Politics Centrelink

Futurists reckon that AI will take a majority of the jobs by 2040 in the US (some think 2030).

Australia will hold out for as long as it can, because the population is inherently cautious and conservative, plus we've never really been ones to lead the line in terms of innovation, but given how fast-paced the world has become I expect the same thing to happen here by 2050.

It's difficult for me to tell how competent the government of the day will be - given current trends, my guess is not competent enough to avert a major short-to-medium term crisis, but probably just about competent enough to implement some sort of half-baked scheme that will do just enough to stop the country from transforming into a glorified Brazil, if not the US. Australians are (luckily) not as violent or radicalised as Americans are (and will be even more in the future), so the population will largely muddle on through.
I think we're all the same humans, so the same conditions elsewhere would bring about the same or similar result here.

Aug 18, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Had a phone appointment with my corrections officer this morning (sorry, JSP consultant).

She literally pointed out that if I was serious about a job there were many vacancies in rural abbatoirs and in horticultural harvesting.

Not sure if srs, reading from a script, or just pulling my leg.
Just spoke with a chef at a restaurant, he can't get someone to work for him as a waiter - they all just want jobseeker. People don't turn up for interview and one guy he just hired today and then an hour later called up saying he can't work fri-sun nights......

He reckons restaurants/hospitality are crying out for workers.......

Sent from my CPH1879 using Tapatalk

Rotayjay

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 28, 2014
Adelaide, South Australia
AFL Club
Adelaide
Had a phone appointment with my corrections officer this morning (sorry, JSP consultant).

She literally pointed out that if I was serious about a job there were many vacancies in rural abbatoirs and in horticultural harvesting.

Not sure if srs, reading from a script, or just pulling my leg.
All of the above. They meet their KPIs and get paid by the Department of Employment by 'placing' as many people as possible in jobs, whether they are full time, casual or temporary. According to ABC News, before the pandemic struck those places got about half their revenue from the initial sign-up fees and half from placing people in jobs.

The perfect client for them is one who signs up, gets a job, keeps it for one year so they get the 'kept job' bonus, and then loses the job and signs up with that provider again.

Dec 18, 2007
Counting premiership cups
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Non that play Essendon
Just spoke with a chef at a restaurant, he can't get someone to work for him as a waiter - they all just want jobseeker. People don't turn up for interview and one guy he just hired today and then an hour later called up saying he can't work fri-sun nights......

I call bull s**t on these stories because the workforce participation rate has remained flat.

If these issues are real then the government would tie the higher welfare payments to turning up to work.

Sep 17, 2019
AFL Club
Richmond

Chef needs to offer better money and/or conditions.

Rotayjay

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 28, 2014
Adelaide, South Australia
AFL Club
Adelaide
If the work is stressful and crappy, and the pay is low or illegal, then people won't do it. That's the beloved free market doing its work.

Newsflash: there will always be bludgers. Expecting people to survive on $350 per week (including Rent Assistance) is not the answer to bludgers, it is divisive and inhumane.

So sick of these people whingeing about how hard they work and how the dole is too comfortable. Try it you idiots. I've been there and it is not pleasant.

Aug 18, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
If the work is stressful and crappy, and the pay is low or illegal, then people won't do it. That's the beloved free market doing its work.

Newsflash: there will always be bludgers. Expecting people to survive on $350 per week (including Rent Assistance) is not the answer to bludgers, it is divisive and inhumane.

So sick of these people whingeing about how hard they work and how the dole is too comfortable. Try it you idiots. I've been there and it is not pleasant.
It's not meant to be pleasant.....

emoji1751.png

Raise wages? Raise prices to compensate?

Aug 18, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Raise wages? Raise prices to compensate?
He just reckons those who would normally be waiters were out of a job (casuals I presume), now get as much on jobseeker or there abouts as they probably would for a normal week so aren't interested in working. Could probably earn a bit more if they worked bit not worth the hours involved for a little bit more income.

Reckons normally puts an ad out for a job he gets 300 replies/enquiries, now gets 20 or 30

He just reckons those who would normally be waiters were out of a job (casuals I presume), now get as much on jobseeker or there abouts as they probably would for a normal week so aren't interested in working. Could probably earn a bit more if they worked bit not worth the hours involved for a little bit more income.

Reckons normally puts an ad out for a job he gets 300 replies/enquiries, now gets 20 or 30

20 or 30 replies? What is the problem then?

Dec 18, 2007
Counting premiership cups
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Non that play Essendon

It is the quality of the applicants not the quantity of applicants that matters and often the number of applicants is inflated because of the government's mutual obligation requirements.

To complete against jobseeker then he will need to offer higher wages or accept he needs to find ways to manage.

Aug 18, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
It is the quality of the applicants not the quantity of applicants that matters and often the number of applicants is inflated because of the government's mutual obligation requirements.

To complete against jobseeker then he will need to offer higher wages or accept he needs to find ways to manage.
Not for long......

Because they apparently are the type who apply for a job that is wed-sun and then say they can't work fri-sun......

Probably tick it off as a job interview so they can get government handouts......

What a crock of s**t.

The ignore function is your friend. Certainly helps with my blood pressure.
i've had the campaigner on ignore for ages. The truth is not everything he writes is s**t and he does have some redeeming features so i read a fair bit of what he has to say anyway.

But the stuff he says about blackfellas is just wrong and it deserves scorn.

EDit lol I barely looked at who you quoted me abusing and assumed it was tef/snake baker.

LOL

None of that stuff I typoed applies to FRUMPY

What is?

Pretty much your whole argument.

Its illogical garbage.

Because one person who applied for a job now can't work some hours every one of the 20 or 30 people who apply for these positions is exactly that sort of person and the fact that its only 20 or 30 instead of 300 (for one job!! - how ****ed up is the economy then?) means the other 270 odd people are all dole bludgers.

I'll bet you think the left are the ones who get off on outrage.

Back