Our best rolling 22

Aug 30, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Will never happen! Marchbank is a 3rd floating defender. Doesn't have the speed endurance or foot skills to play wing
He's one of the best runners at the club. Cottrell, O'Brien, Ed, Walsh the ones definitely ahead of him, maybe Charlie too, after that I'm not sure if there's anyone else. Perhaps windows1 can verify, but I seem to remember he was maybe 6th/7th or thereabouts.

I'm really warming to the idea of Marchbank on the wing...

I'm really warming to the idea of Marchbank on the field...

Much like Williamson this year, I just want Marchy to be fit enough to string games together in 2021. I don't particularly care at what level or in what position.

Nov 3, 2020
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Sandringham Zebras, Melbourne Renegades
Had some inspiration from a thread on the main board to make the following best 22. It's based on player's ages from 2020, and is inclusive of 26 years.

26under26

FB - Plowman, Parks, Marchbank

HB - Saad, Weitering, Petrevski-Seton

M - Williamson, Cripps, Walsh

HF - Martin, C. Curnow, Gibbons

FF - Fisher, McKay, Fogarty

FOL - De Koning, Setterfield, Williams

I/C - Dow, Kemp, Durdin, Stocker

EMG - Philp, Silvagni, Cuningham, McGovern

Something which we can take out of this, is that our KPD (especially down back where we would have to play Marchbank/Kemp/Parks as talls) is very limited.

Nov 3, 2020
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
fantasy question here. is Walsh going to be playing inside mid or another year dividing his time on the wing?
Seems to be splitting his time between on ball and wing this year, however he looks like a decent steal considering he scored quite high last year while being stuck on a wing.

ItsAllAboutMe

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 22, 2006
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
At what stage does Marc Murphy step aside and no longer be a best 22 player?

IMO, His inability to stick a tackle and put on any midfield pressure means if we are to move forward as a club he is a liability in the midfield.. which really leaves him fighting out a position in a half forward/pocket with Gibbons, Fisher, JSOS or Betts.

fantasy question here. is Walsh going to be playing inside mid or another year dividing his time on the wing?
site has one senior poster who looks after all things training - best direct your question to esoteric - you'll find him full of info..............

The Bighouse

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 28, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Carlton

IMO, His inability to stick a tackle and put on any midfield pressure means if we are to move forward as a club he is a liability in the midfield.. which really leaves him fighting out a position in a half forward/pocket with Gibbons, Fisher, JSOS or Betts.

From MM himself, it’s HFF, wing & on-ball for his likely positions this year.
I’m struggling to find a place in the 1st XXII ahead of others for those positions but sure we’ll see him selected when fit (& 15 games where possible).

skadoosh

Premiership Player
May 26, 2011
AFL Club
Carlton

No-one ever steps aside. Unless he retires, someone else has to force him out.

Aug 30, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton

Reduced interchange this year, his running ability is going to be something else that holds younger kids out.

You shouldn't need to step aside once youre not best 22; when you're not best 22 you don't get selected.
I’m struggling to find a place in the 1st XXII ahead of others for those positions but sure we’ll see him selected when fit (& 15 games where possible).
Bench mid fwd until the likes of Cuningham/Dow/Fogarty/Stocker/etc force him out of the side.

Odds are he probably lines up on a wing for the first bounce round 1 with Walsh on the other side and Pitto, Cripps, Ed & Williams in the square.

ItsAllAboutMe

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 22, 2006
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur

HF - Martin, Newnes, Gibbons, Fisher, JSOS, Cunningham, Dow, Fogarty, Kennedy... In all honesty i would rather every one of these players be selected before MM on a forward flank.

Wing/ Midfield - Walsh, Cripps, Curnow, Setterfield, Williams would be the first choice midfield and then we have young players like Kemp, Durdin etc who should get a shot before Murph..

I can see a situation where both Murphy and Betts are either playing VFL or decide to retire mid season.

ItsAllAboutMe

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 22, 2006
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
No-one ever steps aside. Unless he retires, someone else has to force him out.

At his age if you are not a definite best 22 player, you probably should have walked away. A good, strong club like Hawthorn would have had that hard conversation.

At his age if you are not a definite best 22 player, you probably should have walked away. A good, strong club like Hawthorn would have had that hard conversation.

Midfielders have to be able to run for 4 quarters whilst performing their roles- we lost games last year because some players couldnt match the run of their direct opponents - look atthe uncontested possession numbers this lack of run and experience gives better oopposiiton sides - cant be a finals side until opposiiton easy meters gained from outside run is stopped - Murphy is still a 4 quarter runner can't say the same for a lot of the younger mids on our books - yet.

As for Eddie he will play every game he is fit to play - easily the best small forward on our list.

ItsAllAboutMe

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 22, 2006
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
Midfielders have to be able to run for 4 quarters whilst performing their roles- we lost games last year because some players couldnt match the run of their direct opponents - look atthe uncontested possession numbers this lack of run and experience gives better oopposiiton sides - cant be a finals side until opposiiton easy meters gained from outside run is stopped - Murphy is still a 4 quarter runner can't say the same for a lot of the younger mids on our books - yet.

As for Eddie he will play every game he is fit to play - easily the best small forward on our list.
It’s always been Murphy’s inability to stick tackles (since his shoulder injury) that has been the issue, not his ability to run and spread. He becomes a defensive liability at every stoppage. Last year when we had the huge momentum shifts which we were unable to stop, this wasn’t because of a lack of running.. it was a lack of defensive pressure, particularly at stoppages.

Let’s hope that Eddie has a better year than 2020, particularly the back half of the year because that was a long way from acceptable, even if he is our best small forward.

It’s always been Murphy’s inability to stick tackles (since his shoulder injury) that has been the issue, not his ability to run and spread. He becomes a defensive liability at every stoppage. Last year when we had the huge momentum shifts which we were unable to stop, this wasn’t because of a lack of running.. it was a lack of defensive pressure, particularly at stoppages.

Let’s hope that Eddie has a better year than 2020, particularly the back half of the year because that was a long way from acceptable, even if he is our best small forward.

I guess that is the opportunity for up and coming mids- they have to match Murph's run and attacking ability and be better defensively...the other thing to consider is the respect the Club is showing Murphy wouldn't be lost on players as oppossed to hwo some other Clubs have been treating older players lately...pretty big year as far as signings go is '21.

Aug 30, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
HF - Martin, Newnes, Gibbons, Fisher, JSOS, Cunningham, Dow, Fogarty, Kennedy... In all honesty i would rather every one of these players be selected before MM on a forward flank.

Wing/ Midfield - Walsh, Cripps, Curnow, Setterfield, Williams would be the first choice midfield and then we have young players like Kemp, Durdin etc who should get a shot before Murph..

I can see a situation where both Murphy and Betts are either playing VFL or decide to retire mid season.
Martin will play hf & mid, Newnes similar hf/wing. Gibbons & Fish predominantly hf/small fwd. They're all playing anyway.

JSOS is hardly like for like with Murph, more competing with Gov or Setters/Ed as (kinda) 3rd tall or inside mid.

Cuningham... man, who knows... he could play 5 games or 22 and I'm not sure either result wouldn't surprise me.

Dow, Fogarty & Kennedy would have to do a mountain of work to surpass Murph as a rotating md/fwd when to date the 3 of them can't run 2 ways all day.

Kennedy maybe competing with SOS as that (faux?) 3rd tall flanker/inside mid role

Durdin is a small forward, can't see a guy of his stature moving into the midfield in his first year, especially when we targeted him as a small forward.

Kemp ain't playing until the back half of the year, and he'll probably be lining up on a back flank for the reserves.

Betts is a little different, being a small forward, where it's probably reliant on a Fogarty/Durdin/Honey/etc pushing him out, but there's less experience there than in the list of players vying for midfield opportunity.

Nov 3, 2020
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Probably on a wing, free-ing up Walsh to spend more time on the ball. Wouldn't be surprised if Murph is pushed out of the side by Newman when he comes back from injury. That lets both Willo and SPS be permanent wingers/mids.

Back