News Carlton Football Club: Debt free and record membership.

Remove this Banner Ad

That succession of Friday night games when the idjot Malthouse was bought into coach was truly embarrassing. However, the AFL isn't a charity and neither was FOXTV - TV scheduling was based on the fact that Carlton - even at its worst still had top3 TV audience stats - despite20 years of nuffery the supporter base remained very large and is now being converted in membership numbers as on field performance slowly improves - the membership numbers have improved the financial situation of the club.

The ratings are only good point in isolation.
Carlton continually have been gifted not only the higher rating time slots, but also against the teams that were rating well.
Even the old ing game of the season is a free hit which would rate regardless of teams (the sydney/gws game even had a decent rating -lower than the blues and tigers, but thats a given)

The ratings are only good point in isolation.
Carlton continually have been gifted not only the higher rating time slots, but also against the teams that were rating well.
Even the old ing game of the season is a free hit which would rate regardless of teams (the sydney/gws game even had a decent rating -lower than the blues and tigers, but thats a given)

I think a grand final 'replay' as season opener would be a valid alternative for sure.

Otherwise, who else would you suggest can be guaranteed to fill the MCG - every time - on a Thursday Night?
Essendon V Collingwood have Anzac Day - for some reason ...

Hawthorn V who would fill the MCG?

"Gifted" would indicate they didn't earn it through good ratings.

giphy.gif

I just don't get how people find this sort of stuff funny. Doesn't every club's blueprint and strategic plan include the aim of winning premierships? Why would any club be in the competition if it wasn't? What would you rather Carlton have as their strategic plan? Win 8 games? How do you think the players would feel about their environment if it didn't emanate such confidence?

Sure most club blueprints don't meet their targets, but there is just as much admiration for these targets simply being set. It shows that they take the sport seriously. I'd rather have my team now set the bar high and fail to reach it than treat the notion of a 17th premiership as being trivial.

And even if this was a meaningful response, it wasn't long ago that your team was copping the same reactions after years of mediocrity. And the fact they had the dominoes in the right places to achieve what they have is further proof that other teams can accomplish the same and anything can happen.

Just be grateful that your club is currently in their golden period and know that it won't last for much longer. All teams rise and fall over time.

You are not exactly gaining any points from this childish post.

Last edited:
This could be the start of good things for the Blues. Successful clubs get their house in order off the field for longer term success. They have shed the underperformers, now they need a bit of stability. Back their football dept, recruiting teams and players and take that next step. If they made the right decisions over the past few years they should make finals this year and then progress to contend in the next few. Can’t wait to see how they go.

I just don't get how people find this sort of stuff funny. Isn't every club's blueprint and strategic plan include the aim of winning premierships? Why would any club be in the competition if it wasn't? What would you rather Carlton have as their strategic plan? Win 8 games? How do you think the players would feel about their environment if it didn't emanate such confidence?

Sure most club blueprints don't meet their targets, but there is just as much admiration for these targets simply being set. It shows that they take the sport seriously. I'd rather have my team now set the bar high and fail to reach it than treat the notion of a 17th premiership as being trivial.

And even if this was a meaningful response, it wasn't long ago that your team was copping the same reactions after years of mediocrity. And the fact they had the dominoes in the right places to achieve what they have is further proof that other teams can accomplish the same and anything can happen.

Just be grateful that your club is currently in their golden period and know that it won't last for much longer. All teams rise and fall over time.

You are not exactly gaining any points from this childish post.

Your Carlton compatriots have no hesitation in reminding Essendon supporters how many days since we won a final.

Winning a premiership is what AFL is about

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Your Carlton compatriots have no hesitation in reminding Essendon supporters how many days since we won a final.

You make it sound as if "Carlton compatriots" are the only ones keeping count. Wasn't it a Richmond fan who managed the popular twitter account before being threatened by bombers fans into submission?

Yes, the count doesn't hold much relevancy to anything. However, it seems to provide an relatively more reasonable amusement factor compared to a club blueprint.

It's like people associating us with wooden spoons. Means nothing and wooden spoons aren't exactly real in sport. Just a metaphorical award symbolising punishment.
But people find amusement in it, and that amusement makes more sense.

Last edited:
Make and win finals and win premierships and then I will get all warm and fuzzy, not before, especially after some of the s**t football and stupid team selections I saw so often last year. On field success is where it is at for me.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You make it sound as if "Carlton compatriots" are the only ones keeping count. Wasn't it a Richmond fan who managed the popular twitter account before being threatened by bombers fans into submission?

Yes, the count doesn't hold much relevancy to anything. However, it seems to provide an relatively more reasonable amusement factor compared to a club blueprint.

It's like people associating us with wooden spoons. Means nothing and wooden spoons aren't exactly real in sport. Just a metaphorical award symbolising punishment.
But people find amusement in it, and that amusement makes more sense.

The Carlton clique are keeping count. They’ve no hesitation in dropping it in any thread remotely related to Essendon.

Am fully expecting a thread on the main board ‘celebrating’ 6000 days without a final.

Is sad but as you say, amuses the small minds

The Carlton clique are keeping count. They’ve no hesitation in dropping it in any thread remotely related to Essendon.

Am fully expecting a thread on the main board ‘celebrating’ 6000 days without a final.

Is sad but as you say, amuses the small minds

You still going on about the Carlton Clique, what is a Carlton Clique?

Do we really have to read you post the same irrelevant garbage in every thread?

I get that Carlton has done some serious damage to you at some point, but give it a rest now surely.

Obsessed, you are.

You still going on about the Carlton Clique, what is a Carlton Clique?

The same monotonous boring group of posters (aka ‘the Carlton Clique’) who supposedly support Carlton that are more focused on all things Essendon.

Funnily enough, a Carlton focused thread on the main board for 36 hours and barely any have shown up.

That is, the Carlton Clique.

Good step for the club, all that’s left is on field success.

Problem is, it looks like they are stuck in the same on field loop as Melbourne.

Good work Carlton but that a true powerhouse of the comp ever found itself in this position is an absolute indictment.
The problem was that we became a powerhouse on the back of a business/football model that was unworkable in the modern era and it took far too long for many in the club to realize it.

Whats this Carlton news? Like who cares? Shouldn't it be on the Carlton board? Who legit cares? I mean wasn't this the 'great' Carlton? You are celebrating a membership number basically half the afl hit 5 years ago and posting it on the main board as 'news'- isn't there a forum for club business news anyway? And the debt thing? Like, is this meant to warm my heart? Hearing North got out of debt with no Bruce Matheson and VISY help, pokies would be pretty cool. The fact Carlton have BEEN in debt since 1996 is actually astoundingly bad. I just suppose I gotta get used to the fact Carlton don't celebrate premierships anymore.

Other than a cheeky dig at Collingwood, just seems oddly out of place. 🤷‍♂️
Hey TM, we are now not reliant on the AFL. This was huge news for you blokes in the Gale growth plan and we have hit the same mark. Give us some significant flexibility to build off field and entrench the notion of the Home of AFLW. We had a very deep hole to extract ourselves from and noe present a strong on and off field presence in male and female football. I don’t dodge that some brown paper bag culture took place historically but, here we are today. Is it news, maybe not. Is it worth spruiking on an open forum chat. Absolutely!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back