Oppo Camp Non Geelong football (AFL) discussion 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's not my definition ...

do you regret it?
Not so much regret it but as I said it's among a lot of things I would not do today.Remember the days when a coaches would drag you even in under 13s for not dumping a kid into the deck with intent in a tackle? rates the same.

Did anyone play against Joeys? Not racial but I admit I used to sledge them hard, especially in juniors.
But everyone did.

oh the good old days i loved fighting and playing footy so much fun you would play some sides and you knew it was going to be on lol
Yeah fights were the best. Definitely the funnest part of footy.
They were kinda rare though when I was playing. Bout a couple of times a year but you'd talk about those couple of times all the time .

I've gotta say your a better man than I. Thats for sure. I actually had never really heard the term redneck till probably the late 90's.
There wasn't that much racial sh*t going on when I was playing footy though. A bit but not much.
I remember as a kid going to a Cats v Essendon game. (The Gaz goal from the boundary game)
And some of our fans were just racially giving it to Cockatoo Collins and Long.
I said nothing. But no-one did.

There wasn't a ton of racial stuff going on when I was playing footy either, maybe because there weren't many black (and zero Asian) kids playing footy in the league I played in at that time. But I did see it on the field, even in juniors. I didn't condone it as a kid and I still don't.

Drunkcat mentioned Italian and Greek kids being called 'wog' a lot in his comp and I gotta admit that I saw plenty of that, mainly amongst the Italian and Greek kids themselves, but there were plenty of Anglos who got in on that - there didn't seem to be any issue there though.

Also though, like I said earlier, one of my best mates at the first club I played for was a black kid (I always thought his family was from somewhere in the Carribean, a quick Google suggests his parents might have actually been from Sth Africa), apart from being a gun footballer we were genuinely good mates and I saw him upset more than once from his teammates making moronic racial jokes at his expense - he had the balls to stand up to the group and tell them that he didn't appreciate it, but like I said, hard to change the culture when even the coach was getting in on it.

Not so much regret it but as I said it's among a lot of things I would not do today.Remember the days when a coaches would drag you even in under 13s for not dumping a kid into the deck with intent in a tackle? rates the same.

Fair enough.

None of our coaches taught us that, but at Gembrook we were told "one in, all in'' i.e. if a blue started everyone was expected to fly the flag.

Yeah fights were the best. Definitely the funnest part of footy.
They were kinda rare though when I was playing. Bout a couple of times a year but you'd talk about those couple of times all the time .
Haha you did was fun back then we had a couple of all ins with the crowd in u15s used to be real hate against some sides

Haha you did was fun back then we had a couple of all ins with the crowd in u15s used to be real hate against some sides
They were the very best. When the crowd got in.
Never had one myself, but went to a game in Winchelsea to watch my mates Dad once and every player and most of the crowd were all blueing.
It was so awesome.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They were the very best. When the crowd got in.
Never had one myself, but went to a game in Winchelsea to watch my mates Dad once and every player and most of the crowd were all blueing.
It was so awesome.
Did they carry on latter at the top pub I might have been there.

Early 70's actually..I was present in anti apartheid demonstrations at Qld University in 1973...and I recall sanctions had been applied to SA by the Australian Govt by then..so the issue of racism was on the agenda way before Brereton's time. But racism is an insidious condition, and back then it was considered a real, but relatively minor issue by many in the general community.....no better illustrated in fact by Eddie Maguire, 50 years later.

The accusation that Eddie is a dinosaur with respect to this issue is indisputable IMO. He is in fact a mirror image of 70's/80's mainstream attitudes to racism.

I might add I worked for 3 years in Cape Town in the early 2000's....At that time, South Africa still had a mighty long way to go as far as racism was concerned.

People need to understand what McGuire is, and who he wants to be.

He's first and foremost a frustrated fan. A wannabe. Desperately wants to be a star Collingwood player, but being fat and untalented that was never going to happen. So the next best thing - journalist. In the late 1980s. Heavy, heavy boys' club. Perfect for him. Then gets into footy media. Even better. Even more of a boys' club. Then gets involved with a footy club, even better again.

Life to him, and to half the cretins in the footy media, is either the bar or a locker room. That's all he understands. It's actually great that he's president at another club. It's hypocrisy in 100 foot high letters.

I don't get why Harry Lumumba did not speak out and say something when he was at training at the time and was being called "chimp". He has always been a fiercely proud and independent person. It would have been in his nature to voice his anger/frustrations to being called such a thing.
I thought he went to buckley to complain about it, and buckley told him to harden up?

I think McGuire it is similar to Elliot at Carlton - good at the start and in the middle - and a shambles going out - and as for his credibility - well it is pretty similar to your interest rates on your term deposits - next to nothing and could go into negative territory soon

When he hosted football shows - CH 9 and Fox - i quite liked and enjoyed him

I didnt like him calling games - because he had the handbrake on certain teams during the game - be hated Rich and Carlton - if Geel and Haw were getting towelled up he loved it - and even StKilda had a big win a few years back - and he had to bring up their 26 wooden spoons or whatever - couldnt help himself . And i can remember way back the Eagles under John Worsfold copped a 100 pt hammering and Eddie was dribbling with joy

The other club president who called games of AFL ( and it is an absolute joke that any of them are allowed to do that ) J Brayshaw - deep down he might hate certain clubs as well - however you could never pick that up in his calls - and no matter who the team was - if they were playing well he would be complimentary to them - and they wernt back handed compliments like McGuires .

The other club president who called games of AFL ( and it is an absolute joke that any of them are allowed to do that ) J Brayshaw - deep down he might hate certain clubs as well - however you could never pick that up in his calls - and no matter who the team was - if they were playing well he would be complimentary to them - and they wernt back handed compliments like McGuires .

I think Brayshaw in a way is even worse. He's an even more desperate fanboy if such a thing was possible.

All you ever need to know about how the integrity of the competition - genuine integrity that is, not the media-spun version - is demonstrated perfectly when those two are allowed anywhere near a microphone.

I think Brayshaw in a way is even worse. He's an even more desperate fanboy if such a thing was possible.

All you ever need to know about how the integrity of the competition - genuine integrity that is, not the media-spun version - is demonstrated perfectly when those two are allowed anywhere near a microphone.
At least Eddie got to where he has on his own.
Brayshaw only has through Nepotism, wealth and sucking up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back