Analysis Is it acceptable for AFL clubs to be politically biased?

Remove this Banner Ad

Been done to death. I said I'd abide by the results of the plebiscite and haven't mentioned it since. They just shouldn't have been allowed to call it 'marriage'.
Do you still think gay marriage will lead to the downfall of civilisation?

How would you abide or not abide? I don't think you really have a say in it either way.

Actually as pointed out earlier, a minority of people specifically don't want the date moved.

But I guess the needs or opinions of others never did matter to you old white right wing types.
There’s lots of hatred coming through here.

How about we all just out this aside and get back to enjoying the upcoming season?

As I said originally, footy’s my escape and passion. Let’s leave politics aside and get on with enjoying the footy....

🙏😄

There’s lots of hatred coming through here.

How about we all just out this aside and get back to enjoying the upcoming season?

As I said originally, footy’s my escape and passion. Let’s leave politics aside and get on with enjoying the footy....

🙏😄
Are you trying to police other people's speech?

You can leave politics aside if you want. Who are you to tell others to do the same?

They don't really show any political bias that I can see.

They may show signs of being socially progressive, but that's more about being inclusive and casting the net as wide as they can to get the biggest audience they can.

Politically biased? I don't they care whether you are Labor / Liberal-National / Green / One Nation / whatever.
This is what I was a saying quite a few pages back.

Somehow, people have got it in their head that being inclusive, socially aware and/or compassionate .....is Political.

It's not politics though, it's just called not being a campaigner.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm perfectly calm, champ.

You're the one trying to police other people's speech while simultaneously complaining about de-platforming. How does that work?
No I’m not. My view is the tone of the discussion has become aggressive and spiteful. We agree to disagree.. Nothing wrong with that!

Because you know your argument will fall apart in five seconds.

Your homophobia aside, what is the best argument for keeping January 26 as Australia Day?

Is there an argument that's more compelling than "that's just the way it is"?

It's been done on another thread. And it's on the heads of those who want change to make their case. Do some work and come up with a proposal for celebrating Australia Day.

My view is the tone of the discussion has become aggressive and spiteful.

That's Gunnar's modus operandi. A BigFooty cancer that the admin unaccountably allows to fester.
They've made the case. It's unreasonable to expect indigenous folks to observe this date as a cause for celebration. That's the case.

What's your counter-argument?

"Nah, I like it."
What alternate date is being proposed? Abolishing Jan 26 is not a case.

That's Gunnar's modus operandi. A BigFooty cancer that the admin unaccountably allows to fester.
You, on the other hand, claim gay people getting married will cause the collapse of Western civilisation. That's not spiteful?

What do you believe happens to gay people after they die?

What alternate date is being proposed?
Why not May 9? That's the date when in 1901 Australia became a self-governing federation.

Alternatively, the first Australia Day was celebrated on July 30 in 1915. Why not revert to that?

Abolishing Jan 26 is not a case.
Yes it is. The case is straightforward: it is unreasonable to expect indigenous folks to observe that date in celebration.

What is your counter-argument to that?

Last edited:
It’s about ‘reading the room’ and knowing your demographic.

It’s also about leaning into something enough to show you are ‘on board’ but not too much, for fear of alienating the majority.

Look at the NBA.

“BLACK LIVES MATTER” ✅

“ALL COPS ARE BAD” ❌

In the AFL it’s #changethedate.....but probably not “Change the date because we don’t support genocide and historical oppression”

Pro abortion is a pretty straightforward stance to have if you're not a religious fanatic who wants control over women's bodies

It’s off-topic, but I can see why people would take issue with abortion depending on where they believe a ‘life’ exists.

It’s one of the more logical arguments you see from religious folk.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back