Rumour Tom Scully retiring due to personal issue

Remove this Banner Ad

Man my uncle captained the club way back when. I’ve seen us train wreck many times. I know how the inner sanctum works (or mostly doesn’t). I am my clubs harshest critic.

But yes you are right. We put him in a sh*t spot and I probably would have done what he did too, but don’t ever expect us to like him over it. Immature maybe but it should and could have been handled better from both sides.

But all that said I’m not buying the bullshit he was a gun and was unlucky. Trenners was a gun that was unlucky. Skulls was an elite runner without any other strings to the bow. No hate- that’s such a waste of time, just calling it as I see it
Just as he was entering his prime, the ankle injury ruined him. He has been a gun player and should of made 2 AAs if the selections selected players true to their position and not inside mids that never played wing.

Attachments

• C59132B9-AC2F-4A7E-868B-CDC41AFD3709.png
    C59132B9-AC2F-4A7E-868B-CDC41AFD3709.png
    103.6 KB · Views: 268
  • 3C23F5AC-2A45-493E-924D-82FC4C962EC5.png
    3C23F5AC-2A45-493E-924D-82FC4C962EC5.png
    96.3 KB · Views: 268
Just as he was entering his prime, the ankle injury ruined him. He has been a gun player and should of made 2 AAs if the selections selected players true to their position and not inside mids that never played wing.
Balls again. Stats mean nothing and they arnt great stats anyway. You do realise that coaches let some opp players roam free because they aren’t damaging, yeah? He’s one. Useful, busy, accumulating but not someone that will take the game away from you. Solid seems a fair term. Certainly not a million dollar man or what you’d hope from a #1 pick

So many casuals in here lmao, bloke was ALL Australian caliber before he did his ankle injury. He was getting 25 touches a game and kicking 15 goals every season for the last 3-4 years before the career ending injury. He was just starting to enter his prime before the injury.
Just looked up his stats. Has not had a single season where he averaged 25 (well, he had one at 24.58), and only had 2 in his career averaging more than 23 (including the one at 24.58). He kicked 15 and 23 goals the 2 season before he broke his ankle. The 2 seasons before that he kicked 8 and 5.

So he had 1 very good season, and 1 good season. Rest average.

Haven’t read any posts in this thread other than opening post.

Is the rumour about Scully and The General true?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
It’s been debunked by quite a few posters

If your marriage is breaking down because your wife is in Sydney tending to a seriously ill parent and you’re in the twilight of your career in another city, surely you’d consider just hanging them up and getting your life back on track?

The Sam Mitchell* scenario. Contracts are not a problem.

* not suggesting Sams marriage was in trouble.

Man my uncle captained the club way back when. I’ve seen us train wreck many times. I know how the inner sanctum works (or mostly doesn’t). I am my clubs harshest critic.

But yes you are right. We put him in a sh*t spot and I probably would have done what he did too, but don’t ever expect us to like him over it. Immature maybe but it should and could have been handled better from both sides.

But all that said I’m not buying the bullshit he was a gun and was unlucky. Trenners was a gun that was unlucky. Skulls was an elite runner without any other strings to the bow. No hate- that’s such a waste of time, just calling it as I see it

I love the way we expect 20 year old kids to have the wisdom that generally only comes with age. I think back to when I was that age, and I was not very clever (still struggling). If you want to lay blame, its probably his old man who was of an age where he should have been able to assist Tom. Darcy Moore was on the same path but his dad, having been through it and learnt helped him through and he seems a lot happier now. Young men need role models.

Anyway, he is not the first player to make a bad call or handle something badly and he won't be the last.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Absolutely reinforces why blokes should take the money - especially when it’s a life changing amount

the Bloke now can make choices about what he wants to do for the next 60 years without worrying about money

Hmmm it's not like he was playing in the NFL. What would the total of all his contracts be worth? $7M maybe over 10 years? Minus tax off that and its hardly an amount where you never need to worry about having a steady stream of income for 60 years. Set up for a comfortable existence provided they can get a half decent job after it yes, but not rest on your laurels no chance of being strapped ever again kind of life.

Heart surgeons would make as much if not more than that per year, don't think many of them work for 10 years and then hang the boots up and live off what they have accumulated.

Hmmm it's not like he was playing in the NFL. What would the total of all his contracts be worth? $7M maybe over 10 years? Minus tax off that and its hardly an amount where you never need to worry about having a steady stream of income for 60 years. Set up for a comfortable existence provided they can get a half decent job after it yes, but not rest on your laurels no chance of being strapped ever again kind of life.

Heart surgeons would make as much if not more than that per year, don't think many of them work for 10 years and then hang the boots up and live off what they have accumulated.

Probably $7m net after tax I would think.

Assuming he was responsible and spends $100k a year.

That leaves him $6m saved

$2m into a property - leaving $4m

$4m would generate a lifetime income of ~$160k indexed.

So no - it isn't billionaires' row - but it's twice the median wage and leaves him in a position where that would see out his days without ever working again.

So no - it isn't billionaires' row - but it's twice the median wage and leaves him in a position where that would see out his days without ever working again.

Without having to work you’d take that in a heartbeat.

What junk. He was one of, if not the best junior in the country and showed more than just glimpses of elite talent at AFL level. Melbourne just did everything they could to stall his development and the ankle injury finished it off.

He is too small and has zero mongrel. Sure he is a nice player but so was Cale Morton. Why do Melbourne love skinny players so much?

Mate, the bloke's 29 yeah?
Even if he lobbed it in a TD now and left it for 12 months then kept rolling it, he'd only be earning around $15k interest per annum.
You can keep compounding that but I'd never suggest he wouldn't have to work again.
He wouldn't have to work HARD, but he'd still have to turn up for a few shifts a week for a few years

Hawthorn got fed up with him turning up to collect his wages dressed like this.It was funny the first time

s-l500.jpg

Patton is the one who will have really let the Hawks down. He was meant to be the big body to let Lewis develop, especially with Gunston out for 8 weeks. Now its OBrien and Lewis and maybe Nash. Not sure how many goals they kick.
Would you be more sure how many goals they kick if Patton was playing?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back