Player Watch Pick #16 (2020, match NGA bid) - Lachie Jones

Remove this Banner Ad

Mitch Georgiades, no mean athlete himself, on Lachie:

“And then Lachie Jones has been onto it straight away. He’s a freak of an athlete and is making some good progress out on the track...”

Yes thats what I’ve got my fingers crossed for , they say they often start young midfielders off at half back , maybe Lachids already done that
Between Bergman, Houston, Jones and Garner, we need at least two to become bona fide midfielders in the long-term, otherwise we are left with a surplus of peripheral defenders who we can't all fit into the 22.

I don't want a situation where we can't ever give Garner a game, despite the fact he is good enough, because we have too many HBFs at the expense of not enough decent midfielders.

FWIW, I also think that Frederick has AFL potential. He is a better footballer than his brother, who did surprisingly well playing lots of games for Freo in 2020, even though at times he looked like a rabbit caught in headlights.

In the years post-Hartlett and post-Jonas (say 2023 onwards), our backline should look like:

DBJ.....Clurey......Pasini

Burton.....Aliir......Garner/Houston

with Jones and Bergman playing as explosive and powerful mids, with good kicking and marking skills, alongside of Wines, Butters, Rozee, Duursma, SPP, Mead and Drew.

Forward flank?????????

I dont think so!
I don't think he would dislodge the established small to medium backs and if he is waiting for an opportunity as a pure midfielder - his body, game play adaptation and general acclimatisation to the AFL midfield speed would see him wait a long time for opportunity.

A rotating midfield / high half forward / bench role is the perfect introduction to the team on exposed form. This allows him to settle into the speed of AFL without being exposed on the scoring end by not having a seasoned AFL body, game play adaptation and general acclimatisation to the AFL midfield speed. Being exposed in these areas in the graveyard that is the high half forward is not as big a liability and the tight contested nature of our midfield means he would get plenty of coverage.

It may not be the position he finally settles in, but it is the best possible Round 1 position for him to play barring significant list availability changes.

Between Bergman, Houston, Jones and Garner, we need at least two to become bona fide midfielders in the long-term, otherwise we are left with a surplus of peripheral defenders who we can't all fit into the 22.

I don't want a situation where we can't ever give Garner a game, despite the fact he is good enough, because we have too many HBFs at the expense of not enough decent midfielders.

FWIW, I also think that Frederick has AFL potential. He is a better footballer than his brother, who did surprisingly well playing lots of games for Freo in 2020, even though at times he looked like a rabbit caught in headlights.

In the years post-Hartlett and post-Jonas (say 2023 onwards), our backline should look like:

DBJ.....Clurey......Pasini

Burton.....Aliir......Garner/Houston

with Jones and Bergman playing as explosive and powerful mids, with good kicking and marking skills, alongside of Wines, Butters, Rozee, Duursma, SPP, Mead and Drew.
DBJ will play a lot of midfield time (even up forward a bit) to maximise his skills, now he is in the leadership group. Don't want him, TJ and Hammer all in defence. Burton has to prove he is not an injury risk too. Jones or Bergs can slot into the backline then.

I don't think he would dislodge the established small to medium backs and if he is waiting for an opportunity as a pure midfielder - his body, game play adaptation and general acclimatisation to the AFL midfield speed would see him wait a long time for opportunity.

A rotating midfield / high half forward / bench role is the perfect introduction to the team on exposed form. This allows him to settle into the speed of AFL without being exposed on the scoring end by not having a seasoned AFL body, game play adaptation and general acclimatisation to the AFL midfield speed. Being exposed in these areas in the graveyard that is the high half forward is not as big a liability and the tight contested nature of our midfield means he would get plenty of coverage.

It may not be the position he finally settles in, but it is the best possible Round 1 position for him to play barring significant list availability changes.
He is not a forward, and is not doing any preseason training there. It would be plain insanity if he were to start there in round 1. He will play in round one I reckon, but it will be down back where he has been training. It certainly wont surprise me to see him playing minutes in the midfield by the end of the season.

He is not a forward, and is not doing any preseason training there. It would be plain insanity if he were to start there in round 1. He will play in round one I reckon, but it will be down back where he has been training. It certainly wont surprise me to see him playing minutes in the midfield by the end of the season.
Who is he dislodging from the back 6?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

B. McKenzie, Clurey Jonas
HB. Hartlett, AA, Darcy BJ
C. Duursma, Rocky, Amon
HF. Connor, Toddy, Butters
F. Fantasia, Dixon, Gray
Foll. Lycett, Boak, Wines
I/C Ladhams, SPP, Houston, Jones

So you've dislodged Burton from the back 7 (or 8 if you count Houston)?

So you've dislodged Burton from the back 7 (or 8 if you count Houston)?
I just love Burton, but he has to play some sanfl games to get some continuity & trust out of his body first IMO ... As for Houston, someone has to start on the bench, I have him there, but it might just as well be McKenzie while Houston starts on-field. I think my main point is that there is place for Jones to start round 1 if he is ready to go.

One thing for sure, with the new concussion protocols, we are going to see more players miss games, so we should be seeing a few different players taking to the field and getting opportunities. We have some really great young depth on our list now, I really hope the Hinkley has reformed & gives these players opportunities.

C. Duursma, Rocky, Amon
F. Fantasia, Dixon, Gray

rocky boak and wines all in the middle. other than that, that looks good

C. Duursma, Rocky, Amon
F. Fantasia, Dixon, Gray

Is this the Round 1 team or a best overall? Coz you haven't picked any on our 2019 draftees.

Its tough to pick even the best defensive 8 at the moment if you assume DBJ plays down back and Burton is good to go. He won't get SANFL games as long as he gets through preseason training and games he is a lock for Round One. Athletic, good skills, versatile and a genuine defender. Its McKenzie and Clurey that I feel might be competing for the same spot.

Rocky is round one but I would be surprised if he is in our first 22 by season's end.

I wonder if we are going to go with two rucks with Allir and Dixon capable of giving Lycett enough of a break. If Ladhams can't learn to hold down a position, he might end up competing with Hayes for Lycetts position as main ruck.

Is this the Round 1 team or a best overall? Coz you haven't picked any on our 2019 draftees.

Its tough to pick even the best defensive 8 at the moment if you assume DBJ plays down back and Burton is good to go. He won't get SANFL games as long as he gets through preseason training and games he is a lock for Round One. Athletic, good skills, versatile and a genuine defender. Its McKenzie and Clurey that I feel might be competing for the same spot.

Rocky is round one but I would be surprised if he is in our first 22 by season's end.

I wonder if we are going to go with two rucks with Allir and Dixon capable of giving Lycett enough of a break. If Ladhams can't learn to hold down a position, he might end up competing with Hayes for Lycetts position as main ruck.
I agree, there are quite a few scenarios to play out....
Will we stick with two rucks?
Will Georgiades break back into the team and take on Ebert's role?
Will Burton's body & form make him a round 1 lock?
Will some of the other draftees break into the squad? - Bergman, Williams, Mead, come to mind
Will fringe players in Bonner, Drew et-al break back in?
Where is Motlop at? Will he force his way in?

Pre-season matches will start answering some of these.

Must play round 1.

he will have an immediate impact

and could play a vital role of the half back line with this new manning the mark rule as he has a booming kick.

i can’t wait to see him play. We have an absolute draft steal.

I think round 1 we can have him starting off the bench and giving people a rest when need be... And hopefully rotate through the middle/wing every now and then..

Remove this Banner Ad

Back