Player Watch #7: Liam Baker

Nov 23, 2000
Country Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
Possibly but we are slightly thin with our stocks at half back.
I don’t doubt he can be great in midfield but he may be too good to lose him off half back.
Think HB is the easiest of all positions to fill.
Whats not easy is to replace Cotch in the midfield.
Think Baker has the tools to be half as good as Cotch in extracting the ball.

Think HB is the easiest of all positions to fill.
Whats not easy is to replace Cotch in the midfield.
Think Baker has the tools to be half as good as Cotch in extracting the ball.
As good as baker is I can’t remember a single time he’s been the in and under type
If he moves into the midfield it would be more of an outside role imo

As good as baker is I can’t remember a single time he’s been the in and under type
We can speculate if Baker can play midfield but there is only one way to find out, give him a shot.

We can speculate if Baker can play midfield but there is only one way to find out, give him a shot.
We would of seen those attributes in his game already around stoppages similar to other players that have eventually become full time mids and in those situations we still see he prefers to be on the outside

It’s also extremely rare for a player who has never played midfield at all to become a midfielder

When he played for subi he was as a small forward
His size lends him to the role of either end of the ground but not in the middle

Just because he’s a fantastic player shouldn’t mean he should or can be a midfielder it’s a weird obsession we have as footy fans that they all need to play in the centre if they are any good

We would of seen those attributes in his game already around stoppages similar to other players that have eventually become full time mids and in those situations we still see he prefers to be on the outside

It’s also extremely rare for a player who has never played midfield at all to become a midfielder

When he played for subi he was as a small forward
His size lends him to the role of either end of the ground but not in the middle

Just because he’s a fantastic player shouldn’t mean he should or can be a midfielder it’s a weird obsession we have as footy fans that they all need to play in the centre if they are any good
i was not advocating that Baker should play midfield. Just responding to the question could he play midfield and my response was the only way to really know is give him a shot. I prefer with his run , kick and carry that he plays half back or wing.

Nov 23, 2000
Country Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
He's the perfect size to be an in & under.Use his size to our advantage.He's a mini meatball.

He's the perfect size to be an in & under.Use his size to our advantage.He's a mini meatball.
Meatball has like 10 kilos on the bloke for the same size
Meatball was also always playing as a mid

Googstar

Club Legend
Aug 16, 2009
Gippsland
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Charlotte Hornets
Baker is a gun in his current position

Aint Broke dont fix

This. So damn reliable. You just know he will make the right decision most times. Executes his skills even under extreme pressure. Must keep in the backline unless there is a major injury crisis.

PS - Can we update the number in the op to #7.

Jammo1111

Team Captain
Sep 12, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Last quarter first big play. Baker grubber left foot was a great disposal to JR clean hands to JG grubber left foot to George who horrible fumbles as typical to clean hands Lambert to Prestia GOAL. Bakers kick there was inspirational.
Two beautiful goal assist' s on his left .
George and Jack in the last .

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app
sq

tigerwill

Premiership Player
Mar 19, 2008
AFL Club
Richmond
No idea how he didn’t get a free kick for this...

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Bloody pissed me off at the time and still does every time I see the footage.
Dixon had no eyes for the ball at anytim, he even had his head down to brace for the deliberate contact.
Baker had eyes on the ball at all times and was marking it.
Clear free to everyone bar the @#$&*% umpire.

Drofder

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 18, 2014
37.8265° S, 145.0069° E
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Red Sox, Bruins, Celtics, Niners
Uh oh. Somebody tell me he can still see !

1612091220566.jpeg

Last edited:

Serenity_Now

Club Legend
Oct 7, 2019
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Philadelphia 76ers
Bloody pissed me off at the time and still does every time I see the footage.
Dixon had no eyes for the ball at anytim, he even had his head down to brace for the deliberate contact.
Baker had eyes on the ball at all times and was marking it.
Clear free to everyone bar the @#$&*% umpire.
It wasn’t a marking contest, touched off the boot and called play on straight away, hence why Dixon could clean him up.

dusty1234!

2017 2019 2020
Jan 14, 2020
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Manchester United
What on earth is happening. We gotta lock and up and put them in bloody quaratine or something. Im not jumping to conclusions but for me the amount of off field incidents is slightly worrying

Genghis Tron

HBF
Koala Light vs Dark Charity Match Gumbies FFC - Sweet F.A.
Apr 6, 2020
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
The Void
JFC boys. Hopefully it's not all that bad. Watching with interest.

69vintage

Premiership Player
Jan 15, 2016
AFL Club
Richmond
Jack did say in the That's Good for Footy video that Bakes was the favourite to F*** up over summer .
He could have been the victim of an assault, so shouldn't jump to conclusions.

A woman pepper sprayed him after a verbal dispute according to the HUN. Police are not investigating at this stage.

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Back