Brownlow Medallist
Dec 13, 2011
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Glory W-League
Here we are.

Season 2021, with a big list turnover and some new fresh exciting faces coming into the Blue & Gold

We’ve also had a new coach - Daniel Pratt, who looks he to engaging a similar mantra to Simmo - follow the process and control the controllables.

For me, I come in hopeful of more scoreboard pressure and a structure that was evidently not there in our debut season

We start this season with a game against the Crows and then against GWS. In this COVID climate we need to be flexible and alert as to the ever changing landscape

Memberships: HERE

WCE AFLW SQUAD 2021

View attachment 1048143

Bring on the new season. 💙💛🦅

Last edited by a moderator:
RND 1

WEST COAST v ADELAIDE

2.10pm AWST, Saturday, March 7
Mineral Resources Park, Lathlain, WA

• It will be new coach Daniel Pratt's first match in charge after Luke Dwyer parted ways with the club. Recruit Aisling McCarthy and draftee Bella Lewis should add some much-needed depth to the midfield after a tough first season.
  • Adelaide will be welcoming back newly standalone captain Chelsea Randall with open arms, as well as a fully fit Erin Phillips and Rhi Metcalfe. The Crows will be desperate to improve on just two wins last year.
  • Tip: A very tough ask first up for West Coast, even at home, with Adelaide piling on 2.21 against GWS in its practice match. Crows by 27 points

West Coast v Adelaide at Mineral Resources Park, 2.10pm AWST

WEST COAST

B:
A.Ward 33, S.McDonald 35
HB:
B.Smith 14, T.Bresland 20, M.Collier 8
C:
M.Bowen 1, A.McCarthy 11, I.Lewis 6
HF:
S.Davison 28, N.Kelly 12, G.Kelly 15
F:
A.Gilmore 22, K.Gibson 2
Foll:
P.Laurie 25, D.Hooker 17, E.Swanson 13
I/C:
A.Atkins 9, B.Green 3, H.Bullas 24, C.Guard 4, D.Liddle 23

Emerg: K.Orme 32, K.Pope 29

ADELAIDE

B:
L.Whiteley 22, S.Allan 39
HB:
N.Allen 8, C.Randall 26, M.Rajcic 32
C:
J.Mules 23, A.Hatchard 33, A.Foley 3
HF:
E.Marinoff 10, E.Phillips 13, E.Jones 2
F:
A.Woodland 24, S.Thompson 14
Foll:
R.Metcalfe 11, H.Button 6, D.Ponter 15
I/C:
N.Gore 7, M.Newman 17, T.Charlton 25, C.Biddell 12, A.Considine 16
Emerg:
R.Forth 27, C.Gould 1

What are everybody’s expectations this season?

I want to see incremental improvements, maybe 2-3 wins and a more functional forward line as a starting point.
The problem with sport is that it's not just about how you play, it's about how your opponents play, and I think most other teams have improved more than we have. So I don't think it follows that just because we're better, we'll automatically get more wins. Quite possibly we'll be heaps better and not win a game.

Having said that, this is by far the hardest AFLW season to pick, and anything could happen.

More scoring, more competitive.

If we don’t win, so be it, but none of these games where we kick one goal for the game and get blown out of the water.

And it’d be nice not to have to rely on Swanson and Hooker to do so much of the heavy lifting.

For me I am wanting to see a significantly improved game plan and better ball movement.

Not an ideal comment, I will own the negativity of my words, but never the less, I will admit that I was pretty happy when I read that Dwyer was moving on, as I thought he was bereft of any effective game plan last year :shrug: and some of his coaching moves left me gobsmacked :eekv1:.

Not expecting us to win to many more games than last year, but hopefully, fingers crossed, a couple of wins would be nice.

If we can be much closer in the scoring contest , with not so many blowouts that would be a big positive IMO.

Having watched some of the Carlton V Collingwood and Saints V Doggies games, what was obvious was how vastly improved the quality of football was from last season, the kicking skills in particular, have improved big time and the team structures were much more evolved, consequently, creating more scoring opportunities.

We have improved our list, no doubt, but from what I have seen thus far so have all the Clubs that I mentioned above.
Saints looked very impressive in the first game, of their second season.

Suspecting its going to take us another 2-3 seasons to become a side with a 50% winning ratio.

The good news is that there is some real quality young WA gals, that are going to be coming through in the next few years.

That said: Let go gals and all the best for a great 2021 season.

:clapping::clapping: :footy: :westcoast: :yellowheart::blueheart:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Crows pushed so many numbers back then. We had a few quality opportunities but Crows on the last line were able to snuff them out. A little more composure and I think those opportunities become goals.

Some good signs.

Crows pushed so many numbers back then. We had a few quality opportunities but Crows on the last line were able to snuff them out. A little more composure and I think those opportunities become goals.

Some good signs.
We locked it in 50 for a longer period than most of last season so that was promising.

Bowen was excellent

Goalless first quarter to start off, though they've only kicked 2 and 1 of those was from a lucky bounce.

Bowen our best but still not confident in her kicking. Smith solid down back. Niamh Kelly involved and looks handy, though I question Grace's footy smarts. I don't think she can play up forward as she can't read the play well enough. Maybe put her down back or through the middle in a tagging capacity?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back