Analysis Is it acceptable for AFL clubs to be politically biased?

Remove this Banner Ad

The difference is, indigenous disadvantage will be tackled anyway by far more important institutions than the AFL. The reason Australians commit to ending racism will remain regardless of the AFL's involvement. The factors exacerbating racism will exist regardless of what the AFL does. And don't think for one minute that this is not an exercise of maximising on an opportunity on the AFL's behalf!!

I'm not hipster, skinny or soy latte sipping but I can see what happened in Australia was an invasion.

Invasion dictionary definition:
an occasion when an army or country uses force to enter and take control of another country

The UK was not in control of Australia before 1788. Armed British Navy ships carrying Royal Marines arrived to claim the land for the UK and claim possession on the 26th of January 1788. Over the next 150 years (there were arranged massacres of indigenous in the 1920's)an estimated 100,000 minimum Indigenous were killed in this conflict, both in pitched battles and deliberate massacres. They claimed colonial possession of the land and used force against the Indigenous population to enforce that. I can't see how that cannot be described as an invasion.

The losses in the Frontier Wars more than the loss of Australian military personnel in war since Federation. We pull out all stops on Anzac day (Lest we Forget) but heads in the sand on the Frontier Wars (Best we Forget).
If you read my post you will see that I agree with most of what you say. However, I believe the term "Invasion Day" is a misleading assessment of what happened. In fact, I think it is provocative to the good, ordinary Australians who have a deep sympathy for indigenous recognition and reconciliation. The overwhelming number of Australians were glad to see the PM at the time apologise for past wrongs. What is it that the proponents of "Invasion Day" want? Do they want us to all pack up and go back to where our ancestors originated? Like that's going to happen. We don't hold current day Germans responsible for what happened during WW2.

Fair enough. If that's what's needed then get rid of ANZAC Day as well.

The difference is, ANZAC Day will be honoured anyway by far more important institutions than the AFL. The reason Australians have celebrated ANZAC Day will remain regardless of the AFL's involvement. The public holiday will exist regardless of what the AFL does. And don't think for one minute that this is not an exercise of maximising on an opportunity on the AFL's behalf!!

This word celebrated is everything wrong with the current ANZAC Day. It's supposed to be a commemoration, not a celebration. ANZAC Day is supposed to remind people that war should be avoided at all costs and there are never winners, only losers.

Likewise if we decide to tear each other apart over an invasion 200 years ago or insist others can't call themselves married because you patented the word.

The whole point of ANZAC commemoration is supposed to be about remembering that on both ends of the barrel are people just like you and I who deserve our respect and dignity and if we can do something to make their lives better that would be a good thing. So if Indigenous round doesn't float your boat, let those who appreciate it enjoy it. If you don't like gay marriage, don't marry a gay person.

The whole hoopla about how great our service-people are which has taken over in the last 20 years (not because of the AFL) really takes away from the purpose and intent of the day which is to recognise how fragile and fleeting life is and just get on with enjoying it and don't let division take us over.

If you read my post you will see that I agree with most of what you say. However, I believe the term "Invasion Day" is a misleading assessment of what happened. In fact, I think it is provocative to the good, ordinary Australians who have a deep sympathy for indigenous recognition and reconciliation. The overwhelming number of Australians were glad to see the PM at the time apologise for past wrongs. What is it that the proponents of "Invasion Day" want? Do they want us to all pack up and go back to where our ancestors originated? Like that's going to happen. We don't hold current day Germans responsible for what happened during WW2.

And who are these people?

I'm one of them. Most people I know feel the same way. If you don't, that's your prerogative, but don't dismiss others views because they don't align with yours.

I asked a question, what is a good ordinary Australian? What characteristics do they have?

I didn't comment on what you felt about the date, I am curious about the term you used.

I asked a question, what is a good ordinary Australian? What characteristics do they have?

I didn't comment on what you felt about the date, I am curious about the term you used.
I'm sure you're old enough, wise enough, and experienced enough to be able to answer your own question.

I’ve noticed a recent trend of AFL clubs making comment on political issues, such as Australia Day etc.

Is it fair for them to make comment on issues that over 50% of their members disagree with?

Who decides to post on behalf of the club on this stuff?

Discuss.
Many AFL clubs have a strong connection with indigenous communities and a high proportion of players are indigenous.

Organisations are often influenced by the makeup of their workplaces.

so really - it’s not that weird that many clubs may have strong views on things that affect their playing group and that their views may differ from the “general public”

To add - the premise of this thread seems to be that “going along with Australia Day” is politically neutral

Foucault famously said that “everything is dangerous”. People fear this possibility. So many people are just plain lazy or so fragile that they cannot stand being questioned or made to have their small little lives shook a bit

it’s weak

PS of course it was an invasion. Are people that sensitive they can’t hack that? Weird.

“oh it’s offensive to me”

How? I have some Norman French heritage. I am not terribly upset when they say Willy invaded England because it’s clear as day Willy did.

All these paranoid and fragile whities having a sook. Grow up. Own that it’s one part of your heritage. Suck it up

I know what I think about your statement, but I am quite curious to know what you think. No problem if you don't want to share.
Not you obviously 747.

This is the same poster who said he was entitled to his opinion but completely obliterates alternative views by saying bullshit like “ordinary Australians” ie people who think otherwise are either extraordinary or not Australian.

FFS. Mindless

Not you obviously 747.

This is the same poster who said he was entitled to his opinion but completely obliterates alternative views by saying bullshit like “ordinary Australians” ie people who think otherwise are either extraordinary or not Australian.

FFS. Mindless
Good one sixpence

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm one of them. Most people I know feel the same way. If you don't, that's your prerogative, but don't dismiss others views because they don't align with yours.

So the people that think like you are the “good, ordinary Australians”. What about the people that don’t think like you? Are they not good, ordinary Australians?

I’ve noticed a recent trend of AFL clubs making comment on political issues, such as Australia Day etc.

Is it fair for them to make comment on issues that over 50% of their members disagree with?

Discuss.
You could say the same about BF forums. 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

I'm guessing the aflw pride round is triggering the homophobic right wing snowflakes on here.

Who am I kidding. They're not even watching because they oppose the notion of women's sport.

I'm watching. ;)

Discuss.
It's called showing leadership to do the right thing.
Too many people like to ignore racism against Indigenous people and the climate change reality by saying 'It's too political'.
It's a cop out really.
If you think the status quo is all good then your out of step with Indigenous people and scientists.
Collingwood have disgraced themselves and Eddie is showing appalling leadership.
The date of Australia day is offensive to Indigenous people and it's their country.
Sounds like you're not happy with something ?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back