. Immature maybe but it should and could have been handled better from both sides.

But all that said I’m not buying the bullshit he was a gun and was unlucky. Trenners was a gun that was unlucky. Skulls was an elite runner without any other strings to the bow. No hate- that’s such a waste of time, just calling it as I see it

Back