EPL Matchday 20

Remove this Banner Ad

Rule clarification. Is this inside the box because one foot is touching the line? Even though his hand touching the ball illegally is outside the box, along with most of his body?

FB_IMG_1611877067603.jpg

Rule clarification. Is this inside the box because one foot is touching the line? Even though his hand touching the ball illegally is outside the box, along with most of his body?

View attachment 1047576

But he's not touching the ball in that shot. He let it fall in to his chest when he was in the box.

But he's not touching the ball in that shot. He let it fall in to his chest when he was in the box.
Considering they spent next to no time watching the replay to see if he did touch the ball I assume this would count as in the box. Not a good angle to prove he touched it or not, just wanting to know if it would be counted as handball or not.

Considering they spent next to no time watching the replay to see if he did touch the ball I assume this would count as in the box. Not a good angle to prove he touched it or not, just wanting to know if it would be counted as handball or not.

I don't know for sure but I assume if he did touch the ball in that pic, then it would be handball. Don't think it matters if his foot is on the line.

Moot point anyway because he didn't touch the ball until his feet were in the box. If you watch it back you can see that he let the ball fall in to his chest when he was back in his box. That image is a second or so early.

That is like half a metre after it Dier's arm. You do know Firmino is out of form don't you

Was the right call to disallow the goal. It wasn't disallowed under the touch the arm rule though, that only applies for the player providing the assist to the goalscorer and the goalscorer which wasn't Firmino in this case (and it doesn't have to be deliberate) .

It was for a deliberate handball which can be penalised at any stage during the attacking phase.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

View attachment 1047576

On the line equals in the box, as we were told when Fab gave away a penalty against Sheffield.

The goal would have stood if the handball was inadvertent like Diers was.

But it wasn't and didn't. His arm was moving, as soon as we saw it where I was watching everyone thought it would be ruled out.

From what I understand the ball just has to be in the box. I've seen keepers come out slide into the ball, catch it and his legs and lower half of his body slide out of the box but as long as the ball is in it's fine.

Correct me if I'm wrong though as I'm not 100%

There was a time when Mourinho would use these tactics in big games and I would agree that despite conceding possession and territory, he was usually very much in control, only allowing his opponents to have the ball in non-threatening areas, with very few meaningful opportunities to score.

I don't think this has been the case recently (certainly in our last two games against Spurs).

Despite setting up defensively, Tottenham again allowed Liverpool to have an enormous amount of possession and shots on goal in threatening areas inside and around the penalty box.

This isn't the Mourinho of old. This isn't a side that is in control, strangling the life out of the opposition. He was effectively gambling on us not capitalising on those opportunities, and missing or shooting tamely straight at the goalkeeper (which admittedly we've done a lot recently), while relying on his players to not make any mistakes in defence and to be absurdly efficient with the few opportunities they had going the other way.

Against the better attacking sides it might pay off occasionally but I'd argue it's not sustainable in the long run.

Last edited:
There was a time when Mourinho would use these tactics in big games and I would agree that despite conceding possession and territory, he was usually very much in control, only allowing his opponents to have the ball in non-threatening areas, with very few meaningful opportunities to score.

I don't think this has been the case recently (certainly in our last two games against Spurs).

Despite setting up defensively, Tottenham again allowed Liverpool to have an enormous amount of possession and shots on goal in threatening areas inside and around the penalty box.

This isn't the Mourinho of old. This isn't a side that is in control, strangling the life out of the opposition. He was effectively gambling on us not capitalising on those opportunities, and missing or shooting tamely straight at the goalkeeper, (which admittedly we've done a lot recently), while relying on his players to not make any mistakes in defence and to be absurdly efficient with the few opportunities they had going the other way.

Against the better attacking sides it might pay off occasionally but I'd argue it's not sustainable in the long run.
There was a time that Mourinho on the sideline would be an intimidating sight. Those days are long gone - he will certainly be in management for a while yet but his days as a top tier manager are well and truly over.

This isn't the Mourinho of old. This isn't a side that is in control, strangling the life out of the opposition. He was effectively gambling on us not capitalising on those opportunities, and missing or shooting tamely straight at the goalkeeper, (which admittedly we've done a lot recently), while relying on his players to not make any mistakes in defence and to be absurdly efficient with the few opportunities they had going the other way.

After 19/20 games this season it would be interesting to see how our record against the big 6 plus Leicester has been compared to everyone else. Beaten arsenal, city and United. And drew with Chelsea. Lost twice to liverppol and once to Leicester. And in all 3 of the defeats idiotic defending in the last minute of halves goals cost us. Cattle letting him down more than him letting them down?

My gut feel having watched us regularly is it's dropping points in "easier" games that is our problem under Mourinho's tactics that is more of the problem.

On the line equals in the box, as we were told when Fab gave away a penalty against Sheffield.

VAR can't intervene anyway. There was no denial of a clear goalscoring opportunity as Son isn't within playing distance of the ball. Even if it was handled outside the box it would have been a yellow card.

In any case it is moot as the image doens't show when the ball was caught, it shows the second before.

From what I understand the ball just has to be in the box. I've seen keepers come out slide into the ball, catch it and his legs and lower half of his body slide out of the box but as long as the ball is in it's fine.

Correct me if I'm wrong though as I'm not 100%
Absolutely, its where the ball is that counts.

Liverpool looked really good I thought. Spurs may not have played their best, but Liverpool looked like they got some of that ruthlessness back into their game.
I think even West brom would manage to finish the chances that were left on a platter by spurs defenders out there. Could definitely play them back into form though

Remove this Banner Ad

Back