Analysis Is it acceptable for AFL clubs to be politically biased?

Remove this Banner Ad

Handsome.B.Wonderful

Premiership Player
Jan 13, 2006
Bigfooty
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Yes I'm sure that's what you meant. You definitely didn't make a mistake in thinking Rodski was our CEO after his name had been splashed in the media in the past 24 hours for his new role at the Storm.

Nope instead you made a "joke" that made zero sense.

You definitely 100% didn't and won't admit to a mistake.

Speaking of never changing.

That is nonsensical as I was referring to the current Essendon CEO who started his career in the marketing department.

Like most people here I’m probably not 100% up to date with the Essendon sales and marketing managers and NRL news. I have heard the name “Justin Rodski” before but it means about as much to me as the name “Nicole Buckley” means to you.

That is nonsensical as I was referring to the current Essendon CEO who started his career in the marketing department.

Like most people here I’m probably not 100% up to date with the Essendon sales and marketing managers and NRL news. I have heard the name “Justin Rodski” before but it means about as much to me as the name “Nicole Buckley” means to you.
I'm glad your ploughing ahead with the "I was making a joke about the CEO which I know his LinkedIn says isn't true and therefore I know it makes no sense" rather than just admitting you were wrong.

But you making jokes which can't be funny because they aren't true isn't the point of this thread. :) So I'm done. Have one last crack at claiming I'm the nonsensical one here.

Handsome.B.Wonderful

Premiership Player
Jan 13, 2006
Bigfooty
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I'm glad your ploughing ahead with the "I was making a joke about the CEO which I know his LinkedIn says isn't true and therefore I know it makes no sense" rather than just admitting you were wrong.

But you making jokes which can't be funny because they aren't true isn't the point of this thread. :) So I'm done. Have one last crack at claiming I'm the nonsensical one here.

You sound like a person that has a great sense of humour but let me just add that something can be amusing even if it isn’t 100% true.

Humour often involves a little stretch of the truth to the genesis of the joke.

In this case I’ve stretched the truth on Xavier Campbell starting as a social media manager to exacerbate the joke of him becoming CEO.

A quick read of the Essendon board will tell you that his rise to CEO is a widely regarded as a joke, however not many are laughing.

Schneebly11

Cancelled
Apr 7, 2020
AFL Club
Richmond
I don't believe sporting clubs need to get involved in social/political issues.

I have a question for all those who share that sentiment, which seems to be only said around things like Indigenous round, Australia Day, Multicultural round, Pride Game, Same Sex Marriage support that one side of Politics has an issue with.....

To be consistent do you also believe that Anzac Day observance at the AFL needs to be stopped? That is an occasion dedicated to members of the military, part of the government, carrying out the orders of a political entity. It is inherently political.

As far as crowd involvement goes AFL crowds aren’t required to actually do anything at a pride game or indigenous round, but must stand and observe at minute’s silence at an Anzac Day game. Heaven help anyone who chooses not to.

To me this is a far more political event than any LGBT or Indigenous AFL recognition.

So if we are the get rid of Indigenous and LGBT recognition at football, then I believe to be consistent dispense with Anzac round as well.

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
You sound like a person that has a great sense of humour but let me just add that something can be amusing even if it isn’t 100% true.

Humour often involves a little stretch of the truth to the genesis of the joke.

In this case I’ve stretched the truth on Xavier Campbell starting as a social media manager to exacerbate the joke of him becoming CEO.

A quick read of the Essendon board will tell you that his rise to CEO is a widely regarded as a joke, however not many are laughing.

Your timing was pretty poor in that case.

Comedy is all about the timing.

Apr 12, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
I have a question for all those who share that sentiment, which seems to be only said around things like Indigenous round, Australia Day, Multicultural round, Pride Game, Same Sex Marriage support that one side of Politics has an issue with.....

To be consistent do you also believe that Anzac Day observance at the AFL needs to be stopped? That is an occasion dedicated to members of the military, part of the government, carrying out the orders of a political entity. It is inherently political.

As far as crowd involvement goes AFL crowds aren’t required to actually do anything at a pride game or indigenous round, but must stand and observe at minute’s silence at an Anzac Day game. Heaven help anyone who chooses not to.

To me this is a far more political event than any LGBT or Indigenous AFL recognition.

So if we are the get rid of Indigenous and LGBT recognition at football, then I believe to be consistent dispense with Anzac round as well.

Pretty hard to argue against this logic.

I wonder how much of this is driven by government grants? Not that the grants are "say this and we'll give you that" but rather a demonstration that the AFLs voice is powerful and thus worthy of funding to achieve government's ends.

Roby

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jul 27, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Been done to death. I said I'd abide by the results of the plebiscite and haven't mentioned it since. They just shouldn't have been allowed to call it 'marriage'.

Why shouldn't it be called marriage do you think some religious cult patented it?

Your view is not only incorrect and outdated but also historically ignorant.

Masotiger

All Australian
Feb 12, 2020
Pod Mosto Drvo
AFL Club
Richmond

Fair enough. If that's what's needed then get rid of ANZAC Day as well.

The difference is, ANZAC Day will be honoured anyway by far more important institutions than the AFL. The reason Australians have celebrated ANZAC Day will remain regardless of the AFL's involvement. The public holiday will exist regardless of what the AFL does. And don't think for one minute that this is not an exercise of maximising on an opportunity on the AFL's behalf!!

Masotiger

All Australian
Feb 12, 2020
Pod Mosto Drvo
AFL Club
Richmond
Maybe you should.

Invasion
noun

noun: invasion; plural noun: invasions

an instance of invading a country or region with an armed force.
"Napoleon's disastrous invasion of Russia in 1812"

an incursion by a large number of people or things into a place or sphere of activity.
"there was a brief pitch invasion when Sunderland scored"

an unwelcome intrusion into another's domain.
"random drug testing of employees is an unwarranted invasion of privacy"

There have been as many as 500 massacres of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples in Australia. And mass killings occurred well into the middle of the 20th century, researchers have said.

The disturbing revelations were released by the University of Newcastle on Friday as part of the second stage of its online massacre map, which now covers frontier violence that occurred from the arrival of the first fleet in 1788 to the colonisation of the Northern Territory, South Australia and remote Queensland up to 1930.

The map now details about 250 massacres that meet strict criteria of standards of proof, covering every state except Western Australia.

The estimated death toll from those incidents is about 6,200 Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples and fewer than 100 colonists, with an average of 25 Indigenous people killed in every massacre.

Maybe you should.

Invasion
noun

noun: invasion; plural noun: invasions

an instance of invading a country or region with an armed force.
"Napoleon's disastrous invasion of Russia in 1812"

an incursion by a large number of people or things into a place or sphere of activity.
"there was a brief pitch invasion when Sunderland scored"

"random drug testing of employees is an unwarranted invasion of privacy"

There have been as many as 500 massacres of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples in Australia. And mass killings occurred well into the middle of the 20th century, researchers have said.

The disturbing revelations were released by the University of Newcastle on Friday as part of the second stage of its online massacre map, which now covers frontier violence that occurred from the arrival of the first fleet in 1788 to the colonisation of the Northern Territory, South Australia and remote Queensland up to 1930.

The map now details about 250 massacres that meet strict criteria of standards of proof, covering every state except Western Australia.

The estimated death toll from those incidents is about 6,200 Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples and fewer than 100 colonists, with an average of 25 Indigenous people killed in every massacre.

Germany "invaded" Poland in 1939. The Soviet Union "invaded" Czechoslovakia in 1968. 11 ships consisting primarily of convicts arriving in Botany Bay hardly constitutes an "invasion".

I don't dispute the subsequent treatment of the indigenous population was far from decent. I don't condone the actions leading to the stolen generation, or even excluding them from the official Australian population count prior to 1967. And I applaud the actions taken over the years in trying to bring about a reconciliation, but "Invasion Day", get real. Then again, it suits the radical left wing agenda. When the first one of them denounce their Australian citizenship and sell up and return to wherever their ancestors came from they can let me know and I'll do the same. Bet that'll upset their little hipster, skinny, soy latte sipping inner suburban set.

Germany "invaded" Poland in 1939. The Soviet Union "invaded" Czechoslovakia in 1968. 11 ships consisting primarily of convicts arriving in Botany Bay hardly constitutes an "invasion".

I don't dispute the subsequent treatment of the indigenous population was far from decent. I don't condone the actions leading to the stolen generation, or even excluding them from the official Australian population count prior to 1967. And I applaud the actions taken over the years in trying to bring about a reconciliation, but "Invasion Day", get real. Then again, it suits the radical left wing agenda. When the first one of them denounce their Australian citizenship and sell up and return to wherever their ancestors came from they can let me know and I'll do the same. Bet that'll upset their little hipster, skinny, soy latte sipping inner suburban set.
Did you miss this part of the definition?

And did you the choose to ignore the genocide which began at that time?

Good on you for reciting an American term straight from a Fox News talking head though. “Radical left wing agenda”. 😂

(Log in to remove this ad.)

jatz14

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 13, 2011
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Glory W-League
Personally I find it wanky... and a waste of energy... I’d much rather they focused on kicking more goals than the team they were playing that week.
But that said in this day and age of corporate sponsors that are sh*t scared of being associated with anything non PC it’s now a fact of life.
Not a big thing but still wanky
Yes.

I'm really really really really mad that West Coast media managers arent kicking more goals.

Every non goal kicking employee at West Coast should be sacked.

On moto g(6) plus using BigFooty.com mobile app

jatz14

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 13, 2011
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Glory W-League

So if 2 million Chinese turned up in Sydney harbour un announced and unwanted, and we couldn't make them leave.

No one would call this an invasion?

On moto g(6) plus using BigFooty.com mobile app

Feb 9, 2009
Footscray
AFL Club
Richmond
Why shouldn't it be called marriage do you think some religious cult patented it?

Your view is not only incorrect and outdated but also historically ignorant.
campaigners gonna be a campaigner

Honestly it makes me ashamed to be associated with that scumbag via the club we support. Then again I suppose it's unrealistic to think that everyone who supports your club is going to be a decent person

Feb 9, 2009
Footscray
AFL Club
Richmond
man this thread just goes to show how s**t people are. watching a ball go aronud is more important than not raping every woman or murdering everyone who isnt white. seriously * most people on here and everyone else. you can all go to hell, i hope im not around when global warming drowns you all in your collapsed beachfront homes, although maybe that would be a good laugh.

Feb 9, 2009
Footscray
AFL Club
Richmond
A very sick unit, you are. Where are you being held?
jsgkkkhm1de61.jpg

Schneebly11

Cancelled
Apr 7, 2020
AFL Club
Richmond
Fair enough. If that's what's needed then get rid of ANZAC Day as well.

The difference is, ANZAC Day will be honoured anyway by far more important institutions than the AFL. The reason Australians have celebrated ANZAC Day will remain regardless of the AFL's involvement. The public holiday will exist regardless of what the AFL does. And don't think for one minute that this is not an exercise of maximising on an opportunity on the AFL's behalf!!

The difference is, indigenous disadvantage will be tackled anyway by far more important institutions than the AFL. The reason Australians commit to ending racism will remain regardless of the AFL's involvement. The factors exacerbating racism will exist regardless of what the AFL does. And don't think for one minute that this is not an exercise of maximising on an opportunity on the AFL's behalf!!

"Invasion Day", get real. Then again, it suits the radical left wing agenda. When the first one of them denounce their Australian citizenship and sell up and return to wherever their ancestors came from they can let me know and I'll do the same. Bet that'll upset their little hipster, skinny, soy latte sipping inner suburban set.

I'm not hipster, skinny or soy latte sipping but I can see what happened in Australia was an invasion.

Invasion dictionary definition:
an occasion when an army or country uses force to enter and take control of another country

The UK was not in control of Australia before 1788. Armed British Navy ships carrying Royal Marines arrived to claim the land for the UK and claim possession on the 26th of January 1788. Over the next 150 years (there were arranged massacres of indigenous in the 1920's)an estimated 100,000 minimum Indigenous were killed in this conflict, both in pitched battles and deliberate massacres. They claimed colonial possession of the land and used force against the Indigenous population to enforce that. I can't see how that cannot be described as an invasion.

The losses in the Frontier Wars more than the loss of Australian military personnel in war since Federation. We pull out all stops on Anzac day (Lest we Forget) but heads in the sand on the Frontier Wars (Best we Forget).

Back