No Oppo Supporters Non Bulldog Footy Talk - Bulldogs only - Part 4

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I actually think this offseason by the Pies rivals the Collective Minds offseason for the Crows when it comes to brand damage.

Their press conference could not possibly have been handled worse. The report highlights that the club has an issue with prioritising their public appearance over admitting fault, and they literally make the exact same mistakes once again in the presser. Starting off by saying it's a "Historic and proud day" is just incredible. They need a cleanout from the top
It's laughable.

The report said Collingwood was more likely to react to media coverage of a racist incident, for the purpose of damage control, than to a complaint made from within the club.

Nek minnut, you've got Eddie out there trying to spin his way through the report... Shane Warne, day 5 at Mumbai type stuff.... I don't think there's anyone less capable at speaking publicly about an issue like this than Eddie. Absolute foot in mouth, he just doesn't get it at all.

Externally this does sweet * all to the pies

Their fans back them regardless. Their sponsors aren’t dropping the biggest club in the land. The media will still kiss their a$$es and have them on ad nauseam.

They could not come out with a zero report after Heyyyyyyy Labamba made his accusations so this is the response. Token points that blame no one while admitting they haven’t been up to scratch. They will dribble out a “new” racial policy and all will be ok.

The outside world will continue to hate them but they thrive off that so it won’t bother them.

Personally think they are being thrown under the bus in this instance. They would be no better or worse than several other clubs but as the big boy they are the easiest to smack and the PC warriors can make the biggest noise.

Externally this does sweet **** all to the pies

Their fans back them regardless. Their sponsors aren’t dropping the biggest club in the land. The media will still kiss their a$$es and have them on ad nauseam.

They could not come out with a zero report after Heyyyyyyy Labamba made his accusations so this is the response. Token points that blame no one while admitting they haven’t been up to scratch. They will dribble out a “new” racial policy and all will be ok.

The outside world will continue to hate them but they thrive off that so it won’t bother them.

Personally think they are being thrown under the bus in this instance. They would be no better or worse than several other clubs but as the big boy they are the easiest to smack and the PC warriors can make the biggest noise.
Extremely predictable that you would come out and defend them. The review was independent and found fault

Why does it trigger you so badly?
It doesn't 'trigger' me at all. It might have triggered BRWB, possibly you, too. OK, that's a flippant response. The ABC races into accusations of Racism at the drop of a hat. It did the same thing a couple of weeks ago with the Siraj accusation. No evidence of any racist abuse at all, it didn't stop Auntie, though. A less flippant response is in post 1,280 in the Non-Afl Chat thread.

It doesn't 'trigger' me at all. It might have triggered BRWB, possibly you, too. OK, that's a flippant response. The ABC races into accusations of Racism at the drop of a hat. It did the same thing a couple of weeks ago with the Siraj accusation. No evidence of any racist abuse at all, it didn't stop Auntie, though. A less flippant response is in post 1,280 in the Non-Afl Chat thread.
Mark Stevens is chief AFL reporter for channel 7, and he rushed immediately to it being a "dark day in Australian sport". The cricket racism thing was universally condemned in Australian media before the facts came out, that wasn't just the ABC

The ABC just loves a headline with the word 'Racist' in it. Taking into account the authors of the report, the recommendations made and the publisher, the headline is no surprise, few, if any, organisations, let alone professional sporting organisations, in the State, would have attracted much different headlines. As to the implied criticism of Collingwood for holding the report for a month, if Collingwood commissioned and paid for the Report, then whether and if so, to whom, it chooses to publish is up to Collingwood.
Pretty sure I read somewhere that the consultant agreed to do the report but only on condition that it be made public. So it wouldn't be a case of whether or to whom but when. They held it over for a month, presumably so they could be well-prepared and on the front foot when it got to the media. I have no problem with that at all.

Anyway you're pretty good at hunting down the detail DM so I'll let you do the checking of all that!

Meanwhile here's another one to rustle your jimmies. Sorry DM but since you raised it I just couldn't resist!

But if you're implying that most organisations are like Collingwood then maybe your jimmies won't be quite so rustled after all?

Mark Stevens is chief AFL reporter for channel 7, and he rushed immediately to it being a "dark day in Australian sport". The cricket racism thing was universally condemned in Australian media before the facts came out, that wasn't just the ABC

I didn't read Stevens. If that's what he did then he's made himself appear foolish. The ABC journalist (I can't recall his/her name) had the resources and time to do a proper analysis. They just can't help themselves.

I didn't read Stevens. If that's what he did then he's made himself appear foolish. The ABC journalist (I can't recall his/her name) had the resources and time to do a proper analysis. They just can't help themselves.
So did Stevo, and every other journalist who made their statements. It's the state of modern journalism these days though - they'd rather be first to report and first to make a statement, than to get things right. Stevo never even cleared things up, he just went quiet on the matter after the very strong statements he'd made shaming the people who were ejected.

I think why some get so triggered by the reality of racism still being a problem in sports, politics or society in general is that it serves as a reality check that perhaps their own views and opinions are being left behind by a significant portion of humankind.

Just for some examples, if one were the type to insinuate that a certain non-white AFL player was being kept on a certain team's list due to marketing reasons, or calling a now vice-president a "dangerous black female", or to a) downplay this Collingwood report by insisting everywhere is like that so it's no big deal and b) put forth a belief that it's again no big deal because it's just 'PC left' being placated, or to quite obviously deliberately misspell names of people like Lumumba or Kamala Harris...You know, if one were to repeatedly make such posts on a forum (hypothetically speaking of course), then one might be the type to get upset at a report like this.

If findings like that delivered in the report on Collingwood make you feel targeted, then some introspection is probably needed. It's a very reasonable report that outlines some very real flaws with Collingwood, without demanding that everyone get sacked. This is not a case of cancel culture gone mad. Maybe Collingwood are the norm in the AFL, maybe they aren't. Maybe one way to find out is if every club did a similar report on how they're faring in this regard. And if this is the norm in AFL clubs? That doesn't mean it's all of a sudden ok. All the more reason for clubs to continue to try and better themselves.

ABC are no better or worse than every bother mainstream media with their “hidden” leanings. Personally find the commercial channels the worst by a long way these days

Extremely predictable that you would come out and defend them. The review was independent and found fault

You must have forgotten I don’t care what you think, you keep telling the clique you know someone that is relevant to every single thing that anyone ever writes in here.

Show me someone that says “I know someone that was there or works there or my “partner” was “ more than you?? 😂😂😂😂.

YAFOSFOAD

You must have forgotten I don’t care what you think, you keep telling the clique you know someone that is relevant to every single thing that anyone ever writes in here.

Show me someone that says “I know someone that was there or works there or my “partner was“ more than you?? 😂😂😂😂.

YAFOSFOAD
Where did I say that? For someone who sulks so much about people "putting words in your mouth" you seem to do that an awful lot. It is literally right there in the article that the report was independent and found fault. I don't even know how you could possibly have missed that fact.

Didn't you rant about having me on ignore btw? What happened to that?

Coz I was seeing what &&$@ kept lighting the thread up.

And if you can’t work out that comment was in reference to past posts I can’t help you.

Keep making up those people you know who were there EVERY SINGLE TIME. It’s quite amusing you go to such lengths to keep trying to be relevant in here.

Now I’m off so mutt doesn’t get upset, response all you like I won’t read it

1612165228389.png

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pretty sure I read somewhere that the consultant agreed to do the report but only on condition that it be made public.

It's in the Tracey Holmes article. She writes 'It is believed that a condition..' It's one thing to protect your sources but the passive voice trick means you can say just about anything you want.

But if you're implying that most organisations are like Collingwood then maybe your jimmies won't be quite so rustled after all?

It’s the other way ‘round. Collingwood is like most other organisations in Victoria. Holmes’ article isn’t the Report. She uses vague generalities and subjective conclusions, I hope the Report is much better

…Citing widespread evidence on the public record, and conversations with staff, players, ex-players and supporters, the review found Collingwood's response to racist incidents was "at best ineffective, or at worst exacerbated the impact of the racist incidents"

From those interviewed for the review, there emerged a sense that "dealing with racism was something that could be done when other things had been taken care of"

That could be said of just about any organisation in Victoria.

So did Stevo, and every other journalist who made their statements. It's the state of modern journalism these days though - they'd rather be first to report and first to make a statement, than to get things right. Stevo never even cleared things up, he just went quiet on the matter after the very strong statements he'd made shaming the people who were ejected.
The ABC is the National Broadcaster, taxpayer funded. It has to be better than sports journalists.

It's in the Tracey Holmes article. She writes 'It is believed that a condition..' It's one thing to protect your sources but the passive voice trick means you can say just about anything you want.

It’s the other way ‘round. Collingwood is like most other organisations in Victoria. Holmes’ article isn’t the Report. She uses vague generalities and subjective conclusions, I hope the Report is much better

…Citing widespread evidence on the public record, and conversations with staff, players, ex-players and supporters, the review found Collingwood's response to racist incidents was "at best ineffective, or at worst exacerbated the impact of the racist incidents"

From those interviewed for the review, there emerged a sense that "dealing with racism was something that could be done when other things had been taken care of"

That could be said of just about any organisation in Victoria.

Exactly

To call the pies out like they are the only organisation that has these issues is laughable and then to expect any result other than what was achieved in this instance is also laughable.

No one is defending the pies but I think it’s only fair we measure every club by the same standard and I’d bet they aren’t alone in the AFL or for that matter throughout Oz.

The ABC is the National Broadcaster, taxpayer funded. It has to be better than sports journalists.
That's the problem. Its competitors don't want it to be any better than them.

And the conservatives are only too happy to oblige!

That's the problem. Its competitors don't want it to be any better than them.

And the conservatives are only too happy to oblige!

It shouldn't be Murdoch Press v ABC. It should be Murdoch Press v Fairfax Media & the Guardian with the ABC neutral and accountable. That isn't Murdoch Press, Fairfax, Guardians' fault. It's the ABC's fault.

Externally this does sweet **** all to the pies

Well my mate has withdrawn his membership today so not all of their fans are backing them...

Very true. Doesn't help the quality, however, when the federal government is constantly slashing funding and getting their grubby fingers in what is supposed to be an impartial organisation

Radio National features and interviews are brilliant, so is music, the 2 Classical Music stations on FM, all night rock n roll. On straight News it's fine, Non urban stuff, Countrywide is fine. Sports commentary is ordinarily superior to Commercials. Jim Maxwell, Kerry O'Keefe, except they lose the cream, Tim Lane, Gerald Whately. It's politics that let them down, scandalously, unethically partisan. The other departments maintain quality, no matter what the budget. It isn't the Federal Govt that's the problem, it's management.

There are more lies told in here daily than Trump could ever hope to match.

One of my fav movies is The Usual Suspects... the irony is delicious

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back