Rumour Tom Scully retiring due to personal issue

Remove this Banner Ad

You predicted us going 3 from 4 then COVID hitting and us failing to do well in the single hub 1 hour away from where we trained and played while every other club got to go to resorts with decent facilities?

Holy fu** !!

Hawthorn supporters still blaming COVID19 for their rubbish season - crazy.

Every single club was impacted in some way, it's only the extent that differs, but I can pick out a host of other reasons why Hawthorn went through a poor year.

- No viable forward targets. Patton was often injured, TOB is no good, and Lewis is still maturing as a player (and had injuries?)
- One-paced midfield. Mitchell, O'Meara and Worpel is a good trio, but largely play a similar role. Burgoyne is now declining, and other dynamic players are either returning from injury (Impey) or still developing (Day, Scrimshaw)
- General decline following an extremely successful era. Happens to almost every successful team, and it's extremely difficult to transition through players without impacting form. Hawthorn have been mid-range apart from an outlier season in 2018 since their premiership years, so I slip down the ladder isn't wholly unexpected.

Hawthorn supporters often point to their game against Brisbane as some pertinent example of what they'd expect from the rest of the year, but results also happen in isolation and there shouldn't be much emphasis placed on a single home game played a few hours after they'd announced the season would be postponed. Carlton also managed to beat Brisbane on our home deck the year prior - Brisbane are still a young team on their way up, and can be beaten.

Many predicted Hawthorn to regress at some point - their list dynamic wasn't conducive to another tilt - and it was only a matter of time before it happened. COVID probably helped fast-track that, but finishing outside the 8 in 2019 was pretty reflective of their prospects going forward.

Last edited:

Who would have thought Hawthorn picking up these injured GWS re-treads on good money would blow up on them? Hate to see it :)
I’m not sure we’ll recover from hitting the cap floor with the use of a 4th round draft pick.

It will be in the cap but the club probably saves $500k or $600k.

We are probably going to have huge cap space next year given we got Phillips with Collingwood paying some of the pay and no other big names with heaps of retirements last year and maybe more this year.

We are 7th oldest this year. Probably 7th youngest next year.

In an 18 team comp, that's a movement of 2 positions.

Yeah, he plays on the wing because he can run all day. He is, or at least was pre-ankle injury, an elite runner.

I'm not sure what is so out there about my post. For his Melbourne/GWS career he averaged 21 touches a game. Good but not elite. His peak was at GWS in 2016 when he got 25 touches and a goal a game. A player like Scully should be racking up 30 disposal games for fun. His Hawthorn output has been nothing special, hence people are talking about him as though he is no great loss to the team if he does retire.

I'm not disagreeing with you he could have been better, but I think using disposals as an arbiter for a winger is fraught. Scully has a different game than, for example, Isaac Smith. Issy was a burst player who broke the lines and was always presenting. Scully was all about wearing out the opponent and spent a helluva lot of time running forwards and backwards to draw players and create space for the rest of the team. In that respect the short quarters last year hurt him more than most as his endurance became less of a factor.

Word on the street ( up here ) is he's played away from home.
Is this the “Patton’s sister” rumor that got pulled apart about a week ago?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm not disagreeing with you he could have been better, but I think using disposals as an arbiter for a winger is fraught. Scully has a different game than, for example, Isaac Smith. Issy was a burst player who broke the lines and was always presenting. Scully was all about wearing out the opponent and spent a helluva lot of time running forwards and backwards to draw players and create space for the rest of the team. In that respect the short quarters last year hurt him more than most as his endurance became less of a factor.

Smith is an interesting comparison. I doubt they played many games together (any?) but Smith is very damaging player. Loping quick runner who can kick 55-60m. Scully as you describe sounds like Chris Masten. Important role in the team but not going to put you into star conversations. And 100% agree that the shortened games took away from the endurance runners of the league. Great for the older players and explosive athletes though.

What junk. He was one of, if not the best junior in the country and showed more than just glimpses of elite talent at AFL level. Melbourne just did everything they could to stall his development and the ankle injury finished it off.
His first two years at Melbourne were very good averaging over 21 disposals from his first 31 games, which is why GWS through the kitchen sink at him.

Dunce.

Smith is an interesting comparison. I doubt they played many games together (any?)

19 together in 2019

11 together in 2020 (R1-11 before Smith was injured and missed the rest of the season).

The sad part is - between the man on the mark rule chance and the return to 20 minute quarters, Scully could have made a real impact this year.

It will be in the cap but the club probably saves $500k or $600k.

We are probably going to have huge cap space next year given we got Phillips with Collingwood paying some of the pay and no other big names with heaps of retirements last year and maybe more this year.

We are 7th oldest this year. Probably 7th youngest next year.
Cap space isn't relevant if nobody wants to come over to your club.
Ask North fans.

Is this the “Patton’s sister” rumor that got pulled apart about a week ago?
s**t i hadn't heard that but where there's smoke....

His missus seems a bit of alright though, might have a word to my source to grease the wheels !

Jon O’Rourke
Tom Scully
Jon Patton

Has there been another team more royaly reamed by another club than we were by GWS..I thought us with hay and Thompson trades with north or pick 1 trade with dockers would be hard to beat but here we are...

Before our supporters try justifying “but we only traded a fourth rounder for Scully and Patton”... we are also paying them big $$$ to consistently do f*** all!

O’Rourke was also traded for pick 19!!
I'd suggest it was your own list managers who reamed you but ok.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back