PC Pc Gaming/building thread

View attachment 1041061

should be on its way next week! yeah, there's one kinda important component not included but i blame nvidia rather than my impatience, ha. and i realise the 5800 is the worst value option, but it's the only one that turns up in stock ever.

Anticipation must be exciting.

I want to pull the trigger on my idea, but trying to hold off until either late Feb or late March. The temptation to do it sooner might prove to be too strong though.

Long Live HFC

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 30, 2010
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Anticipation must be exciting.

it is, but it would be a whole lot better if the system was complete :/

Any particular reason you went with that case?

not especially; i like white cases and i wanted something with plenty of room (as i have no idea what i might want to put in it in a few years). figured i'd get something that could fit a 360mm cooler as my trusty i5-4670K sometimes has a bit of a tantrum in the warmer months.

Jun 25, 2011
Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
And HUB wondered why NVIDIA were going to drop them for their "editorial direction". Emphasis on editorials rather than reviews. It was always to do with their Twitter posting, and never anything to do with their reviews and something they were always disingenuous about.

an article in a newspaper or other periodical or on a website presenting the opinion of the publisher, writer, or editor.

This is a completely unnecessary and low rent Tweet unless that was exactly their intent.

And HUB wondered why NVIDIA were going to drop them for their "editorial direction". Emphasis on editorials rather than reviews. It was always to do with their Twitter posting, and never anything to do with their reviews and something they were always disingenuous about.

This is a completely unnecessary and low rent Tweet unless that was exactly their intent.

What did they do now?

Jun 25, 2011
Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
What did they do now?

Had a go at a streamer for a clearly disclosed paid advertisement (not uncommon for streamers or tech channels) because of HUB's/Steve's personal crusade against everything RT. They can do it with impunity now though because of big bad NVIDIA after last time.

I booted up Unity for the first time on the new PC to have a play around with a sample scene and ray tracing. I can see where NVIDIA are coming from with their developer angle. Just reading through these docs you can see the benefits and how easy it. No longer have to bake or stick light probes and stuff around anywhere. Not that I'd ever make anything with it (not that I'd ever finish a project anyway lol) because it would be pigeonholing too much, but once there is the hardware for it you can see how attractive for developers it will be even with the non-Nvidia API version.

Long Live HFC

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 30, 2010
AFL Club
Hawthorn
managed to snag an aorus master 3080 for "only" $300 more than RRP. pushed me over budget but you gotta do what you gotta do. and that's hardly the worst markup i've been seeing.

hornetswce

Club Legend
Nov 14, 2014
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Have I got any chance of getting a 3060 in February? Asked for vouchers to PLE for my birthday so unfortunately I’m locked in there, are there waiting lists or something?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Have I got any chance of getting a 3060 in February? Asked for vouchers to PLE for my birthday so unfortunately I’m locked in there, are there waiting lists or something?

Honestly? No. You aren't a chance of anything for a good while yet most likely. Plus, the prices have just increased even further.

Mar 28, 2006
POLICE STATE
AFL Club
Collingwood
Just ordered new PC - 3080 w/ Ryzen 5 3600. I mostly play games from my backlog (circa 2015 currently) - so I'll be good for a while.

Upgrading from GTX970 w/ i5-6400 - this baby served me well but been having random weird hard reboots during games lately (dodgy PSU?) and not really worth fixing/upgrading. I'll just use it for study and programming.

Jun 25, 2011
Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
Just ordered new PC - 3080 w/ Ryzen 5 3600. I mostly play games from my backlog (circa 2015 currently) - so I'll be good for a while.

Upgrading from GTX970 w/ i5-6400 - this baby served me well but been having random weird hard reboots during games lately (dodgy PSU?) and not really worth fixing/upgrading. I'll just use it for study and programming.

That's quite a jump! Congrats.

biaseddustyfan

|17🏆|18🏆|19🏆|20🏆|21🏆|22🏆|23🏆|24🏆|25🏆|
May 15, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Dusty
can't believe how much of a joke the stock levels still are on AMD CPU's and all the GPU's. not to mention a bunch of the 3080's that you can't even buy anyway got bumped up by $100-300 in the last week wtf. seems like gigabyte is the only manufacturer getting any 3080's into AU and it's like 2 at a time lel

Feb 28, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Baltimore Ravens, Atletico
not to mention a bunch of the 3080's that you can't even buy anyway got bumped up by $100-300 in the last week wtf.
The current global semi conductor shortage + incoming an price hike for GDDR6/GDDR6X memory modules = even higher GPU prices to come I'd expect

Managed to snag an EVGA 3070 FTW 3 Ultra for $929 through my local PLE, (long time customer they look after me).

Is a nice upgrade from my GTX 1080 for 1440p gaming.

hornetswce

Club Legend
Nov 14, 2014
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
can't believe how much of a joke the stock levels still are on AMD CPU's and all the GPU's. not to mention a bunch of the 3080's that you can't even buy anyway got bumped up by $100-300 in the last week wtf. seems like gigabyte is the only manufacturer getting any 3080's into AU and it's like 2 at a time lel

I’ve given up, gonna get a new set of golf clubs instead.

Back