Delisted #28: Ned Cahill - Not offered a new contract, thanks Ned! - 13/8

28 - [PLAYERCARD]Ned Cahill[/PLAYERCARD].jpg

Contract Status: Not offered another contract

Last Game Played: Round 14, 2021 (omit)
Injury Status: n/a

Last edited:
3-4 weeks with a quad strain
While the Bombers had no major injury concerns out of Sunday's loss to St Kilda, first-year forward Ned Cahill suffered a quad strain in the reserves' scratch match against the Bulldogs on Saturday.

Rundle said he expected the 19-year-old to return within a month.

"Ned suffered a quadricep injury in the match simulation. An MRI has shown us it's only a minor quad strain, so it will probably be a three to four-week recovery," he said.

"We're going to take a fairly conservative approach with him, but he should be up and running by the end of the week."

We have 4 games in the next 18 days with fixturing, means he'd be touch and go for round 17 (24 days, 3.5 weeks) and possible for round 18 but with no or very little time in the scratchies leading up to it. So I guess that's season done for him, short of a finals appearance.

blitzer

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 27, 2006
House
AFL Club
Essendon
Unfortunate but its only his first year and I reckon he showed plenty. Good chance to become a regular in years to come. Has genuine smarts about him. I'll enjoy watching him progress over the next few years.

Think his way forward will be as a winger. Has something about him though, hopefully he gets the chance to play plenty of VFL next year.

I’d be very surprised if that’s what he turns into. Can clearly see that he’s got genuine forward craft and knows how to use his body to protect the drop zone and find space.

The pressure element and his repeat efforts will be where he has to improve to have a career.

Running, rejoins main training next week.

“Ned is tracking well following his quadriceps strain. He is building his running volumes in rehab and is moving well. He is also working on his quad strengthening and given he is a young player we are taking the opportunity to do extra core strengthening specifically targeting the hip and pelvis region,” Rundle said.

“We expect he will integrate back into full training the week following the Geelong game.”

Also doing core strength stuff... wonder if conditioning is focusing on eliminating OP from the playing list.

Exciting youngster Ned Cahill could return by season's end, with the small forward set to integrate back into full training next week.

“Ned is tracking well following his quadriceps strain. He is building his running volumes and intensity in rehab and is moving well. He is also working on his quad strengthening and given he is a first-year player we are taking the opportunity to do extra core strengthening, specifically targeting the hip and pelvis region,” Rundle said.

“We expect he will integrate back into full training next week following the Geelong game.”

Reintegrating with main training and should be available to play against Port
"Ned's going very well. It's just over three weeks since he injured his quadricep. He had a solid training session on the weekend with Jayden, and he'll integrate fully with the group this week. Provided all goes well following our main skills session, he'll be available to play as well."

May 6, 2007
South East Suburbs
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspurs, Melbourne Vixen
Keen to see what Ned can bring to the AFL side in 2021. With our copycat version of Richmonds game plan set to be in full swing, a bloke with a high endurance base is going to be worth it's weight in gold imho. Points for having the nous to kick a goal and with the long term injury to Moz, a spot is there for the taking.

Apr 23, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Keen to see what Ned can bring to the AFL side in 2021. With our copycat version of Richmonds game plan set to be in full swing, a bloke with a high endurance base is going to be worth it's weight in gold imho. Points for having the nous to kick a goal and with the long term injury to Moz, a spot is there for the taking.

Potentially could play a similar role to what Snelling has been, seems pretty clever but haven't seen that acceleration the genuine small forwards usually have.

DapperJong

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts SFA Good Friday Appeal Spooderman Meme Medal Pantskyle BeanCoiNFT Investor
Feb 11, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Juventus
A prime example of fans wanting every recruit to be a Sam Walsh.

Wait, what?

Now that you’re training with the backs, what’s the one thing you’ve had to really grasp in learning the craft of the role?

“Just defending. You do a fair bit of defending as a small forward in trying to apply pressure, but now it’s about getting to know the different running patterns. I’ve got to have a completely different mindset as a backman. I’ve got a lot of good boys down there (to learn from) in ‘Chook’ (Cale Hooker), Jordan Ridley, Mason Redman, Aaron Francis and Marty Gleeson. They’re all helping me out heaps.”

What triggered your switch from a forward to a defender?

“I think it was more (to do with) a few of the smaller backs leaving (over the off-season), especially the ones running off half-back. It was just something that came up when I had a conversation with Truck and he thought I’d be the right man for it. I’m just giving it a red-hot crack right now and hopefully it helps develop my game and I can cement a spot in the backline.”

What attributes do you bring as a half-back?

“The two main ones would be my work-rate and my skills, like my kicking. I worked pretty hard over the off-season on my running and getting my body in pretty good nick and to a fitness level that I can utilise on the field. I worked pretty closely with Sean Murphy (head of high performance) on that and set out some goals last year and came back and hit those targets. With my skills, my kicking is pretty good, and you get more opportunity to kick off half-back than as a small forward.”

Oct 6, 2020
Narre Warren South
AFL Club
Essendon
Are we just turning the team into an army of Cale Hooker style swiss army knives?

Back