No Oppo Supporters Non Bulldog Footy Talk - Bulldogs only - Part 4

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wouldn't mind at least seeing medals given out to all who played a final for the flag winner
Yeah agree, when I say squad I don't mean everyone down to the last CatB rookie, there'd need to be a minimum threshold such as finals player or min games played across the season (even if that is a single game). Not sure where you'd draw the line, but I quite like the idea rather than simply recognising the 22 playing on the day.

New protocols enforcing mandatory breaks in my opinion makes this a lot more appealing too. Given how often we see MRP/tribunal controversy in the lead-up to the Grand Final, you can be sure this new rule will be making headlines come finals time.

Last edited:
Me too, most European soccer leagues have a games played qualification for players to get a league winner a medal. EPL minimum is 5 games out of 38, about 13% of games played. 13% of a 25 games season is about 3 games. Probably not enough for an AFL winners medal.
It's difficult to draw an equivalence to European soccer leagues given they award the season winner to what we would call the minor premier, without any finals series. Unlike the AFL they are effectively forced to draw the line somewhere.

Yeah agree, when I say squad I don't mean everyone down to the last CatB rookie, there'd need to be a minimum threshold such as finals player or min games played across the season (even if that is a single game). Not sure where you'd draw the line, but I quite like the idea rather than simply recognising the 22 playing on the day.

New protocols enforcing mandatory breaks in my opinion makes this a lot more appealing too. Given how often we see MRP/tribunal controversy in the lead-up to the Grand Final, you can be sure this new rule will be making headlines come finals time.
I reckon anyone who plays a senior game in a flag winning year deserves a minor medal (can be from the club,not the AFL itself) for being part of the flag-winning effort. Sure you could extend that argument to everyone down to the boot studder and the membership clerks but that's where I'd draw the line: minimum one senior game.

The 22 who played the GF get the premiership medallion instead.

I reckon anyone who plays a senior game in a flag winning year deserves a minor medal (can be from the club,not the AFL itself) for being part of the flag-winning effort. Sure you could extend that argument to everyone down to the boot studder and the membership clerks but that's where I'd draw the line: minimum one senior game.

The 22 who played the GF get the premiership medallion instead.

Does this include the VFL?

Imagine for example Libba plays ONE game back from long term injury and Footscray win the flag, does he get a medal?

Honest question on how you think that would work?

For this to work I think you would have to have a premiership medal and a grand final team medal IMO

Does this include the VFL?

Imagine for example Libba plays ONE game back from long term injury and Footscray win the flag, does he get a medal?

Honest question on how you think that would work?

For this to work I think you would have to have a premiership medal and a grand final team medal IMO
Hadn't really thought about it for the VFL where, to be honest, it's been a moving feast and somewhat compromised since the latter days of the VFA. Nice to win one but it's not the bees knees.

The AFL is where the prestige lies. I reckon those associated with an AFL flag would treasure a token they can show their grandkids for the part they played in a premiership season, even if it was only a small role.

He gave us a premiership by his crap attempt to try and run away from Morris, he thought he was better than what he was

It was a poor take and this is just about worse. You cannot say Buddy goes missing in finals, which is the whole point.

And for good reason , the blokes been a superstar.

Maybe when he was with Hawthorn but he's been a liability with the Swines, spends more time on the sidelines with "mystery injuries" than playing drawing a massive wage for doing SFA (which I don't mind, anything to send the Swines broke is a good thing)

Maybe when he was with Hawthorn but he's been a liability with the Swines, spends more time on the sidelines with "mystery injuries" than playing drawing a massive wage for doing SFA (which I don't mind, anything to send the Swines broke is a good thing)

been a great player at Sydney as well.
The only reason they were in a GF in 2016 was L Franklin.
No Franklin no Sydney.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yikes - wonder how bad it is in other clubs

The ABC just loves a headline with the word 'Racist' in it. Taking into account the authors of the report, the recommendations made and the publisher, the headline is no surprise, few, if any, organisations, let alone professional sporting organisations, in the State, would have attracted much different headlines. As to the implied criticism of Collingwood for holding the report for a month, if Collingwood commissioned and paid for the Report, then whether and if so, to whom, it chooses to publish is up to Collingwood.

Last edited:
The ABC just loves a headline with the word 'Racist' in it. Taking into account the authors of the report, the recommendations made and the publisher, the headline is no surprise, few, if any, organisations, let alone professional sporting organisations, in the State, would have attracted much different headlines. As to the implied criticism of Collingwood for holding the report for a month, if Collingwood commissioned and paid for the Report, then whether and if so, to whom, it chooses to publish is up to Collingwood.

Looking forward to hearing you likewise criticise the Murdoch owned Herald Sun

"WATCH LIVE: Pies respond to explosive racism report
Collingwood president Eddie McGuire has acknowledged the club's past mistakes after a bombshell report into racism at the club was leaked. Follow it live here.

EXCLUSIVEVictoria About an hour ago‘Systemic racism’: Read the leaked report that’s rocked Pies

OPINIONRita Panahi Race-obsessed activists’ report falls short

OPINIONAFL Robbo: Eddie must stand down today"

Arrrrrr to not be in the pies position at the moment!!! The 4 points, a 6 goal win and treloar to get 3 Brownlow votes!!!!

I actually think this offseason by the Pies rivals the Collective Minds offseason for the Crows when it comes to brand damage.

Their press conference could not possibly have been handled worse. The report highlights that the club has an issue with prioritising their public appearance over admitting fault, and they literally make the exact same mistakes once again in the presser. Starting off by saying it's a "Historic and proud day" is just incredible. They need a cleanout from the top

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back