Society/Culture Toxicity of social media

The Passenger

The passenger, I am...
Veteran 10k Posts 30k Posts Sensible Type WCE Wings Guernsey
Mar 25, 2003
sounds like you’ve got it well under control.
Yeah, like I said I wasn't a massive junkie or anything. And I work in software dev, especially in web apps (corporate apps), so spending time on Facebook, Twitter etc was inevitable... And my social media time wasn't making me depressed, upset or angry, neglecting my girlfriend or anything like that. I just sorta hit the point where I was like "this is seriously just wasting my time". Deleting FB off my phone (Twitter and Reddit were already gone) and never looked back. Highly recommend it.

Eagle Wrath

Cancelled
Zombie Lover
Oct 22, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Do make the case that we need more prisons.

I mean, can we assume you’ve done the research, or is this all part of the RW hardarse act?
Lol. The other nob brought up prisons. Not me.
Some odd attempted diversion from the subject.

Eagle Wrath

Cancelled
Zombie Lover
Oct 22, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
So you were provoked into voluntarily offering that we need more prisons?

Those blasted lefties. Always a step ahead of the dull, plodding right wing dunderklumpens.
What makes u think im on the right lol. Beacause i celebrate Australia day with the rest of Australia.

Jul 5, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Kidding, right?
What makes u think im on the right lol. Beacause i celebrate Australia day with the rest of Australia.
Yes, I was using shorthand, because all of your posts suggest you are very much of the right.

Apologies, you are clearly a truly free thinker; it just somehow doesn't often make its way into your writings.

Eagle Wrath

Cancelled
Zombie Lover
Oct 22, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
All of which is a mere distraction from the fact that our friend Eagle Wrath made some RW tough guy comment about prisons which he/she doesn't want to own anymore.
Read the thread. Nobjocky asked if i celebrated opening prisons for some reason to derail the thread.

Knowing that it would annoy u if i said more the better.
What else u got?
Have u worked out yet that you are in a tiny minority.
We all enjoyed Australia day and the ones who were triggered can cry again next year.

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
I know you guys love your simplistic binaries, but the world is a little more nuanced than that.

And there we go again.

Next I'll be "of the right" so you can discredit me instead of acknowledging that calling someone 'left' or 'right' are both inane comments that avoid dealing with the content of anyone's posts. It's only relevant when they really are nut jobs beyond reason.

Read the thread. Nobjocky asked if i celebrated opening prisons for some reason to derail the thread.

What else u got?
We all enjoyed Australia day and the ones who were triggered can cry again next year.

my question was completely relevant

what happened on January 26, 1788?

nothing about the forming of Australia - zero. Australia wasnt even a topic for nearly 100 more years

what happened was a bunch of prison ships dumped their cargo and declared they would start the penal colony at New South Wales

it is literally the day an english prison opened operation

that has zero to do with the independent federation that is Australia. its only relevance is to the state of NSW - which is why January 26 was originally only a thing in NSW, as every other state celebrated the date its own status as a colony commenced

Jan 26 is a celebration of a prison opening, or a celebration that NSW started its thing. Its got nothing to do with the creation of Australia

Jul 5, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Kidding, right?

What else u got?
Yes, you were provoked into saying something to try to annoy someone you have decided is your opposite. Snowflake of the first order and none too bright.

Apr 23, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
You've clearly got too much time on your hands.

But seeing as you have so much of it to spare, how about applying the same rigorous standards to old mate's chauvinistic simplicities about Australia Day and law and order? That's where all this started.

Took about 30 seconds seeing as they were all posts on this page of the thread.

I don't recall that i'm required to discuss topics you personally ask me to, simply enjoyed the irony of your commentary.

Jul 5, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Kidding, right?
Took about 30 seconds seeing as they were all posts on this page of the thread.

I don't recall that i'm required to discuss topics you personally ask me to, simply enjoyed the irony of your commentary.
No, of course not. Everything should be approached with grace and dignity, two things sorely lacking on social media.

When the other poster wishes to elaborate and explain how I've got it all wrong, how they weren't expressing a dopey kneejerk position on Australia Day, I'm happy to engage commensurately, but right now, you'd have to conclude he/she is just sore because someone pulled them up on it.

Apr 23, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
No, of course not. Everything should be approached with grace and dignity, two things sorely lacking on social media.

When the other poster wishes to elaborate and explain how I've got it all wrong, how they weren't expressing a dopey kneejerk position on Australia Day, I'm happy to engage commensurately, but right now, you'd have to conclude he/she is just sore because someone pulled them up on it.

I was just amused by the typical leap to call someone RW / LW (whatever the opposite of the poster thinks they are themselves) when they post something you dislike. The commentary following it only made it more amusing.

Jul 5, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Kidding, right?
I was just amused by the typical leap to call someone RW / LW (whatever the opposite of the poster thinks they are themselves) when they post something you dislike. The commentary following it only made it more amusing.
Glad it amused to you. But although one's position on Australia Day is not entirely a left/right thing, you'd be a fool to claim it doesn't almost invariably fall along those lines. Come on!

I suspect if you want to pick a kneejerk division, there are far better examples.

Back