Official Club Stuff From The President - Club officially debt free 1st Feb 2021!!

Blue and Blue

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 29, 2018
On the glory road
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Everton
Our problem was we were too proud to rebuild the hard way for a long time and when we did decide to do it, 10-12 years had passed.
There is some truth in this though it oversimplifies things I feel, but the damage of both the fine and no decent recruits for that period was a ridiculously harsh over reaction. No other clubs have been punished like that. If it happens again to some club I expect them also to take many long years to get back.

Nov 13, 2015
In Transit
AFL Club
Carlton
The breaches of the salary cap were absolutely our doing and we deserved to be punished, I don't think anybody would argue with that. The penalties which were handed out were way over the top, no club before us or afterwards has been penalised to the point that they went within an ace of folding as happened to us.
That there were those at AFL house who had waited for the opportunity to smash Carlton and who took such delight in doing so was disgraceful and not the way that a sporting body should operate.

A penalty has to be a deterrent. What the club did amounted to fraud and people were lucky they weren't charged as such and jailed.

From that moment on we continued to be arrogant, still thumbing our nose at a rebuild, a rebuild that if we had undertaken earlier, would not have seen us endure the last 2 decades

A penalty has to be a deterrent. What the club did amounted to fraud and people were lucky they weren't charged as such and jailed.

From that moment on we continued to be arrogant, still thumbing our nose at a rebuild, a rebuild that if we had undertaken earlier, would not have seen us endure the last 2 decades

They very nearly smashed us out of existence, that isn't a deterrent, that was vindictive. Why didn't they deal with Essendon as harshly over the drug scandal? They knew what they did to us was over the top and they weren't going to do it again.

Blue and Blue

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 29, 2018
On the glory road
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Everton
Damn right gab all this moderate stuff belies the reality as far as I am concerned. We were used as a deterrant to the other clubs that were doing the same thing. That reality is well documented though denied naturally.

Anyway lets hope we are finally able to use onfield to restore the pride of yesteryear and money in the bank.
Well done CFC.

Nov 13, 2015
In Transit
AFL Club
Carlton
They very nearly smashed us out of existence, that isn't a deterrent, that was vindictive. Why didn't they deal with Essendon as harshly over the drug scandal? They knew what they did to us was over the top and they weren't going to do it again.

I don't disagree it wasn't harsh, nor have they been consistent, but the act was still our doing and so were the subsequent years.

It cost you nothing (money wise) to strip back a business, in this case, undertake a rebuild, yet without playing finals for a number of years, we are debt free and record membership

Supporters aren't stupid, at either end of the scale

I don't disagree it wasn't harsh, nor have they been consistent, but the act was still our doing and so were the subsequent years.

It cost you nothing (money wise) to strip back a business, in this case, undertake a rebuild, yet without playing finals for a number of years, we are debt free and record membership

Supporters aren't stupid, at either end of the scale

Of course they aren't Arr0w, never denied we were to blame for the salary cap breaches, nor that we took far too long to embark upon a proper rebuild.

FitzroyBlueBagger

FitzroyBlueBagger
Sep 30, 2018
Fitzroy
AFL Club
Carlton
Our problem was we were too proud to rebuild the hard way for a long time and when we did decide to do it, 10-12 years had passed.
Problem was B25, is we had no clue, we we’re a f’kn basket case in every every facet a club could ever possibly operate... We we’re a joke... Thank f’k that’s done and dusted 👍

Cripps 'n' Blue Bloods

Sir Cripps of Carlton House
Mar 26, 2015
Bendigo
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Melbourne Tigers, Bendigo Braves, OKC
More importantly, * were found guilty of breaching the cap in a flag year. You know what's a good deterent for that? Take the god damned flag off them!
I'd say the same thing about us if we were found guilty in 1995.

Aug 26, 2004
CHANEL BOUTIQUE!
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
"Goddess"
The Age reporting that the non aligned committee candidate (hollingworth) is attacking the board, benefactors, coaching changes etc.

FitzroyBlueBagger

FitzroyBlueBagger
Sep 30, 2018
Fitzroy
AFL Club
Carlton
Yeah just read that article Aph... Look don’t know anything about any of these guys both upset by the SOS saga both running independent the one intriguing thing was Steve Kartib’s view in wanting AFL games back at home along with more MCG games, admire where his coming from, surely that’s what everyone would absolutely love but just so far off reality as far as any AFL game ever gracing our great ground again...

Last edited:

sosos

Premiership Player
Apr 5, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
People forget that Elliot had tried the "big dog" act on the AFL for years and years.

They never forgot that he was a prime mover in setting up a rival football league with only the biggest teams.

When dirty Ron Evans got his chance, he coaxed the young, eager to please Demetriou into levelling the unprecedented punishment.

A decade later, Demetriou understood the business a lot better, and thus gave Essendon a tickle, enabling them to rebound.

Aug 18, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
People forget that Elliot had tried the "big dog" act on the AFL for years and years.

They never forgot that he was a prime mover in setting up a rival football league with only the biggest teams.

When dirty Ron Evans got his chance, he coaxed the young, eager to please Demetriou into levelling the unprecedented punishment.

A decade later, Demetriou understood the business a lot better, and thus gave Essendon a tickle, enabling them to rebound.

Definitely got the harshest penalty but we deserved it and gave the club the cleanout it needed. Took a few cleanouts and a few more years to catch up to the way other teams had moved past 'saviour' coaches and paper bags full of money.

Aug 30, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Apr 24, 2007
at home
AFL Club
Carlton
This is good news.

That said I dont have any issue with debt either so long as it can be managed. It is a part of life for thousands of years and without it we are probably still living in caves.

The only debt that bothers me Carlton wise and I doubt will ever be paid back is the moral one the AFL owe us for what they did to the club in the early 2000's.
Should probably look up the history of debt, particularly the introduction of interest bearing debt. Not the right thread, but just had to comment on the incorrect assumption made.

On SM-G920I using BigFooty.com mobile app

Gw2_James

Club Legend
Sep 4, 2014
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton

Who exactly was Ron Evans, and why did he want to punish us so severely? I was a young kid during this period, so i don't have many memories to the lead up, during, and aftermath of the salary cap breaches.

I'll never forget those days when I'd go to footy training, and most kids would wear their teams guernsey, me wearing carlton and essentially getting picked on because our team had been rubbish for a few years. Those were dark times.

Doro

Collective Narcissism Support Group
Sep 22, 2011
62 West Wallaby St.
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Wensleydale Wanderers
Who exactly was Ron Evans, and why did he want to punish us so severely? I was a young kid during this period, so i don't have many memories to the lead up, during, and aftermath of the salary cap breaches.

I'll never forget those days when I'd go to footy training, and most kids would wear their teams guernsey, me wearing carlton and essentially getting picked on because our team had been rubbish for a few years. Those were dark times.
Former Essendon president and later chairman of the AFL commission. Fair to say the severity of the salary cap penalty was largely due to his recommendations.

sosos

Premiership Player
Apr 5, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
I used the wrong moniker. It was "Rotten Ron Evans"

He was chairman of the AFL during this period. He was president of Essendon prior to becoming Chairman to Wayne Jackson at the AFL, Demetriou's predecessor.

The 90s were a chaotic period for the league, and the AFL had been copping brick bats from Elliot for years.

Unrelated to the story, but indicative of his inner rot was that he was the owner of Spotless Catering and the AFL awarded his company the exclusive catering rights for the MCG and Marvel Stadium.

When the salary cap rorting came to light, Rotten Ron coaxed the greenhorn CEO to whack Carlton, but virtually ignored Essendon who had rorted the cap in a premiership year.

I have no qualm with being punished. Carlton and Essendon were the two worst exponents of the heinous art known as salary cap cheating. It had to be stopped.

I have some qualm about the severity. We were broke at the time. We'd turfed Elliot and installed Ian Collins, new Carlton president, and ex right hand man to Jackson at the AFL. Stephen OReilly, the worst recruit of all time dobbed Carlton in.
Collins coaxed Steve Silvagni, Fraser Brown and Craig Bradley to tell the truth. Silvagni and Bradley cooperated, Brown refused.

Collins thought we'd have a better chance of escaping a large penalty. He was wrong. A club already on it's knees financially and list wise was splattered against the wall by the vindictive AFL.

But to let Essendon go free at around the same time? I believe that was corrupt behaviour and was driven by Rotten Ron, Essendon stooge.

Carlton's near death experience was a lesson for Fat Andy who finally understood that the bottom line was more important than anything else, so when the next club needed to be dealt with harshly, he beat them with a soft feather.

The bitter pill for Carlton supporters is it was that fetid corpse of a club, Essendon who yet again, got away with it.

Back