Team Mgmt. 2021 starting 22

Remove this Banner Ad

So who do we think will be our 2nd small forward (besides Tippa)? Options that come to mind are Snelling, Smith and Cahill. I really hope at least one of them is in the forward line most of the time because we are kidding ourselves if we want to run a forward line with only one crumbing option and no dominant key forwards.

I personally think Cahill could go really well with Tippa as it sounds like he has a big engine and could work further up the ground allowing Tippa to stay more inside 50 and use his classy finishing to really hurt the opposition. But it could be hard for him to get a game at present with Snelling and Smith ahead of him depending on what roles they are playing.

Leaving out a few of the older guys (Zakka, Hooker, Ambrose) and hoping we play youth early. I’d like to see at least for the first few rounds;-

Hurley BZT Francis
Ridley Stewart Hind
Merrett McGrath Caldwell
Langford Jones Perkins
Stringer 2MP Tippa

Draper Parish Shiel

Heppell Smith Snelling Laverde

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Leaving out a few of the older guys (Zakka, Hooker, Ambrose) and hoping we play youth early. I’d like to see at least for the first few rounds;-

Hurley BZT Francis
Ridley Stewart Hind
Merrett McGrath Caldwell
Langford Jones Perkins
Stringer 2MP Tippa

Draper Parish Shiel

Heppell Smith Snelling Laverde

Ambrose starts everyday of the week and twice on Sundays.

He didn’t play at all in 2020 so not sure he just walks back into the team in 2021 given Ridleys form and competition for spots with BZT, Francis, Hurley, Hooker, Stewart etc
There’s only so many players we can fit in defence...

I'd have Ambrose comfortably ahead of BZT at Full-Back if fit.

The only reason BZT starts ahead of him is if we're prioritising youth, Ambrose is much more capable playing on a big forward at this stage.

B: Hurley - Zerk-Thatcher - Ridley
HB: Francis - Stewart - Hind
C: Langford - Shiel - Merrett
HF: Perkins - Jones - Smith
F: Stringer - Wright - Walla
R: Draper - McGrath - Parish
I/C: Heppell - Caldwell - Laverde - Cahill

B: Hurley - Zerk-Thatcher - Ridley
HB: Francis - Stewart - Hind
C: Langford - Shiel - Merrett
HF: Perkins - Jones - Smith
F: Stringer - Wright - Walla
R: Draper - McGrath - Parish
I/C: Heppell - Caldwell - Laverde - Cahill

Not a bad side, but no Hooker or Cox makes it less tumescent.

B Francis Ambrose Ridley
HB Redman Stewart Hind
C Langford Heppell Merrett
HF Smith Jones Stringer
FF AMT Wright Laverde
R Draper Shiel McGrath
INT Caldwell Parish Perkins Snelling / Hooker

Next in line: Hurley Ham Cahill Zerk-Thatcher Cox Guelfi Gleeson Zaka Phillips

(Log in to remove this ad.)

With the positional changes and training reports. Are we looking at this?

Francis Ambrose Ridley
Redman Stewart Heppell
Langford McGrath Merrett
Stringer Hurley Jones
Smith Wright Tippungwuti
Draper Shiel Parish
Caldwell Snelling Hind Perkins

While Stewart and Hurley have been training at opposite ends, I don't think that makes it a foregone conclusion that that's where they'll play most of their footy. I think it's more likely they play their regular positions and switch according to our needs at any given time.

With the positional changes and training reports. Are we looking at this?

Francis Ambrose Ridley
Redman Stewart Heppell
Langford McGrath Merrett
Stringer Hurley Jones
Smith Wright Tippungwuti
Draper Shiel Parish
Caldwell Snelling Hind Perkins

Francis XXXX Ridley
Redman Stewart XXXX
Caldwell McGrath Merrett
Stringer XXXX Langford
XXXX Wright Tippungwuti
Draper Shiel Parish
Smith XXXX Hind Heppell

For mine, the X positions are up for grabs or placeholders.

Our weakest spots on the park. Hopefully we can develop our recruits to fill these holes.

At this point I think we have 19 spots locked in & 3 spots up for grabs;-

Hurley SPOT1 Francis
Ridley Stewart Hind
Merrett McGrath Caldwell
Langford Stringer SPOT2
SPOT3 2MP Tippa

Draper Parish Shiel

Bench: Redman Heppell Smith Snelling

I think our full back role SPOT1 is very much up for grabs - Ambrose, Zerk & Hooker all candidates and possibly even Reid will get a try later in the year

SPOT2 - the half forward flank another position where we have a number of candidates - Zakka, Perkins, Cahill come to mind, and guys I have on the bench like Smith & Snelling will also spend time here

SPOT3 I'd call the '3rd tall' forward role. Less options here - lots of people me included hoping Jones can have an impact this year, Laverde & Hooker also options.

B Francis - Hooker - Ridley
HB Heppell - Stewart - Hind
C Langford - McGrath - Merrett
HF Snelling - Jones - Smith
F Tippa - Wright - Stringer
R Draper - Parish - Shiel
Int. Redman - Caldwell - Cahill - Hurley

Got a feeling round one could look something like this.

I like the look of this team. It got me thinking that they have been investing in tall wingers of late. The move of Langford to that position (Heppell?), along with players like Cutler and Cox that could also play that role. I wonder if this might be a Rutten request to drafting, to have more of this type of player (ie height with endurance). Having wingers that can outmark opponents gives you more options for releasing from defence.

Perhaps a centreline of
C: Cox McGrath Langford
is something they might be looking for during the year.

Assuming Ambrose isn't ready, I reckon you've about nailer it. My emergencies: Ham, Cox, Phillips, Guelfi (or Laverde it fit)

Assuming Ambrose isn't ready, I reckon you've about nailer it. My emergencies: Ham, Cox, Phillips, Guelfi (or Laverde it fit)
Yep, maybe Perkins in the mix as well. Doesn’t look like Ambrose or Laverde will be ready from what I’ve read (neither have joined main training yet).

Factoring in the modified group stuff too, I wouldn't be surprised if Perkins takes a while to play his first game.

He may very well debut rd 1 but really, it'd be a big transition from playing just six NAB league games in two years.

Factoring in the modified group stuff too, I wouldn't be surprised if Perkins takes a while to play his first game.

He may very well debut rd 1 but really, it'd be a big transition from playing just six NAB league games in two years.
Forgot Perkins was in modified as well.

Wouldn’t be at all shocked if it took a while for any of our draftees to debut because they’ve had a year off playing, but I still expect them all to get a run at some stage. I doubt Perkins looks back once he cracks the side.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back