Player Watch #4 Dustin Martin

Remove this Banner Ad

I think Dusty is actually the fastest thinking player in the comp. it’s what sets him apart.
He knows what his going to do before he gets the ball then just goes bang
He is unmatched in reading the flight and bounce of the ball. How often do you see his direct opponent run towards the ball, completely misread the fall of it, and there's Dusty just waiting for it.

I think Dusty is actually the fastest thinking player in the comp. it’s what sets him apart.

to fair to the rest of the players it must be hard as a human playing against a god

He is unmatched in reading the flight and bounce of the ball. How often do you see his direct opponent run towards the ball, completely misread the fall of it, and there's Dusty just waiting for it.
His second goal in the grand final last year. I've watched that clip so many times and it still amazes me how the ball ended up in his hands. It's a combination of footy smarts, confidence and freakish talent.

His second goal in the grand final last year. I've watched that clip so many times and it still amazes me how the ball ended up in his hands. It's a combination of footy smarts, confidence and freakish talent.
And keeping his feet. He always keeps his feet.

100% agree ...
There was an incident where Sidebottom tried to nutmeg him in the middle of the G a few years ago and he picked it, blocked it, got the ball and ran off ... unbelievable game within a game
Dusty is the best
I love Dusty

(Log in to remove this ad.)

there's no h in thankyou melbourne
That is one of the most ironic draft failures of all time. Tank to get the first two draft picks, then take two who aren't even top ten worthy in retrospect, while the club cheated out of the top pick still gets their preferred player who just happens to be one of the very best of all time if not the best. Oh, and win the wooden spoon in the process.

View attachment 1049837

Has there ever been a draft where the top three picks have three flags and three Norm Smith's amongst them?
Like lambs to the slaughter, so are the 2009 top picks to Melbourne.

One played 89 games, one kicked 89 goals and both were 89 times overshadowed by the bloke that was drafted immediately after them.

Last edited:
Older, wiser Dusty showing no signs of slowing down

- Jay Clark

Richmond superstar Dustin Martin will start the season in excellent condition after showing on the training track this summer he was hungry for more success.

Tigers’ high performance chief Peter Burge confirmed the squad was in good shape heading into the new season with only three players currently in the rehabilitation group.

Ruckman Ivan Soldo and youngster Noah Cumberland are both out with serious knee injuries, while Bachar Houli is in doubt for Round 1 with the calf problem he suffered in the Grand Final.

Dustin Martin continues to set the high bar in the AFL.

Gun midfielder Dion Prestia also tweaked his ankle in match simulation last week, but is expected to be back in full training next week.

It means Richmond is pleased with its fitness bill four months after taking out back-to-back premierships, in another big tick for its strength and conditioning department.

And even as Martin prepares to turn 30 this year, Burge said the champion ballwinner had enjoyed another outstanding pre-season campaign and was showing no signs of slowing down.

“He’s been pretty impressive, ‘Dusty’,” Burge said.

“He would hate for me to be talking him up, but for someone who has achieved so much in the past few years you could excuse someone maybe for just taking their foot off the pedal.

“But he has done the opposite.

Martin has achieved so much in recent times.

“He doesn’t miss training, he is always looking to do more, and he’s just really impressive.”

Martin, 29, cemented his reputation as one of the greatest big game players in AFL history in the Tigers’ third premiership win in four years, taking out his third Norm Smith Medal.

Burge said even after a decent session on Monday at Punt Rd Oval, Martin was keen to do more.

“He asked me afterwards if he could do a (extra) fartlek (interval running) session,” Burge said.

“I said ‘Mate you don’t need to do it today, you’ve got a pretty heavy session coming up’, but quite often he will do something anyway because he likes to maintain that high standard.

“He’s older and he’s more mature and he really enjoys being around his teammates given COVID and all of the restrictions.

“He gets a real lift coming in to the club and training. It’s his outlet and he loves it.”

More here with updates on Bachar Houli's calf injury and contract negotiations with Damien Hardwick.

Talking about quick thinking.. if you look closely sometimes he changes his kick mid ball drop if there’s a better option and still nails it to a tee. Meanwhile there’s yokels like Dangerfield running around who barely kick it off their shin half the time.

Older, wiser Dusty showing no signs of slowing down

- Jay Clark

Richmond superstar Dustin Martin will start the season in excellent condition after showing on the training track this summer he was hungry for more success.

Tigers’ high performance chief Peter Burge confirmed the squad was in good shape heading into the new season with only three players currently in the rehabilitation group.

Ruckman Ivan Soldo and youngster Noah Cumberland are both out with serious knee injuries, while Bachar Houli is in doubt for Round 1 with the calf problem he suffered in the Grand Final.

Gun midfielder Dion Prestia also tweaked his ankle in match simulation last week, but is expected to be back in full training next week.

It means Richmond is pleased with its fitness bill four months after taking out back-to-back premierships, in another big tick for its strength and conditioning department.

And even as Martin prepares to turn 30 this year, Burge said the champion ballwinner had enjoyed another outstanding pre-season campaign and was showing no signs of slowing down.

“He’s been pretty impressive, ‘Dusty’,” Burge said.

“He would hate for me to be talking him up, but for someone who has achieved so much in the past few years you could excuse someone maybe for just taking their foot off the pedal.

“But he has done the opposite.

“He doesn’t miss training, he is always looking to do more, and he’s just really impressive.”

Martin, 29, cemented his reputation as one of the greatest big game players in AFL history in the Tigers’ third premiership win in four years, taking out his third Norm Smith Medal.

Burge said even after a decent session on Monday at Punt Rd Oval, Martin was keen to do more.

“He asked me afterwards if he could do a (extra) fartlek (interval running) session,” Burge said.

“I said ‘Mate you don’t need to do it today, you’ve got a pretty heavy session coming up’, but quite often he will do something anyway because he likes to maintain that high standard.

“He’s older and he’s more mature and he really enjoys being around his teammates given COVID and all of the restrictions.

“He gets a real lift coming in to the club and training. It’s his outlet and he loves it.”

More here with updates on Bachar Houli's calf injury and contract negotiations with Damien Hardwick.

must have killed jay clarke to write a richmond article

geelol supporting colonwood fan boy

Remove this Banner Ad

Back