List Mgmt. Darren Glass set to quit as List Manager

Remove this Banner Ad

Assuming this isn’t a pisstake I’m a bit muddled by this - a water filtration company in Wangara doesn’t strike me as an organisation that’s paying big bucks. Seems an odd move that begs the question if there’s more to this although I have no idea what that might be

Assuming this isn’t a pisstake I’m a bit muddled by this - a water filtration company in Wangara doesn’t strike me as an organisation that’s paying big bucks. Seems an odd move that begs the question if there’s more to this although I have no idea what that might be

A typical General Manager role could be paying him anywhere from 200-300k+ a year. With all of the cuts to the soft cap that could be easily double what he's getting currently.

A typical General Manager role could be paying him anywhere from 200-300k+ a year. With all of the cuts to the soft cap that could be easily double what he's getting currently.

Listening to Craig Vozzo talk about it last night on 6PR, it really does sound like it’s money - he says that the AFL industry is really susceptible to the private sector atm

Simpson also made the comment earlier in the week along the same lines about the possibility of off field staff earning more in the private sector and with a better work/life balance

So I guess you’re right

Listening to Craig Vozzo talk about it last night on 6PR, it really does sound like it’s money - he says that the AFL industry is really susceptible to the private sector atm

Simpson also made the comment earlier in the week along the same lines about the possibility of off field staff earning more in the private sector and with a better work/life balance

So I guess you’re right
So the AFL types dont think they are in the private sector? talk about living in a bubble.

Even if a small company was paying that much for the GM role it's shocking that West Coast couldn't match that even if that meant going over the soft cap and paying a 100% penalty to keep Darren. Surely a few 100k shouldn't determine our list manager.

Even if a small company was paying that much for the GM role it's shocking that West Coast couldn't match that even if that meant going over the soft cap and paying a 100% penalty to keep Darren. Surely a few 100k shouldn't determine our list manager.
Don't worry, we'll pay 100K less, get someone who's inferior to do the job and just draft talls and half back flankers for the next 5 years. Who needs to draft midfielders anyway when we can just pay 2 years worth of draft picks to trade them in.

Where would that stop? Do we pay double for every position and then 100% tax? That would effectively mean we pay triple the soft cap - approx $30M In total. The club can't afford to pay $20M overs each year, it doesn't make that much profit!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't worry, we'll pay 100K less, get someone who's inferior to do the job and just draft talls and half back flankers for the next 5 years. Who needs to draft midfielders anyway when we can just pay 2 years worth of draft picks to trade them in.
The club has a list manager, recruiting manager and GM of football who all work together. Losing Glass sucks, but I'm sure they'll keep things together.

Well technically we are a not for profit sporting organisation so the club isn't apart of the private sector in regards to labour in the same way that the red cross etc aren't.
I didnt realise the eagles didnt make a profit and the AFL didnt charge customers or sell product in the open market. Where you set the profit target is irrlevant.
A senior AFL official put it clearly to me, in his words - 'we are in the entertainment buisiness'.

The club has a list manager, recruiting manager and GM of football who all work together. Losing Glass sucks, but I'm sure they'll keep things together.
Yep...that would be some of the same group of people who have struggled to draft a decent midfielder for the last 8 years or so.

Gotta be honest, this Glass thing doesnt add up.

I could understand if he left to take some plumb job at BHP or something but nope.

Yep...that would be some of the same group of people who have struggled to draft a decent midfielder for the last 8 years or so.
They have also drafted a raft of very promising young KPPs without using a single top 10 selection, which other teams have been screaming out for over the same period (Bulldogs, Freo, Collingwood etc). Managed to cobble together a premiership winning midfield at the same time.

Yes, we are lacking midfield depth, but teams rarely get everything correct. Would much rather be short on mids, given there are always plenty of trades available, than KPP which very rarely come on the market.

He has a young family, was going to the same school as my kids here in Melbourne. Had a couple of chats with him while we were waiting for them to be released at the end of the day, this was around the time he was at the Hawks and had just picked up the Eagles job.

I would not be surprised if work life balance was a factor in it. Maybe with the cuts there are more expections on staff and more hours needed?

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back