Official Club Stuff From The President - Club officially debt free 1st Feb 2021!!

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't mean to be cynical...old habits and all...debt free is grouse, but where has the $4m come from?

We had the money to pay off the debt last year, however, due to covid, we chose to hold on to it so that we didn't need to borrow any more moula from our AFL Overlords.
As time passed last year we realised that financially we were coping and didn't need to dive too deep into our residual kitty and hence had the money to pay off the long term liability.

which makes sense with the “Carlton has told the afl we are no longer an afl assisted club rhetoric” .....

Just passing on what was told to me by someone in the back office when I was at the club the other day. Could have done it earlier but chose to see out what COVID had in store. As I mentioned, a lot of other clubs didn't have the ability to what we did so well. Well done Blues

This is good news.

That said I dont have any issue with debt either so long as it can be managed. It is a part of life for thousands of years and without it we are probably still living in caves.

The only debt that bothers me Carlton wise and I doubt will ever be paid back is the moral one the AFL owe us for what they did to the club in the early 2000's.

This is good news.

That said I dont have any issue with debt either so long as it can be managed. It is a part of life for thousands of years and without it we are probably still living in caves.

The only debt that bothers me Carlton wise and I doubt will ever be paid back is the moral one the AFL owe us for what they did to the club in the early 2000's.
Best best way is to win games, Premierships (multiple), return to having the largest membership in the competition, and the AFL won't be able to do enough for us.

Best best way is to win games, Premierships (multiple), return to having the largest membership in the competition, and the AFL won't be able to do enough for us.

AFL will always look after the struggling darling clubs (StKilda) and interstate pets (GWS, GC, etc.) Blues will never get looked after by the AFL. Sorry to disappoint.

AFL will always look after the struggling darling clubs (StKilda) and interstate pets (GWS, GC, etc.) Blues will never get looked after by the AFL. Sorry to disappoint.
You want your club "looked after"?

We have one of the largest supporter bases in the country, top two with the filth and the dopers coming in a far third. Supporter base != Membership base unfortunately. However, with the club on the improve, I think that a lot of the supporter base might start considering jumping up to membership status... like happens with so many supporters when their clubs start doing well in the league... except for St Kilda., their numbers just stay depressingly low!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We have one of the largest supporter bases in the country, top two with the filth and the dopers coming in a far third. Supporter base != Membership base unfortunately. However, with the club on the improve, I think that a lot of the supporter base might start considering jumping up to membership status... like happens with so many supporters when their clubs start doing well in the league... except for St Kilda., their numbers just stay depressingly low!
110 per cent agree with the first sentence.

Whatever we have endured has been our fault, nothing to do with the AFL

The breaches of the salary cap were absolutely our doing and we deserved to be punished, I don't think anybody would argue with that. The penalties which were handed out were way over the top, no club before us or afterwards has been penalised to the point that they went within an ace of folding as happened to us.
That there were those at AFL house who had waited for the opportunity to smash Carlton and who took such delight in doing so was disgraceful and not the way that a sporting body should operate.

The breaches of the salary cap were absolutely our doing and we deserved to be punished, I don't think anybody would argue with that. The penalties which were handed out were way over the top, no club before us or afterwards has been penalised to the point that they went within an ace of folding as happened to us.
That there were those at AFL house who had waited for the opportunity to smash Carlton and who took such delight in doing so was disgraceful and not the way that a sporting body should operate.
Our problem was we were too proud to rebuild the hard way for a long time and when we did decide to do it, 10-12 years had passed.

Our problem was we were too proud to rebuild the hard way for a long time and when we did decide to do it, 10-12 years had passed.

Sure, but this is a totally unrelated issue to the one that I was discussing, this failure kept us uncompetitive and unsuccessful, it wasn't what almost sent us to the wall initially, that was the penalties.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back