2nds 2021 VFL and East Coast Second-Tier Competition

So the VFL starts 4 weeks after the AFL
That makes it harder for the fringe players to break into the seniors bar injuries

It did say in the Fox Sports article that practice matches would begin happening in March though so players in the reserves can still practice in match simulation against other clubs in the league.

Although, it doesn't go into detail about how serious and competitive the matches will be during that pre-season period.

Looking at our fixture for the upcoming AFL & AFLW season, I would the club to organise a triple header on March 20th at the GABBA (COVID permitted) to build the hype of AFL in Brisbane/QLD and for the club in itself, in which:

Mens VFL- Brisbane Lions Reserves vs. Sydney Swans Reserves (1.40pm) (Practice Match)
Womens AFL- Brisbane Lions vs. Collingwood Magpies (4.40pm) (Round 8)
Mens AFL- Brisbane Lions vs. Sydney Swans (7.15pm) (Round 1)

X AE A12

universalmagnetic
Jun 13, 2020
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
That makes it harder for the fringe players to break into the seniors bar injuries
One of the teams, I think Frankston, said they would release details of some vfl practice matches closer to season. Unlikely well get details from the the lions but Aspley should release similar and so may get some idea. Should still be some decent match time for guys

BangyBangy

BangyBangyMightyLoins
Oct 16, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I am sure if there is a Grand Final between Sydney and Brisbane it will still be played in Victoria - VFL it is!

Not gonna happen, because Sydney is such a ****weak club they won't make it.!! :D

On a serious note. I couldn't give a rat's tossbag what the league is called. Call it the Daniel Andrews Eddie Maguire league for all I care. Will be a significant step up compared to the NEAFL. Great for the development of our younger players.

Not gonna happen, because Sydney is such a ****weak club they won't make it.!! :D

On a serious note. I couldn't give a rat's tossbag what the league is called. Call it the Daniel Andrews Eddie Maguire league for all I care. Will be a significant step up compared to the NEAFL. Great for the development of our younger players.
I agree, I am happy for it to stay the VFL.

BangyBangy

BangyBangyMightyLoins
Oct 16, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
The finalists can play off for the Systemic Racism Cup.

It will be an historic & proud day for the first team to win this championship.

We might even get Adam Goodes in to present the award.... What do you think guys? Ummmm, no I don't think that's appropriate Ed.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
I am sure if there is a Grand Final between Sydney and Brisbane it will still be played in Victoria - VFL it is!
I know you’re not serious, but I’d be surprised if any of the old NEAFL teams make the final.

The Vic teams are topping up with ex AFL players, while I haven’t seen any of the four northern AFL teams announce a top up player. We’ll relay on top age academy kids.

Lions or GC might be possibilities if we have a relatively injury free season.

Dylan12

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea, Boston Red Sox
I know you’re not serious, but I’d be surprised if any of the old NEAFL teams make the final.

The Vic teams are topping up with ex AFL players, while I haven’t seen any of the four northern AFL teams announce a top up player. We’ll relay on top age academy kids.

Lions or GC might be possibilities if we have a relatively injury free season.
I can only assume that that talk about one of the delisted boys from last season playing with the Lions reserves didn't happen?

Must admit, I am surprised the club on the surface hasn't tried enticing any mature players to play in the reserves side and its not like there'd be a few out there that wouldn't jump at the opportunity to play under the noses of an AFL club, particularly those that still harbour a desire to get onto an AFL list.

BangyBangy

BangyBangyMightyLoins
Oct 16, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I can only assume that that talk about one of the delisted boys from last season playing with the Lions reserves didn't happen?

Must admit, I am surprised the club on the surface hasn't tried enticing any mature players to play in the reserves side and its not like there'd be a few out there that wouldn't jump at the opportunity to play under the noses of an AFL club, particularly those that still harbour a desire to get onto an AFL list.

I haven't been following all the rules that closely, do the AFL teams get to bring in additional players other than the 44 on their list?

Dylan12

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea, Boston Red Sox
I haven't been following all the rules that closely, do the AFL teams get to bring in additional players other than the 44 on their list?
Yes, but they are completely separate to the AFL list and would unlikely feature on the club's website. As an example, Steve Morris at Richmond finished up on their AFL list, stayed around to captain the VFL team for a few years and even the likes of Hugh Beasley (ex-Lions player) played with Richmond, but they don't train with the Richmond AFL list as the VFL teams trained at separate times.

Perhaps some clubs aren't equipped to mingle players particularly when those additional senior players would likely have a 9-5 job.

I just worry that if we have a few seniors injured that our reserves team with Academy top ups will be very junior against some pretty mature sides such as Williamstown, Port Melbourne that are littered with ex-AFL players.

Nonetheless, I'm looking forward to seeing the Lions reserves in Melbourne in the flesh on a regular basis.

BangyBangy

BangyBangyMightyLoins
Oct 16, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Yes, but they are completely separate to the AFL list and would unlikely feature on the club's website. As an example, Steve Morris at Richmond finished up on their AFL list, stayed around to captain the VFL team for a few years and even the likes of Hugh Beasley (ex-Lions player) played with Richmond, but they don't train with the Richmond AFL list as the VFL teams trained at separate times.

Perhaps some clubs aren't equipped to mingle players particularly when those additional senior players would likely have a 9-5 job.

I just worry that if we have a few seniors injured that our reserves team with Academy top ups will be very junior against some pretty mature sides such as Williamstown, Port Melbourne that are littered with ex-AFL players.

Nonetheless, I'm looking forward to seeing the Lions reserves in Melbourne in the flesh on a regular basis.

I understand your point & agree, but I'm still very happy with the league & what it will do for us. We'll pretty much be in the same situation as every other AFL side anyway, & that is what matters. Would rather have our developing players step up against quality ex afl players rather than go undefeated in the NEAFL.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers

I imagine we’ll primarily use our U19 academy players who went undrafted last year.

So just imagine we’re playing 8 draftees instead of 4.

Pity Collingwood has taken our top undrafted KPP to train with them during the preseason.

Nov 26, 2018
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
With the competition retaining the VFL name i suppose the existing website will continue
Never had a reason to check the site so don't know what sort of articles and game stats they provide
Will bookmark for now.
https://vfl.com.au/

Would not be hard to provide better information than the Lions Club did for the twos last season
Below ticket prices for the VFL in 2020. May give us an idea what to expect in 2021

ADMISSION PRICES For 2020

[TD valign="top"] General Admission (non-AFL Curtain Raisers) Home and Away [/TD]
[TD valign="top"] Adult [/TD][TD valign="top"]$10.00[/TD]

[TD valign="top"] Concession / Pensioner [/TD][TD valign="top"]$5.00[/TD]

[TD valign="top"] Visiting VFL Club Members on presentation of VFL Club Membership card and Concession / Pensioner [/TD][TD valign="top"]$5.00[/TD]

[TD valign="top"] Children 15 years and under [/TD][TD valign="top"]Free[/TD]

[TD valign="top"] AFL Members [/TD]

[TD valign="top"]AFL members of any category will be required to pay normal admittance price or contact their VFL or AFL Club to arrange a VFL membership.[/TD]

[TD valign="top"] AFL Curtain Raiser Matches [/TD]

[TD valign="top"]VFL Club members whose Club is playing away at an AFL venue will be require to purchase entrance tickets at AFL admittance prices unless otherwise advised.[/TD]
The above mentioned prices cannot be varied in anyway.

[TD valign="top"] No Admittance to Finals [/TD]

[TD valign="top"]No membership of any Club: AFL or VFL, or members of the AFL, will admit to the VFL Finals.[/TD]

Double-header VFL/VFLW games will be priced at the same general admission prices in 2019. Standalone VFLW games will still be free.

Tickets for the Grand Final will be Adults $20, Concession / Pensioner $15 and Kids U15 free at vfl.com.au/finals

Ralphy2017

Cancelled
Jul 16, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
yes it sure does. I know some posters have stated it is due to late finish of the Victorian (Melbourne club cricket season), but mid April... probably won't matter as the season will likely be interrupted by COVID, really hope I am wrong, but it does not take much for a couple of the premiers to close borders

Ralphy2017

Cancelled
Jul 16, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
It did say in the Fox Sports article that practice matches would begin happening in March though so players in the reserves can still practice in match simulation against other clubs in the league.

Although, it doesn't go into detail about how serious and competitive the matches will be during that pre-season period.

Looking at our fixture for the upcoming AFL & AFLW season, I would the club to organise a triple header on March 20th at the GABBA (COVID permitted) to build the hype of AFL in Brisbane/QLD and for the club in itself, in which:

Mens VFL- Brisbane Lions Reserves vs. Sydney Swans Reserves (1.40pm) (Practice Match)
Womens AFL- Brisbane Lions vs. Collingwood Magpies (4.40pm) (Round 8)
Mens AFL- Brisbane Lions vs. Sydney Swans (7.15pm) (Round 1)
Would be a great promotion for local followers, but it seems to me that there were a few times in 2019 the undefeated Lions reserves could have played curtain raisers for the main game and it only occurred on a couple of occasions, perhaps something to do with protecting the playing surface.

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
yes it sure does. I know some posters have stated it is due to late finish of the Victorian (Melbourne club cricket season), but mid April... probably won't matter as the season will likely be interrupted by COVID, really hope I am wrong, but it does not take much for a couple of the premiers to close borders
Agree, just about as close to a sure thing as you can get, from AFL level down.

Especially with the current metric of a single case shutting borders and causing lockdowns.

I get why they do it, but it's frustrating on so many levels.

Back